THE BROWNS BOARD

Josh Gordon Suspened Two Games

cambridgeho

things aren't that cloudy on my end

NFL Policy and Program For Substance Abuse Appendix E (Page 32)

ABUSE OF PRESCRIPTION AND

OVER-THE-COUNTER DRUGS

Under the Policy, the abuse of prescription and over-the-counter drugs is prohibited.

Abuse of prescription drugs is defined as either:

a. the use of a prescription drug without a prescription issued to the player

by a licensed healthcare provider; or

b. the use of a prescription drug issued to the player by a licensed healthcare

provider more than thirty (30) days after the expiration date of the

prescription.

optimum word here in paragraph a is without

As I said before.....IF he had a valid prescription and it met the limitations of paragraph b then he would not be facing any discipline

But there are drugs that you can not take even with an unexpired prescription from your doctor. Doctors can prescribe you steriods, but it sure as shit doesn't matter if you have a note from your doctor saying you can take steriods, your ass is going to be suspended. Same goes for codeine. This becomes an obvious fact since his prescription DID fall into the catagory that you mentioned, his suspension was reduced.

The guy made a mistake, and now there are all these "sources" coming out of the wood works raining down hell fire on Gordon future career.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I understand the concept that players know the rules... but pot being a banned substance is indeed ridiculous. Tough to think of a recreational "drug," including alcohol, that literally has no physical consequences. And in many cases, has legit medicinal purposes. If an athlete's gonna let his hair down a little, I'd say pot WAY ahead of booze.

Well, that's a load of bullshI** if I've ever heard it. Weed does cause a list of physical consequences, especially in athletes, including lowered testosterone levels - leading to decrease in muscle mass / muscle growth, short- and long-term memory impairment, long-term damage to areas in the brain that affect balance and coordination, lung damage (similar to smoking), HBP, impairment of sleep-wake cycles... and let's not forget "chronic laziness" (that one is a joke, sort of)

Marijuana does have some, however limited, positive medicinal purposes but that doesn't mean people should be able to go to the corner-store and buy it legally. Heroin and Cocaine also have some, however limited, positive medicinal purposes. Should they be legalized??

If I am paying an athlete, and my athlete just HAS to get intoxicated, I would WAYYY rather they use alcohol. Sure it causes a high-level of impairment when abused, but it is out of the system in 1-2 hours per drink. Weed causes a lower-level of impairment but stays in the system producing NO HIGH, yet damage to brain and body for 1-5 weeks...

I read that article by Cabot too, and in it she says Gordon will most likely be pushed into phase 3 of the program due to his past.

My question is how is he already in phase 2 now?

Was he automatically put into phase 2 coming into the league due to his trouble in college?

It makes sense but from a legal standpoint a little unfair,I'm surprised the NFLPA doesn't have some kind of clause disallowing this.

Codeine cough syrup is a schedule V drug by the FDA. Schedule V drugs are available OTC in Illinois, North Carolina, Ohio and Massachusetts.

It seems like I'm not the one from a hick town.

I sent an email to the Ohio Pharmacy board asking about this and will post if/when I receive a reply. I have never seen any codeine cough syrup available otc in Ohio.

I sent an email to the Ohio Pharmacy board asking about this and will post if/when I receive a reply. I have never seen any codeine cough syrup available otc in Ohio.

"Codeine-containing cough syrups are schedule V drugs according to the FDA. The FDA regulates how these drugs may be obtained and used. Drugs on schedules I through V are listed in order based upon the drugs medical applications, possibility of addiction and other drugs included in the mixture of each particular class. Generally, the higher the number on the schedule, the less a drug is regulated. Officially, schedule V drugs can be dispensed OTC--meaning they can be obtained from a pharmacist without a prescription. Over-the-counter drugs are not available on store shelves alongside other drugs that are not regulated; they are literally handed to the customer by the pharmacist after the pharmacist speaks with the customer, determines the need for the drug and offers advice and education on the use of the drug. Some states do not allow pharmacists to sell schedule V drugs without a prescription but some still do. Officially, the states where Codeine cough syrup can be purchased without a prescription are: Illinois, Ohio, North Carolina, Washington state and Massachusetts. The law does not require pharmacists to dispense schedule V drugs; the low merely allows the drugs to be sold in this manner. The sale of codeine cough syrup is limited to one bottle every 48 hours."

