THE BROWNS BOARD

Genetic Medicine

VaporTrail

The discussion about gun control and mental health got me thinking about genetic medicine, that is genomics, transcriptomics, proteomics, and interactomics (yes the last one is a real thing). With genomics becoming cheaper every month and CPU processing power still growing according to Moore's law (and if we figure out quantum computing, who knows how fast the limit will be), it won't be long before sequencing your genome is a medical norm. As it is, only a few hundred people (if that) have had their genomes sequenced, but as more and more people get sequenced, researchers will likely begin to identify never before seen genes and motifs that correlate with the presence of certain diseases. Once these genes of interest are identified, that gives scientists access to a brand new arsenal of therapeutic techniques. This untapped potential is why the human genome pioneers won a Nobel prize a decade ago. The scientist side of me is screaming for everyone to start getting sequenced to see what we can learn, however, this sequencing information comes with a slew of legal issues.

For the information to be meaningful, we'll need a large sample size, and the genomes of these subjects, along with their medical history, must be made available to researchers. At this point, it's easy to see why many people will have a problem with this, as this information needs to stay the hell away from insurance companies since you may be able to identify risks that an individual may be predisposed to. For me, this is the biggest reason that I want a socialized health care system, financial feasibility aside. It might be the case that genomic databases only get recorded in countries with a national healthcare system, which unfortunately limits the data that could be collected.

I'm just curious of everyone's thoughts on this subject. What do you think?

Absolutely, genome sequencing is something I'm very much looking forward to! It's just such a cool thing to have, to start with, but beyond that, as you say, the medical benefits could be enormous. Imagine if we manage to find that 98% of cancer sufferers have some defect in a gene (for example)? Medicine specifically targeting the 'correction' of that gene, if possible, would essentially be a vaccine against cancer. The same goes for other things like AIDS, ALS, and thousands of other presently incurable diseases. Except lupus, it's never lupus.

Roughly 5 % of our genome encodes for "genes." The rest we aren't really sure what it does. And of that 5% this is what we're looking at:

640px-Human_genome_by_functions.svg.png

I think we're a loooong way off from recognizing "behavioral" genomics and even further from understanding it. Would definitely be cool though.

Some things are better off left alone. This is one of them. When man starts fucking around with things, he always fucks them up.

For reference, check hollywood? Not sure what things like this we've fucked up in the past, this is extremely ground breaking.

Some things are better off left alone. This is one of them. When man starts fucking around with things, he always fucks them up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ln8-Y-fIbqM

We're not really "fucking around with things," in genomics. -omics is just the collection of genetic data and the analysis of such. And really, if that's your opinion, how do you feel about vaccines and not having to worry about measles or polio?

Like the Atom genius? Boy, that sure did a lot of good huh.

Powering a huge percentage of the grid for decades? Nuclear medicine? Isotopic dating? The potential of fusion? Yeah, terrible. Obviously we still don't know what to do with the radioactive waste, but to say in jest that it "did a lot of good huh," is quite ignorant.

Problem with man is they will always find something bad to do with their findings. I agree that nuclear medicine is good. Nuclear Bombs, bad. I imagine somewhere in the world there is already a human being cloned in some top secret lab. I don't expect a future scientist or whatever you become would agree, but many don't agree. This is the liberal diehard.

Problem with man is they will always find something bad to do with their findings. I agree that nuclear medicine is good. Nuclear Bombs, bad. I imagine somewhere in the world there is already a human being cloned in some top secret lab. I don't expect a future scientist or whatever you become would agree, but many don't agree. This is the liberal diehard.

Right

and fire

I mean,

Fire good, make warm. Fire bad, make pain!

What do with fire?

Archived