THE BROWNS BOARD

The Gippers

This is the list of movies that were released in 2012 that I saw...at the movies. It is probably a lot less than in most years:

Man on a Ledge

Act of Valor

Project X

Jump Street

Hunger Games

Mirror Mirror

The Three Stooges

The Raven

The Avengers

Dark Shadows

Battleship

Men In Black 3

Snow White and the Huntsman

Prometheus

Abe Lincoln: Vampire Slayer

The Dark Knight Rises

Total Recall

The Expendables 2

The Master

Looper

Taken 2

Argo

Skyfall

Man with the Iron Fist

Lincoln

Twilight Part 4

Red Dawn

Rise of the Guardians

Hitchcock

The Hobbit

Zero Dark 30

Django

I will give my own "Gipper" Awards in a few categories:

Best Movie: Argo. Takes it because of all the reasons it won the Oscar.

...Runnerup: Lincoln.

Worst Movie: Taken 2. As much as I like Liam Neeson, and as much as I liked Taken, this one was just a fucking mess of a movie. The directing and editing was piss poor.

....Runnerup: Twilight Part 4. (I am not as down on this series as many men, but this movie caused the entire franchise to go out with a whimper instead of a bang)

Best "Remake": Not a remake of a particular movie, but of a series: The Three Stooges. The portrayals were spot on.

...Runnerup: Dark Shadows. Perfect venue for Burton/Depp et all.

Worst Remake: Red Dawn. Its bad enough they tried to do essentially a Cold War movie 20 years after the Cold War ended, but in this case they completed truncated the entire plot, as if they got bored and didn't want to make any more of it. I guess that was OK because I didn't want to see much more.

....Runnerup: Total Recall. It was just OK at best. Not as good by any means as the original

Most Fun at the Movies: The Hobbit. The one movie I definitely want to see again

...Runnerup: Skyfall. Hey, it JB. And one of the more entertaining plots in decades of the JB franchise

Movie that I liked that No One else did: Battleship. Seeing the USS Missouri in action was great as far as I was concerned.

...Runnerup: The Hunger Games. Many "men" scoff at this series. Not me. I like it. I have read the books and liked the movie.

Most Disappointing: The Dark Knight Rises. Maybe I will have to see it again to get a better feel for it, but I didn't like the plotting or the pacing of this movie. And I thought they did an absolute disservice to have the villain in that mask with a disembodied voice. It was no Darth Vader. What a disappointment after Heath Ledger's Joker. But I did like Anne Hathaway as Catwoman.

Runnerup: The Avengers. I think having too many Superheros doesn't work well, especially when half the movie is just blowing shit up....thus causing the plot to suffer.

Best Actor: Daniel Day Lewis, no doubt. What an incredible portrayal of an American Icon

....Runnerup: Anthony Hopkins as Hitcock. Third place: John Cusack as Edgar Allen Poe

Best Supporting Actor: Fuck it: 3 way tie: Cristoph Waltz/Leonardo Dicaprio for Django and Phillip Seymour Hoffman for The Master

Best Actress: Jessica Chastain. Zero Dark Thirty. Though I was a little disappointed by the overall movie, it was not because of her performance.

...Runnerup: Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss in the Hunger Games. She won the Oscar for a different movie that I haven't seen. She must be really good in that as I liked her a lot in this.

Archived