THE BROWNS BOARD

Interesting Information About Geno Smith

Sheepdog

Seems like the last two days I've been hearing more and more about the Browns drafting Geno Smith. I think drafting Smith would be a huge mistake and a bad way to start off the new regime.

Click on the link below for an ESPN Numbers Never Lie clip about Geno Smith.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hD6laIFhJbY&list=UUiQaxvhVNwKCf6q6wSb9fxA&index=2

Keep Weeden, he fits the scheme better for a vertical offense.

If Weeden doesn't work out and back office wants a new QB then go after a QB in the 2014 draft. Aaron Murray from Georgia and AJ McCarron are should be in that draft. I'm a believer that a QB should get at least 2 years to show if they have the stuff or not. This season is #1 for Weeden since he is coming into a new offense.

There's definately alot of draft buzz about Cleveland selecting Geno Smith today. I'm not sure why, as Manuel sounds like he would be more of a prototype for Chud's offenses. Personally, I think it's alot of misdirection...trying to get someone to want to trade up to get Smith. In a few hours it will all be in the history books. I'm hoping someone takes Jarvis Jones before the Steelers pick.

Like I said elsewhere, I'll be asleep when the draft happens (first pick is 1am UK time, have work in the morning). Waking up the next day it'll be like Christmas. Will I get a go kart or a lump of Geno Smith shaped coal? Will we actually address any needs or draft for ego?

Dear God have mercy on me if the Browns pick Geno Smith...

What a dumb ass thing to even mention, what a crock of complete shit this FO would prove to be. Even on a trade down they better not have any intention of taking this BUST QB anywhere in the draft. I would rather watch Weeden until he's 44 years old than suffer through even a single season of Geno Smith at the helm of our beloved Browns.

I even just saw a B/R mock draft that has the Browns trading down with SD and taking Geno Smith one pick before the 49ers trade up and take Kenny Vaccaro, if they do this I would resend my fandom and burn everything orange and brown in a 10 mile radius. :mad:

Yep fucking up your team for years to come to weed out some fake fans seems to me like a statement from a fake fan. Huh, go figure. :lol:

I wasn't aware that improving the QB position was "fucking up your team for years to come".

you're just pissed because we aren't going to pick your boy manuel.

fuck all these QBs in this draft. their agents aren't getting paid enough for trying to overhype these turds. manuel's guy must have an inside connection with someone at espn because they trotted out his sorry ass on every show yesterday.

3 out of 4 panelists who know more than you or me about QBs CALLED HIM EITHER A BUST OR A BACKUP. steven a. smith is the only one that called him a 'project' starter. and i wonder why that was? (maybe cuz he's BLACK?)

hey we draft him that's fine with me. i'm still a fan. but it will show immediately the ineptitude of this FO especially banner and lombardi and i will never forgive or forget and will be on the 'get banner and lombardi out of town' wagon starting tonite like i was with holmgren after his horrible QB picks and reaches.

you're just pissed because we aren't going to pick your boy manuel.

fuck all these QBs in this draft. their agents aren't getting paid enough for trying to overhype these turds. manuel's guy must have an inside connection with someone at espn because they trotted out his sorry ass on every show yesterday.

3 out of 4 panelists who know more than you or me about QBs CALLED HIM EITHER A BUST OR A BACKUP. steven a. smith is the only one that called him a 'project' starter. and i wonder why that was? (maybe cuz he's BLACK?)

hey we draft him that's fine with me. i'm still a fan. but it will show immediately the ineptitude of this FO especially banner and lombardi and i will never forgive or forget and will be on the 'get banner and lombardi out of town' wagon starting tonite like i was with holmgren after his horrible QB picks and reaches.

I've been on the Geno train long before last season started. I would love to have him. As a matter of fact, Manuel and Smith are pretty much the only two players Ive actually expressed consistent interest in this whole offseason.

Either pick would be fine with me. We need a QB. Had it not been for last years draft class, we'd be saying this group of guys has the most potential of any class in the last 5-6 seasons.

Everybody is too quick to say "They're no Luck/Griffin". Neither are the other 30 starting QB's in the league. Neither was Russell Wilson.

I would love to get either Smith or Manuel, but I'm not going to revoke my fanhood if we don't get them. Because I'm not a fucking 12 year old pussy like some of these guys are.

Do I need to repeat my statement from yesterday that it would fucking goddamn stupid to use first round picks two years in a row on QBs....when this team has other desperate needs? Like a couple of Defensive backs....maybe a pass rusher, maybe an OG.

A lot of people here think Lombardi is one dumb son of a bitch. I am not necessarily one of them.....but a move like this could prove to me that all those who think he is are right.

If we had not used a first round pick last year on Weeden....if we were, say, looking to replace Colt McCoy I would say going for a QB in round one may make some sense.

