THE BROWNS BOARD

The Greatest Coach Of All Time Retires

roach

Congrats and best wishes to coach Larry Kehres who retired today as Head Coach of the Mount Union Purple Raiders. Coach Kehres' record was 332-24-3 and includes 11 national championships. Gang, let that record sink in as you realize that Div III teams do not provide athletic scholarships.

While i never attended Mount Union, i do appreciate good football and made several short trips from Cleveland to Alliance to watch his team. Coach Kehres is a class act.

Congrats and best wishes to coach Larry Kehres who retired today as Head Coach of the Mount Union Purple Raiders. Coach Kehres' record was 332-24-3 and includes 11 national championships. Gang, let that record sink in as you realize that Div III teams do not provide athletic scholarships.

While i never attended Mount Union, i do appreciate good football and made several short trips from Cleveland to Alliance to watch his team. Coach Kehres is a class act.

I friend of mine from High School is I believe the defensive line coach there. Dan Blume and despite not being able to offer scholarships everyone knows about Mt. Union so it's a hot bed for top tier DIII prospects.

Why did he never move up the ranks to bigger schools?

i've met Coach Kehres a couple times and i know his sister very well. He has had plenty of opportunities to move up. In addition to his coaching, Larry is also the Athletic Director (a position that he will retain). He has been very happy and fulfilled at Mount Union.

I friend of mine from High School is I believe the defensive line coach there. Dan Blume and despite not being able to offer scholarships everyone knows about Mt. Union so it's a hot bed for top tier DIII prospects.

A lot of kids who don't make it in D1 know they can transfer to d3 and play high level football there, and still have a chance to get exposure for the pro level

A lot of kids who don't make it in D1 know they can transfer to d3 and play high level football there, and still have a chance to get exposure for the pro level

Who are these "lot of kids" that didn't make it in D1 that transferred to Mount Union? BTW, the two NFL players from Mount Union (Cecil Shorts and Pierre Garçon) are D3 players from the start.

Who are these "lot of kids" that didn't make it in D1 that transferred to Mount Union? BTW, the two NFL players from Mount Union (Cecil Shorts and Pierre Garçon) are D3 players from the start.

I don't think he meant Mount Union, per se....but any number of D3 programs. Wasn't Armonty Bryant one of those? Started out D-1, ended up D-3?

I don't think he meant Mount Union, per se....but any number of D3 programs. Wasn't Armonty Bryant one of those? Started out D-1, ended up D-3?

Looked it up for you Gip- Bryant- and East Central Oklahoma are DII, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Division_II_%28NCAA%29 Scholarship players, just not as many as DI.

Looked it up for you Gip- Bryant- and East Central Oklahoma are DII, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Division_II_%28NCAA%29 Scholarship players, just not as many as DI.

I am just wondering if there is a West Central Oklahoma and a North Central Oklahoma and a South Central Oklahoma.....not to be confused with Eastern/Northern/Southern/Western/Northwestern/Northeastern/Southwestern and Southeastern Oklahoma.

Thank God that, with one exception Ohio never decided to give its colleges "directional" names.

(Ohio Northern being the current exception. Once upon a time there was an Ohio Central College...but that merged into Muskingam and no longer exists.....except in the hands of a Presidential trivialist...because Warren G. Harding attended there.)

Archived