THE BROWNS BOARD

Illegal Immigrants Being Released From Prison To Save Money On The Eve Of Sequester

BadNewsBrowns

http://new.rt.com/usa/ice-immigrant-illegal-prison-495/

Illegal immigrants are being released from US detention facilities in wake of looming federal budget cuts that would slash funding for the removal and detention of illegal aliens.

In an attempt to save money ahead of the automatic budget cuts, which are scheduled to take effect Friday, the detainees are being released in the US – even though they are facing the prospect of deportation.

For several days, Immigrations and Customs Enforcement (ICE) has been opening their doors, sending off “low priority” detainees with little more than ankle bracelets and parole.

“All I can say is look, we’re doing our very best to minimize the impacts of sequester,” Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano said in a press briefing Monday. “But there’s only so much I can do. I’m supposed to have 34,000 detention beds for immigration. How do I pay for those?”

The average daily cost of detaining an immigrant is $122 to $164 per detainee, the American Civil Liberties Union reports. In 2011, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) detained 429,000 immigrants, which is more than twice as much as the 202,000 that were detained in 2002. The National Immigration Forum estimates that it would cost the federal government only 30 cents to $14 per day to monitor a detainee on supervised release.

Illegal immigrants are often kept in prison-like conditions, with many of them reporting poor sanitation conditions, lack of medical services, and abusive treatment by detention personnel. Still, the government shovels out billions of dollars each year to house inmates using its 34,000 beds – money that could be saved if less immigrants were kept behind bars.

Earlier this month, DHS proposed a $5.65 billion budget for ICE. But the sequester has forced the agency to find alternate ways to keep track of illegals.

“In order to make the best use of our limited detention resources in the current fiscal climate and to manage our detention population under current congressionally mandated levels, ICE has directed field offices to review the detained population to ensure it is in line with available funding,” ICE spokeswoman Gillian Christensen said in a statement.

Christensen also confirmed that illegal immigrations are continuing to be deported at record levels and that cases against them will continue, even if they have been temporarily released. ICE claims that the Obama administration has expelled more immigrants than ever before and that the release of low-priority immigrants will only allow the agency to better focus on high-level offenders.

While advocacy groups largely applauded the decision to release low-priority illegal immigrants, they also expressed disappointment in the fact that it took looming budget cuts to force ICE to do so.

“The people being released today are people ICE could have released months – or in some cases, years – ago,” Mohammad Abdollahi, member of the Dreamer-led National Immigrant Youth Alliance, told the Huffington Post.

“It shouldn’t take a manufactured crisis in Washington to prompt our immigration agencies to actually take steps towards using government resources wisely or keeping families together,” Carolina Canizales of United We Dream told the New York Times.

But some opponents of the administration’s initiatives have condemned ICE for releasing illegal immigrants, concerned that the move is a political one made in support of letting more immigrants stay in the country.

One Republican aide who reviewed the DHS budget told the Washington Times than only about 5 percent of the ICE budget would be cut by the sequester and that savings could come from a cut in maintenance funds instead of releasing detainees.

“It is ludicrous for the administration to assert that the immediate release of thousands of already-apprehended illegal aliens and fugitives is the way to meet this target,” the aide said. “Clearly this is a political decision – not a financial one.”

http://new.rt.com/us...gal-prison-495/

Illegal immigrants are being released from US detention facilities in wake of looming federal budget cuts that would slash funding for the removal and detention of illegal aliens.

In an attempt to save money ahead of the automatic budget cuts, which are scheduled to take effect Friday, the detainees are being released in the US – even though they are facing the prospect of deportation.

For several days, Immigrations and Customs Enforcement (ICE) has been opening their doors, sending off "low priority" detainees with little more than ankle bracelets and parole.

"All I can say is look, we're doing our very best to minimize the impacts of sequester," Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano said in a press briefing Monday. "But there's only so much I can do. I'm supposed to have 34,000 detention beds for immigration. How do I pay for those?"

The average daily cost of detaining an immigrant is $122 to $164 per detainee, the American Civil Liberties Union reports. In 2011, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) detained 429,000 immigrants, which is more than twice as much as the 202,000 that were detained in 2002. The National Immigration Forum estimates that it would cost the federal government only 30 cents to $14 per day to monitor a detainee on supervised release.

Illegal immigrants are often kept in prison-like conditions, with many of them reporting poor sanitation conditions, lack of medical services, and abusive treatment by detention personnel. Still, the government shovels out billions of dollars each year to house inmates using its 34,000 beds – money that could be saved if less immigrants were kept behind bars.

Earlier this month, DHS proposed a $5.65 billion budget for ICE. But the sequester has forced the agency to find alternate ways to keep track of illegals.

"In order to make the best use of our limited detention resources in the current fiscal climate and to manage our detention population under current congressionally mandated levels, ICE has directed field offices to review the detained population to ensure it is in line with available funding," ICE spokeswoman Gillian Christensen said in a statement.

Christensen also confirmed that illegal immigrations are continuing to be deported at record levels and that cases against them will continue, even if they have been temporarily released. ICE claims that the Obama administration has expelled more immigrants than ever before and that the release of low-priority immigrants will only allow the agency to better focus on high-level offenders.