But first round draft choices are valuable resources. You only get ONE of them per year as a general rule.

Do NOT waste them on the same single position twice in a row.

Give the guy you got last year time to show his worth. I don't give a flying fart if this is a new "regime". It is the same team we fans root for. Dumbass GMs come and go....WE the fans are the ones that have to stay here and put up with their stupid ego games. And we are the ones who get fucked constantly while they ride off with big paychecks.

We need somebody to knock the opposing QBs on their ass. Dion Jordan, or Mingo is fine with me. If they trade down, then draft a safety or CB.

I keep thinking they're going to trade down & get offense. Chud & Norv most likely lean that way. It's fine, as long as they think we can outscore everyone. I want "D."

I'm leaning towards hopefully being able to trade down and get Warmack or Jones in the 10-15 range.

I can't believe I'm saying this buy I agree with PoG, we could move Jones to the inside and he's just the kinda playmaker we need.

If Mathieu is still there in the 3rd gonna have to take a long look at him - I think he could be the playmaking free safety we have been needing so desperately.

Also hope we can pick up travis kelce - versatile tight end with a non stop motor and plays with emotion and attitude.

Not buying that Smith is even on their radar, but if it would happen, I would be neither shocked or devastated. I would however be

hard pressed to put a positive spin on the pick to my wife.

I'm hoping we draft Smith just so we can weed out some of these fake fans.

If drafting a player causes you to rescind your fandom, you were never a fan to begin with.

Who the fuck would be a fake fan of the browns? If you're a browns fan you're a real fan. The steelers have fake fans.

Do I need to repeat my statement from yesterday that it would fucking goddamn stupid to use first round picks two years in a row on QBs....when this team has other desperate needs? Like a couple of Defensive backs....maybe a pass rusher, maybe an OG.

A lot of people here think Lombardi is one dumb son of a bitch. I am not necessarily one of them.....but a move like this could prove to me that all those who think he is are right.

If we had not used a first round pick last year on Weeden....if we were, say, looking to replace Colt McCoy I would say going for a QB in round one may make some sense.

But first round draft choices are valuable resources. You only get ONE of them per year as a general rule.

Do NOT waste them on the same single position twice in a row.

Give the guy you got last year time to show his worth. I don't give a flying fart if this is a new "regime". It is the same team we fans root for. Dumbass GMs come and go....WE the fans are the ones that have to stay here and put up with their stupid ego games. And we are the ones who get fucked constantly while they ride off with big paychecks.

You can repeat whatever the hell you want, it doesn't make it true.

Last years first round pick was a mistake. Not picking a QB in the first round this year doesn't negate that fact.

Not picking a QB simply because the previous regime reached for a QB would be a bigger mistake than picking one.

I'm not saying that's necessarily the case here, but it could be.

If we had picked John Fuckall, a 7th round prospect from East Texas Tennessee State Community College, in the first round...you wouldn't want us to pick a better QB in the next year?

They're draft picks. You guys value them like they are fucking gold.

Last year, the rumors that the browns were considering Tannehill at 4 terrified me. In hindsight, I feel that Tannehill and Martin would've been a far better scenario than T-rich and Weeden. I still think that the Geno/Manuel talk is a smokescreen, but if one of those guys comes in right away and gives the fans 9-10 wins this year all the angst caused by the pick will dissipate pretty quickly.

You can repeat whatever the hell you want, it doesn't make it true.

Last years first round pick was a mistake. Not picking a QB in the first round this year doesn't negate that fact.

Not picking a QB simply because the previous regime reached for a QB would be a bigger mistake than picking one.

I'm not saying that's necessarily the case here, but it could be.

If we had picked John Fuckall, a 7th round prospect from East Texas Tennessee State Community College, in the first round...you wouldn't want us to pick a better QB in the next year?

They're draft picks. You guys value them like they are fucking gold.

Only in your freeking opinion was last year's pick a mistake. Chud and Norv may disagree with you. I'll take their opinion over yours.

And goddam right draft picks are like fucking gold. They are more valuable than gold. An NFL team only gets 7 of them per year. First round choices are even more valuable.

If Gold is 1500 bucks an ounce, a 225 pound man made of gold would be worth $5,400,000....which is almost certainly less than the price of a first round draft pick.

A first round pick in terms of value to a team is worth far more than that potentially.

Either pick would be fine with me. We need a QB. Had it not been for last years draft class, we'd be saying this group of guys has the most potential of any class in the last 5-6 seasons.

Said no one ever. This is just BS. Look if there was a substantial upgrade at QB to be had then I couldn't argue against it. But there isn't. Geno Smith is a dink and dunk QB and of the two you mentioned I would rather have Manuel but at the price of #6. And I don't think Manuel is that much different than Weeden from a talent perspective. So while its possible both are upgrades over Weeden, are they big enough to warrant drafting one. I think the answer is clearly no.