Legally u don't have to have a script for the codeine cough syrup in Ohio. As noted in TCPO's retort, it is kept in the pharmacy not on an OTC

drug counter. Many pharmacists still like to see a valid prescription from the doctor. You have to sign a log the pharmacist keeps to prevent

abuse. Crucial here, also, is that the pharmacists don't have to sell the syrup to you if they don't want to.

But there are drugs that you can not take even with an unexpired prescription from your doctor. Doctors can prescribe you steriods, but it sure as shit doesn't matter if you have a note from your doctor saying you can take steriods, your ass is going to be suspended. Same goes for codeine. This becomes an obvious fact since his prescription DID fall into the catagory that you mentioned, his suspension was reduced.

The guy made a mistake, and now there are all these "sources" coming out of the wood works raining down hell fire on Gordon future career.

An NFL player can take any fkcing drug if he has a legitimate medical condition and a valid rx prescribed by a dr for that condition. Lets say, for

example sake, that an NFL player has an appendix removed or a procedure to reattach ligaments to some joint. You think he is going to decline

pain meds (usually opioids) because they are banned by the NFL? Is he in violation of the leagues substance abuse policy if he takes meds for

his pain relief?. No and no Based on the language of the contract the league can't touch him as long as he possess a VALID prescription.

Case closed. BTW how would you know what "category his script fell into"? Surely you jest, Buffalo.

codeine-cough-syrup1.jpg"da purple sizzurp"

True enough. But it's not really OTC- it would be the same process you have to go through now to get sudafed decongestant. I'd damn well near guarantee if you walked up to the pharmacy counter and tried to get them to sell you a bottle of codeine cough syrup (terpin hydrate, or something similar)- you'd get turned away. Technically, it might still be legal, but I doubt most of the pharmacies want to go through the bother anymore.

It's sort of a damn shame- codeine is a highly effective cough suppressant, and has very low addiction potential. Oh, as I mentioned earlier, it does have significant abuse potential, mixing it with alcohol. And in that case, it could be dangerous- slamming a couple bottles of it, along with say a pint of cheap gin or whiskey could result in fatal respiratory arrest. However, the same scenario applies to those who get their hands on vicodin, percocet, or oxycontin from a pill mill.

For kicks & giggles, next time I get a prescription filled at my local Rite-Aid, I'll ask them if they still keep the narcotics log. :)

wow! this has really turned into a political issue about gordonfailing a drug test.

sure, most of the old timers (and you know who you are) will always fight against anything that bides against their bringing-up-ski. thou shalt not do this or that or end up in hell with tebow kicking your face in while in purgatory.

who cares what the guy did? he could have down a bag of brown and stuck it in his arm. the real question IS whether or not the guy CAN and WILL stop his bullshit and be the player we all want him to be.

if not, sayanorra asshole. just another waste of talent.

and BTW i love the guy (not his fuckups). pull yourself together man. it's not like your a boozer or PED taker who just chimes in on the browns board. you're part of our fave team.

HA!!

. Over-the-counter drugs are not available on store shelves alongside other drugs that are not regulated; they are literally handed to the customer by the pharmacist after the pharmacist speaks with the customer, determines the need for the drug and offers advice and education on the use of the drug. Some states do not allow pharmacists to sell schedule V drugs without a prescription but some still do. Officially, the states where Codeine cough syrup can be purchased without a prescription are: Illinois, Ohio, North Carolina, Washington state and Massachusetts. The law does not require pharmacists to dispense schedule V drugs; the low merely allows the drugs to be sold in this manner. The sale of codeine cough syrup is limited to one bottle every 48 hours."

Exactly what I'm saying TC- Lotsa luck finding any pharmacies in Ohio that will still sell you the stuff without a 'scrip. So technically, I'll buy that you're right- in actual real world practice, you're wrong.

