THE BROWNS BOARD

Non Sports Trivia

The Gipper

On another board I often put together non sports related trivia, but I have rarely posted them here. But, I will start to do so. This is an eclectic mix of some of my favorite non sports subjects:

Daphne says she will be regular on here again. Let's test her out with some trivia combining a lot of my favorite subjects:

1. What is the only state whose borders are completely natural? No man made lines.

2. What is the deadliest battle in US military history?

3. What was the deadliest hurricane in US history?

4. What were the deadliest riots in US history?

5. This list of countries is in their native language. State what the countries are as we know them:

Ellas:

Suomi:

Mesr:

Hayastan:

Al-Jaza'ir

Zhongguo

6. Who was the first King to be known as The King of Great Britain?

7. In which election did a US Presidential Candidate receive the most electoral votes, yet did not become President? (If you don't know the year, state who the candidates were)

8. Match the "Leader" with his height:

Leaders:

Abe Lincoln

Charlemagne

Edward I aka "Longshanks"

George Washington

Goliath

Henry VIII

Napoleon

Peter the Great

William Wallace

Heights: 5'6", 6'2", 6'3", 6'4", 6'5", 6'7", 6'7", 9'6"

9. Who are the only 2 Presidents who commanded troops in the field, while they were President?

10. Per the 2007 AFI's Top 100 movies of all time list, which year had the most movies on that top 100 list. Name the year and some of the movies.

11. In 2004, Rolling Stone Magazine put out its list of the Top 500 songs of the "Rock Era".

Answer these questions about that list:

A. Which song, predictably, was listed as the #1 song?

B. Only one song on the list did not contain any English in its lyrics. Which song?

C. Name the only song written prior to 1950. Hint, possibly considered "country", but covered by rock artists.

D. Name the only instrumental. Hint: It was NOT the theme to Hawaii 5-0, which should have probably made the list.

E. Who had the most songs on the list?

On another board I often put together non sports related trivia, but I have rarely posted them here. But, I will start to do so. This is an eclectic mix of some of my favorite non sports subjects:

Daphne says she will be regular on here again. Let's test her out with some trivia combining a lot of my favorite subjects:

1. What is the only state whose borders are completely natural? No man made lines.

2. What is the deadliest battle in US military history? battle of the buldge

3. What was the deadliest hurricane in US history?andrew? I remember it really messing some shit up.

4. What were the deadliest riots in US history?rodney king? Probably something to do with martin luther king.

5. This list of countries is in their native language. State what the countries are as we know them:

Ellas:

Suomi:

Mesr:

Hayastan:

Al-Jaza'ir

Zhongguo

7. In which election did a US Presidential Candidate receive the most electoral votes, yet did not become President? (If you don't know the year, state who the candidates were)

Leaders:

Abe Lincoln

Charlemagne

Edward I aka "Longshanks"

George Washington

Goliath

Henry VIII

Napoleon

Peter the Great

William Wallace

9. Who are the only 2 Presidents who commanded troops in the field, while they were President?

10. Per the 2007 AFI's Top 100 movies of all time list, which year had the most movies on that top 100 list. Name the year and some of the movies.

11. In 2004, Rolling Stone Magazine put out its list of the Top 500 songs of the "Rock Era".

B. Only one song on the list did not contain any English in its lyrics. Which song?

C. Name the only song written prior to 1950. Hint, possibly considered "country", but covered by rock artists.

D. Name the only instrumental. Hint: It was NOT the theme to Hawaii 5-0, which should have probably made the list.

E. Who had the most songs on the list?

Sorry Erie Dawg, though some of your answers are close, none are correct.

I will say that the Battle of the Bulge is as I understand the 2d most deadly battle in US history, and that the Rodney King riots were the 2d deadliest riots, but each was not quite #1.

Answers:

Hawaii

2. What is the deadliest battle in US military history?

The Battle of the Meuse/Argonne in WWI. 26,000 casualties

3. What was the deadliest hurricane in US history?

The Galveston Hurricane in 1900 (unnamed). #2 was Katrina.

4. What were the deadliest riots in US history?

The New York City Draft Riots in 1863., over 100 deaths

Ellas: Greece

Suomi: Finland

Mesr: Egypt

Hayastan: Armenia

Al-Jaza'ir: Algeria

Zhongguo: China

James I, because in his personage the crowns of Scotland and England were merged.

1824: Andrew Jackson got 99 electoral votes, John Quincy Adams got 84, Henry Clay got 37 and Crawford got 41...but no one got a majority, so the selection process went into the House of Representatives who selecte J.Q. Adams over Jackson. But, note: Jackson did become a two term president after the next election of 1928.

Leaders:

Abe Lincoln 6'5"

Charlemagne 6'4"

Edward I aka "Longshanks" 6'2"

George Washington 6'3"

Goliath 9'6" ???

Henry VIII 6'4"

Napoleon 5'6"

Peter the Great 6'7"

William Wallace 6'7"

George Washington during the Whiskey Rebellion.

James Madison during the British invasion of Washington DC during the War of 1812

1939 had 5: Gone With the Wind, The Wizard of Oz, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, Stagecoach, Wuthering Heights

Like a Rolling Stone by Bob Dylan

LaBamba by Ritchie Valens

I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry, by Hank Williams

Green Onions by Booker T and the MGs

E. Who had the most songs on the list? The Beatles 23 songs.

Archived