Said no one ever. This is just BS. Look if there was a substantial upgrade at QB to be had then I couldn't argue against it. But there isn't. Geno Smith is a dink and dunk QB and of the two you mentioned I would rather have Manuel but at the price of #6. And I don't think Manuel is that much different than Weeden from a talent perspective. So while its possible both are upgrades over Weeden, are they big enough to warrant drafting one. I think the answer is clearly no.

I was more referencing Manuel than Smith, actually.

The head coach of our own team said Manuel reminds him, and has the potential, of Newton.

Brandon Weeden, meanwhile, was compared to Chris Weinke...and he didn't do much to change that comparison.

I never said anything about taking either QB at 6. I want us to trade down to the early teens, and then possibly trade down again to the early 20s, depending on who is on the board still.

With the lack of top-end superstars in the draft but with the abundance of good, solid talent, we would be best served to have three-four picks in the first three rounds.

We can trade back and still add a very good corner in the first, take a flyer on Manuel in the second and then still get a good pass rusher and a solid OG in the third.

But if we take Smith, like I said before, I wouldn't quit being a fan, because I'm not a pussy.

Only in your freeking opinion was last year's pick a mistake. Chud and Norv may disagree with you. I'll take their opinion over yours.

And goddam right draft picks are like fucking gold. They are more valuable than gold. An NFL team only gets 7 of them per year. First round choices are even more valuable.

If Gold is 1500 bucks an ounce, a 225 pound man made of gold would be worth $5,400,000....which is almost certainly less than the price of a first round draft pick.

A first round pick in terms of value to a team is worth far more than that potentially.

I guess I just imagined all of the analysts saying reaching for Weeden at 22 was a mistake. I also guess I just imagined last season where he failed to prove them wrong.

Weeden is a lower tier starting QB at best. He's undoubtedly a step above McCoy, but that's not a ringing endorsement. He is a Fitzpatrick, a Henne, a Harrington. He's equally likely to be a liability as he is to win you the game.

I like him. I've gone to bat for him many many times. But I also know he's not going to be the face of our franchise, he's not going to be a consistent top 15 QB, much less top 5. That's what I want, that's what the Browns need.

Like it or not, the NFL is a passing league.

I guess I just imagined all of the analysts saying reaching for Weeden at 22 was a mistake. I also guess I just imagined last season where he failed to prove them wrong.

Weeden is a lower tier starting QB at best. He's undoubtedly a step above McCoy, but that's not a ringing endorsement. He is a Fitzpatrick, a Henne, a Harrington. He's equally likely to be a liability as he is to win you the game.

I like him. I've gone to bat for him many many times. But I also know he's not going to be the face of our franchise, he's not going to be a consistent top 15 QB, much less top 5. That's what I want, that's what the Browns need.

I still would like to see what he can do this year in (hopefully) an offense designed more around the strengths that he has. I'm not wild about any of the QB's that are available this year and thinking it wouldn't be the end of the world to give Weeden another year as the starter. If he doesn't have it, then we move forward next year with one of the QB's coming out next year who all the experts seem to think is a better QB class.

I'm really worried about picking Smith when his two worst games of the season last year came in cold weather. Last time I checked, it has a tendency to get kinda cold in Cleveland in November and December.

I still would like to see what he can do this year in (hopefully) an offense designed more around the strengths that he has. I'm not wild about any of the QB's that are available this year and thinking it wouldn't be the end of the world to give Weeden another year as the starter. If he doesn't have it, then we move forward next year with one of the QB's coming out next year who all the experts seem to think is a better QB class.

I'm really worried about picking Smith when his two worst games of the season last year came in cold weather. Last time I checked, it has a tendency to get kinda cold in Cleveland in November and December. small hands and lots of fumbles.

yes we have to. there is no 2 ways around it. if i had it my way i wouldn't think of picking a QB at all this year. a TE and OL would solidify our offense completely.

but i would think that most of us realize the holes on the brown's defense outweigh those on the offense. and the biggest holes are in our secondary. CB and safety should be our top 2 picks. i hope millner is there at 6 and we choose him. i also wouldn't mind or hate if someone wanted to trade up and we pick up a second rounder. warmack, then CB or safety who is the best available at those spots. if that happened and those players panned out we would have knocked it out of the park.

now if landry or manuel etc. is there in a late round and we have addressed those other holes then go for it.

And Weeden has about as good of an arm as any passer in the league....and last year he was a rookie trying to run an obsolete and inept offense. He WILL have this year to prove what he can do. Your off kilter opinion won't change that.

Archived