THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns 'absent' for Senior Bowl?

WPB Dawg Fan

I saw this and found it interesting:

Browns staff sparse at Senior Bowl

By Carlos "Big C" Holmes | Wednesday, January 21, 2009, 10:26 AM

Day two in Mobile got off to a brisk beginning as I awoke to temperatures in the 30’s. So I grabbed some coffee and a breakfast Danish made especially for me by my personal chef Otis Spunkmeyer, and prepared myself for a morning of cold and more interviews.

While at the North practice, I noticed something unusual. There seemed to be a lack of personnel from the Cleveland Browns organization. The Browns staff is usually scattered about Mobile like fire ants. This year it’s more like Where’s Waldo?

Every year I look forward to seeing a familiar face from the Browns organization, Zac Jackson, who covers the Senior Bowl like a lid on a Tupperware container, but he was nowhere to be found in Mobile. Huh, Mr. Jackson where are you? Browns fans are lost without your coverage.

To appease my curiosity I went searching for answers. Apparently, with a new regime in Cleveland, significant changes are expected to take place in their house from top to bottom. I was told by a source that the organization was going through some major restructuring but they were not specific on details.

It was also stated that with no General Manager in place the organization is lagging behind a bit.

Here are my thoughts. If there are major changes afoot let them be tough. No more of this wishy washy quarterback business or prima donna players throwing tantrums. Address some of these team issues first. I know Browns fans would love to see the team accomplish what the Arizona Cardinals have this season and that can’t even begin happen until the team becomes one.

I like Eric Mangini but too many times we have seen defensive coordinators who are brilliant at that position fail as head coaches. (Think Romeo Crennel.) I just hope he is not being set up to fail with what seems to be a slow front office process taking place in Cleveland. I am very curious to see what transpires during the next several months in Browns Town. I will do my best to keep Browns fans updated and I hope to get more concrete information on what is taking place with the club while here in Mobile.

First let me say I am NOT a fan of Big C. I think he is average at best in his reporting. With that said....

His comparison of Mangini to RAC is laughable. RAC was a lifetime DC with no HC experience...and Mangini already has 2 winning seasons out of 3...with an average at best NY Jets club. Mangini also has experience dealing with a prima donna or two (read Favre) and the disruption of a QB controversy (read Favre replacing team fave Pennington). He also has put in place assistant coaches with PREVIOUS EXPERIENCE in the positions. RAC brought in ALL ROOKIES.

As for us NOT being at the Senior Bowl and blaming that on a new regime. How about all the other teams out there that STILL don't have GM's or HC's? I mean there are several teams that don't have EITHER. Besides, it is obvious that Mangini is the driving force here...and he is in place. We have already heard of how many players the Browns have interviewed at the Senior Bowl. Could it be that Mangini thinks there is a better use for the staff than sending them ALL to one place?

Anyway, I thought it interesting enough to share...but find it a bit narrow in scope and opinion.

Guest Aloysius

Weird...Scott Wright's been putting on pretty long lists of prospects our scouts have been talking to.

Like you said, this may just be a case of bad reporting. And who cares if the Browns' media guy (Zac Jackson) isn't there? The scouts are the ones who will affect whom we draft.

Guest ATENEARS

I thought this is why we rushed the process?

Mangini himself ought to be there, he can conduct interviews for minor coaching roles and such from there. If your source of income was through the Cleveland Browns, where else would ya be?

The Brown's are well represented there headed by Daniel Jeremiah who should be named the Browns Director of college scouting or Asst Director of Player Personnel when the new GM comes aboard. T.J. McCreight is acting GM, but is more involved in Pro Scouting.

The scouts will bring back plenty of info and a lot of tape will be watched on some of these guys before the combine and pro days.

IMO I'm glad that Mangini is taking the time with his assistants to learn his roster and get his staff in place. They have playbooks to get ready for the OTAs and decisions to be made on what the priority of needs are. Who stays and who goes. I wouldn't worry too much about them missing out on anything that happens at the pro bowl. That's why they pay scouting staffs.

Weird...Scott Wright's been putting on pretty long lists of prospects our scouts have been talking to.

Like you said, this may just be a case of bad reporting. And who cares if the Browns' media guy (Zac Jackson) isn't there? The scouts are the ones who will affect whom we draft.

Likewise, Matt Mcguire of Walterfootball has us talking to the most players at the senior bowl. That article itself is a bit wishy washy, its difficult to stop players throwing tantrums although the Winslow situation should have been handled better, everyone knows that. Not really buying this one just because Zac Jackson isn't there. The scouts will be there for sure, maybe not as high profile...

I think C is used to the Savage method...as he said....like fireants all over the place.

You don't have to be all over the place with 20 people converging on the town.

All indications are we are there and are scouting.

Phil probably brought all those people there so his Senior Bowl part looked bigger.

You dont need but 1-3 good guys there im sure the browns and mangini are attending urgent policy making,structure forming type matters and getting things together with all the new assistants thats by far more important as seen with kokinis spending 2 days with the staff thats a solid approach..

In unrelated news:

There were 3 laid off at the front office 2 in football operations and a secretary...no names but its a start! ;)

Archived