While advocacy groups largely applauded the decision to release low-priority illegal immigrants, they also expressed disappointment in the fact that it took looming budget cuts to force ICE to do so.

"The people being released today are people ICE could have released months – or in some cases, years – ago," Mohammad Abdollahi, member of the Dreamer-led National Immigrant Youth Alliance, told the Huffington Post.

"It shouldn't take a manufactured crisis in Washington to prompt our immigration agencies to actually take steps towards using government resources wisely or keeping families together," Carolina Canizales of United We Dream told the New York Times.

But some opponents of the administration's initiatives have condemned ICE for releasing illegal immigrants, concerned that the move is a political one made in support of letting more immigrants stay in the country.

One Republican aide who reviewed the DHS budget told the Washington Times than only about 5 percent of the ICE budget would be cut by the sequester and that savings could come from a cut in maintenance funds instead of releasing detainees.

"It is ludicrous for the administration to assert that the immediate release of thousands of already-apprehended illegal aliens and fugitives is the way to meet this target," the aide said. "Clearly this is a political decision – not a financial one."

Now he will expedite their becoming legal and citizens so they will vote for Michelle in 2016.

Seriously, though, if the illegal aliens are locked up than your tax dollars are 100% subsidizing their entire existance. It costs more than just letting them be and its not as if the money spent on deportation keeps them away. I'm no fan of illegal aliens but seriously what are you going to do? Build a great wall of China type structure with manned turrets across the entire border?

No, that would be apprending a fleeing criminal that won't stop....

coming into our country illegally.

Say, it is just me, or doesn't this reek of the "if you don't pass this levy for the schools,

our buses will quit running because us bigshots won't take a pay cut from our huge salaries in the school system." ?

Especially when they spend way too much money on frivolous things with their football program?

Seriously, though, if the illegal aliens are locked up than your tax dollars are 100% subsidizing their entire existance. It costs more than just letting them be and its not as if the money spent on deportation keeps them away. I'm no fan of illegal aliens but seriously what are you going to do? Build a great wall of China type structure with manned turrets across the entire border?

$163 a head, per day, per immigrant you keep in detention.

As of Saturday, ICE was holding 30,773 people in its detention system.

That's $5,015,999 a day, or $1.83 billion a year to house detained immigrants.

An ankle bracelet with a GPS tracker on it, which is what most of the released will get, costs about $15 a day.

$163 a head, per day, per immigrant you keep in detention.

As of Saturday, ICE was holding 30,773 people in its detention system.

That's $5,015,999 a day, or $1.83 billion a year to house detained immigrants.

An ankle bracelet with a GPS tracker on it, which is what most of the released will get, costs about $15 a day.

And yet I get to pay more taxes because our idiot elected officials can't see where money can be made availiable.

Yep. Make a three mile no man's land. Give em fair warning - 6 months or so, and solve the problem.

Either that, or send them to some hard core siberian prison camp forever, with only bread and water to live on.

And that would be if they came back a second time.

Fairer ? wink.gif

snapback.pngcalfoxwc, on 27 February 2013 - 01:35 AM, said:

snipers and helicopter gunships manned by our military. Take em out if they cross the line.

It's us or them.

"sigh"

Wow. Just what Jesus would do. <br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252);">You're a horrible, horrible person. Heck

Why, it isn't "horrible". After all........@@

"we just have to do something......."

Sounds about right to me, actually. You're providing a bed, three meals a day, and health care indefinitely to over 30,000 people. That takes some staff, too.

Hell, lets just close all the prisons/jails and let the inmates free. blink.gif I can think of ways to save billions without any cuts. Quit giving handouts to corrupt governments who hate us anyways.

But let's not be mistaken about why this is happening.

The president wants to punish Arizona, and he knows that a good part of his constituents don't care about, actually likes, illegal immigration.

Seriously, what does he have to lose?

He's probably secretly hoping that a few citizens are murdered by the newly freed illegals.

WSS

The president wants to punish Arizona, and he knows that a good part of his constituents don't care about, actually likes, illegal immigration.

He's probably secretly hoping that a few citizens are murdered by the newly freed illegals.

WSS

Come on, Steve. You think he secretly hopes citizens are killed by Mexican illegals? What does he stand to gain from that?

Come on, Steve. You think he secretly hopes citizens are killed by Mexican illegals? What does he stand to gain from that?

What does he have to gain?

Don't be naive.

He'll be happy to demagogue the issue if he gets a chance, that's the idea.

Those Republicans forced me to cut back a tiny fraction of the projected increase in my budget!

I was forced to release criminals into the streets, I had no choice!

Look what you made me do!

Oh maybe he's not actively rubbing his hands gleefully wishing for death but you can bet your ass he'll play the card happily if he gets the chance.

Wss

WSS

Hahaha.

Holy shit...

WSS

Let's just keep that one for the books, because if I didn't know I'd think Bunker wrote it.

Please tell me you're drinking in the afternoons again.

Archived