THE BROWNS BOARD

Am I The Only Guy Here Who...

So am I the only Cleveland Browns fan on this board who would like to see the two quarterbacks number one and two on this team being Tim Tebow and Colt McCoy?

Not to piss anybody off but...

WSS

Yes. I'm sure you are.

They were fine college QBs though.

Zombo

...I'm not even going to touch this one... :o

Am I the only Cleveland Browns fan on this board who would like to see the two quarterbacks number one and two on this team being Tim Tebow and Colt McCoy?

Dear lord I hope so.

So am I the only Cleveland Browns fan on this board who would like to see the two quarterbacks number one and two on this team being Tim Tebow and Colt McCoy?

WSS

That would have been a fine combination at a major college. Not the NFL. For Mr. Tebow, a beloved player here in Florida, NFL truly stands for Not For Long. It's time for Timmy to become a TV preacher and make more money doing that than he could in pro football.

WSS

In the words of Dennis Green....If McCoy and Tebow were what we thought they were, then those two would have been great for the Browns......but they WEREN'T what we thought they were.

WSS

I'm not sure if your angle was that you like the way they play or that you like them because they are good old-fashion wholesome Christian boys.

Because if it is the former, every scout in the NFL will tell you that Brandon Weeden and Jason Campbell have better throwing arms, throwing motions and throwing releases than Tebow and McCoy. I assume you want the Browns to have a good passer in our new passing offense?

If it's the latter ... you should know that Brandon Weeden and Jason Campbell are also good, upstanding, Christian young men. They just don't talk about it so much and write books about it.

Am i the only guy here that is truly excited to see this Chud/Turner offense in the hands of these big guns?

Zombo

Maybe Steve is just trying to emulate one of his heroes: PoeticG and is becoming a celebrity jock sniffer.

More likely he is just trying to stir up shit.

A real radical agitator that one.

Did he ever tell you about the time he ran for homecoming Queen at Akron U?

He got the sorority sisters so riled up that to this day he is under a court injunction from writing anything in the Greek Alphabet.

True story...to a point.

it has absolutely nothing to do with anybody's religious values. I'm not a Christian myself per se though I respect people who are. I'm talking about players with great attitudes and a desire to learn. Also I think they probably have the physical skills to develop as time goes by. My favorite Brown of all time is Brian Sipe.

probably not the most physically gifted player the team has ever fielded but...

I actually have nothing against Weeden or Campbell it's just that I've always liked Tebow and McCoy. I suppose while you're berating me you might look to see why the great Jason Campbell wound up on the scrap heap.

or why if the reports are accurate, our pal Mike Lombardi is right on the verge of dumping Weeden as soon as possible.

there are just some players in the NFL I root for and would like to see do well. I didn't really mean to piss anybody off.

WSS

it has absolutely nothing to do with anybody's religious values. I'm not a Christian myself per se though I respect people who are. I'm talking about players with great attitudes and a desire to learn. Also I think they probably have the physical skills to develop as time goes by. My favorite Brown of all time is Brian Sipe.

I actually have nothing against Weeden or Campbell it's just that I've always liked Tebow and McCoy. I suppose while you're berating me you might look to see why the great Jason Campbell wound up on the scrap heap.

or why if the reports are accurate, our pal Mike Lombardi is right on the verge of dumping Weeden as soon as possible.

there are just some players in the NFL I root for and would like to see do well. I didn't really mean to piss anybody off.

WSS

I don't think anybody's pissed off, just confused, we don't know why you want two guys who are struggling to get jobs as backups in this league to start for us. Especially when they in no way fit our new system.

Z

Tebow would make a great H--back. I still would have liked to have seen McCoy have a solid RT in a real game.

We could have gotten a bit of a better draft pick....

I really hope he does great and gets a superbowl ring like Kosar did.

Steve just has a fine, smart sense of humor...

This is interesting from Rotoworld:

BTW, this is how it works when you have real coaches coaching:

"Coach Rob Chudzinski was not ready to commit to Brandon Weeden as the starting quarterback on Thursday.

"I feel good about where we're at right now," Chudzinski said. "He's been working with the first group and we'll just see as we go forward. ... Right now it's too early to say anything one way or another." The Browns brought in Jason Campbell as a free agent, but that's all they've done to bolster the position. "I expect both of these guys to compete," Chud added. "I'm hoping that the best man wins the job and that he gives us a chance to win." It's typical coachspeak.
The Browns have been working on Weeden's mechanics and delivery,
and he's the overwhelming favorite to open the season as the starter.

