THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns Will Entertain Trade Offers

Kosar_For_President

Cleveland Browns head coach Rob Chudzinski didn't exactly come out and say it, but the idea of trading one of his quarterbacks isn't out of the picture, according to Mary Kay Cabot of the Plain Dealer.

Chudzinski didn't say the team would definitely explore trades, but the Browns are "looking to improve our team in any areas, by any means of doing that." Last year's rookie starter, Brandon Weeden, and Colt McCoy could be had, apparently, if the price is right:

"We have three guys here that provide competition and we'll leave it open to whatever happens in terms of any other possible scenarios,'' said Chudzinski. "We're going to look at everything, every possibility to try to make the team better. I'm excited about Brandon.

"Obviously Colt has been here, has won games, has some unique abilities himself that I'm excited about. Again, getting all those guys in the building and see what they can do and being around them and really getting a chance to really evaluate them."

Chudzinski said he's confident new offensive coordinator Norv Turner can help Weeden improve his game. However, Chudzinski has not committed to a starter for 2013.

Mike Krupka at Dawgs By Nature doesn't think trade speculation necessarily means Weeden is out of a job, or that the Browns are looking for another franchise quarterback:

From the top down, the Browns have failed to publicly endorse Brandon Weeden. Many perceive this non-endearing stance as their indictment of Weeden's abilities. The front office has, however, publically stated that there will be a competition. I may be in the minority but I don't think this noncommittal stance is a bad thing. I do feel that drafting a QB early or spending big in FA would be.

Weeden, 29, started 15 games for the Browns last season and led the team to a 5-10 record. He completed 57 percent of his passes for 3,385 yards. He threw 14 touchdowns and 17 interceptions. Weeden was the No. 22 overall pick in last year's draft out of Oklahoma State.

McCoy, 25, was the team's primary starter in 2011. In 13 starts, the Browns went 4-9. He completed 57 percent of his passes for 2,733 yards and 14 touchdowns. He threw 11 picks. McCoy played in just three games last year, compiling 17 passes.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unless by the wildest stretch of the imagination Joe Flacco actually does hit the FA market, there is absofuckinglutely nothing out there in the Draft of the FA market that is an upgrade over BW3. And I include in that Alex Smith.

If Chud liked Weeden he would have said so by now. Weeds is probably gonzo. Even if he stays he'd just be backing up DA anyway.

Unless by the wildest stretch of the imagination Joe Flacco actually does hit the FA market, there is absofuckinglutely nothing out there in the Draft of the FA market that is an upgrade over BW3. And I include in that Alex Smith.

Some draft gurus have Gino Smith going top five- take it FWIW. (Even possibly to the Browns.

If Chud liked Weeden he would have said so by now. Weeds is probably gonzo. Even if he stays he'd just be backing up DA anyway.

Unless you're hoping for a miracle repeat of DA's 1\2 a good season, he isn't an upgrade over Weeden. Yes, it has happened a couple of times in NFL history where qbs have stunk for years, and turned it around. Jim Plunkett, and Vinny Testaverde. But the general rule is one a stinker, always a stinker.

Doesn't the first line in the story say its just hearsay. I do believe that if Geno falls to 6 then yes the other 2 will be traded for 6th rounders or so.

Wow, you think Weeds has dropped to a sixth round value after one year?

He's got a Flacco-esque arm, I would think they would trade/cut McCoy and bring someone to compete with Weeds for the job.

I don't see them going for Geno, although the timing is right since they just got hired and have a couple of years of rope to develop someone. So maybe.

Zombo

Wow, you think Weeds has dropped to a sixth round value after one year?

He's got a Flacco-esque arm, I would think they would trade/cut McCoy and bring someone to compete with Weeds for the job.

I don't see them going for Geno, although the timing is right since they just got hired and have a couple of years of rope to develop someone. So maybe.

Zombo

No, I like Weeds, I just think other teams will not give up much do to his age. If Brandon was in this years draft and was 21 he would be selected #1 overall. He has the talent. I think the Browns are just making BW3 sweat it out and earn it. That usually brings the best out in a player. If he takes the bull buy the horns and succeeds he is the leader they are looking for, if not then he will not be our qb.

Colt is a leader, look at the guys that came to his hometown in Texas and had practiced during the lockout.

He makes things happen and he's exciting to watch when he's in his element.

Everybody said Colt could be an excellent QB but he needed weapons around him to be successful, well, now we have some weapons on Offense. Trent Richardson, Josh Gordon, Greg Little, Travis Benjamin, Josh Cribbs, Cameron and although not a weapon, Mitchell Schwartz IS an upgrade over Tony "Turnstile" Pashos.

