THE BROWNS BOARD

A New and Improved Zombo

Chicopee John

Zombo2000's eyebrow was so long he brushed it each morning

updated 9:47 p.m. ET, Tues., Jan. 20, 2009

Naples, FL. - A 42-year-old man with a uni-brow so long he brushed it each morning raised $1,600 for charity from people who paid to take turns trimming his out-of-control brow. Some of the wiry hairs shorn from Zombo2000's shaggy eyebrow measured more than 3 inches long because it had never been trimmed.

Zombo2000's uni-brow was so long he used to brush it before leaving the house. But he agreed to have the overgrown brow tamed last week by members of the Naples Rotary Club to raise money for a polio eradication campaign.

"I don't care if it ever grow back," he told The Herald-Times of Naples. "TopJock says I look 20 years younger."

Lawyers, bankers and others put up $100 each for their turn to snip away at his eyebrow, with the money going to Rotary International's PolioPlus, which has raised $500 million for polio eradication in the developing world since 1985.

"Beneath the brow is a really handsome man," TJ said. "He looks like a normal person. I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts."

The eyebrow-trimming campaign started last year when Rotary Club members in the city about 25 miles southwest of Naples wondered aloud what it would take to get Zombo to tame his bushy brow. Members started bidding for the chance to become snippers at the club's Christmas dinner.

Zombo2000 said he realized he couldn't back out of the uni-brow trim because he's donated $7,000 to PolioPlus for vaccines over the years.

Archived