WSS

Rooting for someone is one thing. I think we all rooted for Colt McCoy to turn out to be the next Joe Montana. But a point in time comes for some of these guys that despite liking them and rooting for them and hoping they do well you realize that they just aren't very good.

I wish Charlie Frye from Akron U would have been the shit. It would have been great for our alma mater, and for NEOhio football fans to have had that happen. But, alas, it was not to be. With him or with McCoy.

Tebow, I could care less about, one way or the other. He wasn't from here, he didn't play for the Browns, so he is irrelevent. I don't care about his religion. If I want religion I will get it from someone much closer to home. If he had done fine, so what, he is the same to me as Danny Wuerfel. If he busts, whatever, at least he isn't another bust for the Browns.

I did like him smoking the Steelers in that playoff game....but anyone who would have smoked the Steelers in that situation would have been OK with me.

I'm not sure if your angle was that you like the way they play or that you like them because they are good old-fashion wholesome Christian boys.

Because if it is the former, every scout in the NFL will tell you that Brandon Weeden and Jason Campbell have better throwing arms, throwing motions and throwing releases than Tebow and McCoy. I assume you want the Browns to have a good passer in our new passing offense?

If it's the latter ... you should know that Brandon Weeden and Jason Campbell are also good, upstanding, Christian young men. They just don't talk about it so much and write books about it.

Am i the only guy here that is truly excited to see this Chud/Turner offense in the hands of these big guns?

Zombo

I thought May Kay Cabot of the PD made an interesting observation that most people are underestimating the ability of Jason Campbell to serously challenge Weeden for the starting job. Campbell knows the new Browns offense up, down and sideways. I think Campbell is going to suprise and has a respectable chance of beating out Weeden. Should make for an interesting training camp.

I thought May Kay Cabot of the PD made an interesting observation that most people are underestimating the ability of Jason Campbell to serously challenge Weeden for the starting job. Campbell knows the new Browns offense up, down and sideways. I think Campbell is going to suprise and has a respectable chance of beating out Weeden. Should make for an interesting training camp.

In my opinion that would be bad because Campbell has proven over years to be no more than a journeyman QB.

Now, occasionally a journeyman will catch lightening in a bottle, like Brad Johnson in Tampa, winning the Super Bowl. But not likely.

I wouldn't be totally shocked to see Campbell beat out Weeden. Campbell did have the Raiders looking good at 4-2 just a couple years ago and he was playing really well that year.

It's better for the long term prospects of the Browns for Weeden to be the better QB and for him to be the starter.

Campbell has been around more than a few years really. Here is his career stats:

Played 7 years. Now with his 4th team (Wash/Oak/Chic)

Record as a starter: 31-40

He is 1328/2182 for a 60.9% completion average.

14,682 yards. 76 TDs for a 3.5 TD%. 38 Ints. for 2.3% (so he does secure the ball well)

He has an 82.5 passer rating

6.7 yds/attempt, 11.1 yds/completion 190.7 yds/game avg.

Yes, what I see is a fairly reliable veteran backup QB. Definitely not a franchise guy, or your prime starting QB

I think that's pretty much what he is. But if Weeden plays like hey did last year, he's not going to be the starter for long this year if at all. It wouldn't be a good thing to see Campbell win the starting job because it damn near guarentees us drafting a QB next year and starting all over again.

I think that's pretty much what he is. But if Weeden plays like hey did last year, he's not going to be the starter for long this year if at all. It wouldn't be a good thing to see Campbell win the starting job because it damn near guarentees us drafting a QB next year and starting all over again.

Correctamundo.....though hopefully it would not involve starting completely over again. As I have said here a few times, one good model to build on is the Steelers model from the early mid 200s. That team was all ready set to go win with a top rate defense, top rate running game and OLine, a top notch team overall, with one exception, they didn't have a top notch QB.

Hell, that team with Kordell Stewart and Tommy Maddox at the helm was going 13-3 and 10-5-1 before a slight down year after which they picked up BR to become a steady hand at QB....better than his predecessors.

Then they went 15-1 and then won a Super Bowl.....because they had the whole team in place then.

They put their cherry on top.

I don't know if Weeden is the cherry....but building up this team's OL/DL/LBs/DBs/WRs/RBs as it seems the Browns are doing is, as far as I am concerned the damned right way to do it. I BW3 turns out to be a spoiled cherry, they could, hopefully get a ripe, juicy one in a year.

Archived