The improved O-line buying McCoy more time, creating lanes and windows to find recievers will only make him that much more effective. He took exactly 0 snaps with the first team offense last year... that alone called for Mike Holmgren and Pat Shurmur to be axed.

Colt has been around the NFL enough that the game is going to start to slow down for him. I can truly see Colt McCoy as Drew Brees in the coming years. By that time Weeden will be watching the Breeze, laid up in his grandfather rocking chair on the porches of Oklahoma... probably watching Weeds grow. I'm betting that watching Weeden "watch" weeds grow would actually be more exciting than "watching" him try to play football.

Go Colt- Show em who the real McCoy is. Colt is the Man, Colt for QB. Colt for Prez! ... hell, he'd probably be better than Obama.

Colt is a leader, look at the guys that came to his hometown in Texas and had practiced during the lockout.

Everybody said Colt could be an excellent QB but he needed weapons around him to be successful, well, now we have some weapons on Offense. Trent Richardson, Josh Gordon, Greg Little, Travis Benjamin, Josh Cribbs, Cameron and although not a weapon, Mitchell Schwartz IS an upgrade over Tony "Turnstile" Pashos.

The improved O-line buying McCoy more time, creating lanes and windows to find recievers will only make him that much more effective. He took exactly 0 snaps with the first team offense last year... that alone called for Mike Holmgren and Pat Shurmur to be axed.

Colt has been around the NFL enough that the game is going to start to slow down for him. I can truly see Colt McCoy as Drew Brees in the coming years. By that time Weeden will be watching the Breeze, laid up in his grandfather rocking chair on the porches of Oklahoma... probably watching Weeds grow. I'm betting that watching Weeden "watch" weeds grow would actually be more exciting than "watching" him try to play football.

Go Colt- Show em who the real McCoy is. Colt is the Man, Colt for QB. Colt for Prez! ... hell, he'd probably be better than Obama.

I hope you fall off a cliff.

I hope you fall off a cliff.

You can't handle the Truth? Will it destroy your mancrush toward Weeden? Let it go, Colt is the better option going forward. Weeden might have a chance in the Arena League though. Maybe you and Weeden can take your act to Canada and entertain the seals 'n shit. Probably just as exciting as watching water freeze... and I could do that all year round, just open up the freezer. When I watch Browns I want to see somebody who wants to win, not some Grandpappy aiming up his crockett shot. Actually, maybe you could promote an event where we all watch Weeden and Grandma crochet together for 3 hours.

Eh, maybe not.

;)

You can't handle the Truth? Will it destroy your mancrush toward Weeden? Let it go, Colt is the better option going forward. Weeden might have a chance in the Arena League though. Maybe you and Weeden can take your act to Canada and entertain the seals 'n shit. Probably just as exciting as watching water freeze... and I could do that all year round, just open up the freezer. When I watch Browns I want to see somebody who wants to win, not some Grandpappy aiming up his crockett shot. Actually, maybe you could promote an event where we all watch Weeden and Grandma crochet together for 3 hours.

Eh, maybe not.

;)

I'm pretty sure you're the last person to be able to talk about a "mancrush". 90% of your posts are either "Tr3nt RiChaRdS0n iz da b3st!!1" or "C0Lt McC0y Iz teh kewl!"

I'm all for whichever quarterback gives us the best chance to win. History has proven that's not McCoy. Weeden hasn't fared much better but has many more tools and fits our OC and HC's scheme better.

When I watch the Browns, I'd rather see somebody actually win than just "want to win".

Your mancrush posts have become tiresome. You contribute essentially nothing to this board in terms of valid conversation.

Would you like to set up a poll about this. I'm sure my contribution is more desirable than your ill-concieved quickly contrived blathering much ado about nothing.

Would you like to set up a poll about this. I'm sure my contribution is more desirable than your ill-concieved quickly contrived blathering much ado about nothing.

If you set up the poll yourself, you'll have successfully doubled your production on this board.

Everybody said Colt could be an excellent QB but he needed weapons around him

a fan's loyalty towards a player can only last for so long when said player doesn't produce. everyone hopes and wishes every pick and signing the browns make turns out aces. hell look at the new staff and their unwillingness to name weeden as the starter. talk about loyalty. orgs don't have the time anymore to invest in players who are just ok.

i didn't like the pick of mccoy at first calling him soft after getting knocked out of the championship game. he proved me wrong in that regard.

you are right when you say the majority of us were saying he needed some weapons to prove himself. he was shafted by holmgren and shurmer with the weeden pick. NOT that they drafted weeden, but the fact that there was no real QB competition allowed when the walrus and his golden boy said there would be.

but reality is reality. mccoy is probably the smartest QB on the brown's roster but people are right when they say his arm isn't that strong. he's great rolling out and throwing the 16 yard pass but you mentioned brees in comparison....poG....brees can throw a 60 yarder hiccupping. mccoy can't do it on his best day.

The Plain Dealer said they will BRING IN a veteran QB to challenge Weeden. Not McCoy. I think he will be traded before long. Who knows, they may trade both of them.

All sorts of qb's struggled when they came into the league at first. Bradshaw did.

It's a complicated game. A lot has to do with the talent around them.

The most ignorant thing Shurmur and co did was to throw

McCoy out of the competition, and hand it to their choice in the first round. I like Weeden

for his arm strength, but he shows no fire. Now, maybe shurmur's playcalling and screwed-up

sending of the plays in.... etc... has him getting fiery and after it....not just setting back and going with the circus flow.

If they bring somebody in, at least there will be a genuine competition, not just "here's our guy and we won't let

McCoy show us up with his experience and feet" or something.

With the addition of Schwartz, hey, McCoy should have had a chance to show what he can do.

There have been "cannon arms" come and go in this league, and qb's with no cannon arm make it.

I reckon it's true that Pashos was playing hurt, which should never, never have been necessary - I would

have loved to see the Browns have drafted a RT in the first round over Braydone Edwards anytime.

Hey, our eval of a lot of Browns players could easily change around, now that we have a kickass

all pro coaching staff that will tailor the way they play, to the strengths of the players they have.

NOT the "here's my system and you knuckleheads go out and be different to fit in it" crap.

And they are considering setting FA and the draft back a bit? dammit. I can't wait for training camp !

Strange feeling that the Browns would pick a qb at six this year?

It would be strange if I got that feeling......

Barkley runs a 4.8, and doesn't have the big arm.

Really, he couldn't beat out Colt McCoy on fire, leadership, he's slower-footed,

and his arm is questionably slightly stronger than McCoy's.

I really don't see that as any kind of possibility.

Who knows? That's just what my dumb opinion is...

about Barkley:

"Some will knock his size, "average" arm strength or the fact that he has never faced SEC competition. While Barkley is a touch shorter than scouts would prefer,

I've had numerous sources who saw him in person at the Manning Passing Academy tell me he showed greater zip than expected,

though I'd like to see him improve his accuracy on the deep ball."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tojEHVSTHhg

I think he's got a better arm than a lot of fans give him credit for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tojEHVSTHhg

I won't disrespect you PG because you are obviously a huge fan of the Browns. BUT, there are two things you have to admit about McCoy. 1, he has no zip on the long ball, he is a DB's dream QB due to the ball hanging so long. 2, he will never lead a team to a deep playoff run, let alone a Super Bowl. That is what we want, just like one of the posters on here named CLE wants playoffs. That is what we all want, and we will NOT get it from McCoy

I won't disrespect you PG because you are obviously a huge fan of the Browns. BUT, there are two things you have to admit about McCoy. 1, he has no zip on the long ball, he is a DB's dream QB due to the ball hanging so long. 2, he will never lead a team to a deep playoff run, let alone a Super Bowl. That is what we want, just like one of the posters on here named CLE wants playoffs. That is what we all want, and we will NOT get it from McCoy

PG, your fandom is admirable, your objectivity is poor. Look, Heckert and Holmgren have forgotten more about football than you and I will ever know. Do you believe they just said, "gee that McCoy kid sucks, let's draft another quarterback?" They broke down tape of every play McCoy ran first, knew what the call was, knew where the wrs were supposed to be. They graded Colt out- and they found him lacking. He's a smart kid- with physical limitations for the qb job. Let it go.

That's not to say our recently departed Front Office was incapable of making mistakes- because they did, taking Trent Richardson at #3. I said all along, in today's NFL you don't draft RBs high- Mike Lombardi happens to agree with me, BTW. At least for 2012, my hunch was 100% correct, and it was more than a hunch- looking at TR's college film, I didn't see another Adrian Peterson. If you want to tell me with a straight face TRich had a better rookie season than Doug Martin, you'll get laughed off the board. Rushing Stats There's a ton of guys ahead of Richardson on that list who were second round picks, or even lower- Washington's RB was a sixth rounder, Foster was an UFA. Richardson was drafted to be the next Jim Brown\ Walter Payton. Sorry kiddo, I'm not seeing or feeling it.

I find it hard to believe we would trade Weeden. First, we would have to have a viable replacement before hand. Second, I think Weeden fits more of what Turner and Chud like to do. So even if we were to acquire another QB it would make since for Weeden to still be on the sidelines as a viable backup. McCoys days are numbered.

Archived