Exactly what I'm saying TC- Lotsa luck finding any pharmacies in Ohio that will still sell you the stuff without a 'scrip. So technically, I'll buy that you're right- in actual real world practice, you're wrong.

I'd wager a bet that the leading receiver for the Cleveland Browns probably wouldn't have a hard time getting codeine syrup OTC in Cleveland.

He'd sure have an easier time than you or me.

Listing physical perils of pot is an exercise in futility, which is why it'll be legal on a national level at least medicinally in the new decade, probably recreationally in the next 20 years. Compared to water and sunshine, and based on excessive daily use, I'm sure we could find some fairly minor issues that would disappear with reduced intake. But compared to almost any other drug, including alcohol and prescriptions, even daily use has no serious side effects. No link to heart or liver disease, no lung problems, no serious effect on brain function, etc.

Pot has its perils. It is more addictive than most people want to admit, as Dr. Drew has been stumping lately, and I agree wholeheartedly. But Drew will just as quickly tell you that pot's relative safeness is part of that problem. It's tough to tell anybody why they shouldn't smoke pot even 3-4 times a week. There's literally no consequences.

I read that article by Cabot too, and in it she says Gordon will most likely be pushed into phase 3 of the program due to his past.

Was he automatically put into phase 2 coming into the league due to his trouble in college?

It makes sense but from a legal standpoint a little unfair,I'm surprised the NFLPA doesn't have some kind of clause disallowing this.

my guess is has something to do with only getting 2 games as opposed to 4. Get a break now but next time is gonna be a big time punishment. I mean my god this is his 5th positive drug test since 2010 that is public record.

Listing physical perils of pot is an exercise in futility, which is why it'll be legal on a national level at least medicinally in the new decade, probably recreationally in the next 20 years. Compared to water and sunshine, and based on excessive daily use, I'm sure we could find some fairly minor issues that would disappear with reduced intake. But compared to almost any other drug, including alcohol and prescriptions, even daily use has no serious side effects. No link to heart or liver disease, no lung problems, no serious effect on brain function, etc.

Pot has its perils. It is more addictive than most people want to admit, as Dr. Drew has been stumping lately, and I agree wholeheartedly. But Drew will just as quickly tell you that pot's relative safeness is part of that problem. It's tough to tell anybody why they shouldn't smoke pot even 3-4 times a week. There's literally no consequences.

The following is quoted from WEBMD:
Marijuana Use and Its Effects
Marijuana, which comes from the hemp plant Cannabis sativa, is the most frequently used illegal drug in the U.S. About 4% of American adults smoke pot at least once a year. Roughly 1% of adults abuse pot, and one in 300 have a pot addiction.
Most people smoke the plant's dried leaves, flowers, stems, and seeds. But marijuana also can be mixed into food or brewed as a tea. Marijuana goes by many street names, including pot, weed, and herb. Hash, a concentrated form of the drug, is short for hashish.
The rates of marijuana smoking in adults have remained stable since the 1990s. However, the rates of addiction to pot have risen significantly over that same period. And, according to recent government studies, as many as 30% of today's teenagers are smoking marijuana.
Occasional marijuana use is rarely seriously harmful, but smoking pot has important medical effects.
Physiological Effects of Marijuana
The active ingredient in marijuana is THC. That's short for delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol.
THC is rapidly absorbed after smoking pot. Within minutes, THC and the other substances in marijuana smoke cause short-term medical effects.
Signs of using marijuana include:
Rapid heart rate
Increased blood pressure
Increased rate of breathing
Red eyes
Dry mouth
Increased appetite, or "the munchies"
Slowed reaction time
These effects are reduced after three or four hours. However, marijuana hangs around in your system for as long as a month after smoking. The lingering effects mean you're impaired for several days to weeks after the high wears off.
Psychological Effects of Marijuana
According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse, the main effects of marijuana on mood vary and may include euphoria, calmness, anxiety, or paranoia. Getting high or "stoned" is the reason most pot smokers use marijuana.
Other short-term psychological effects of pot include:
Distorted sense of time
Paranoia
Magical or "random" thinking
Short-term memory loss
Anxiety and depression
These psychological signs of using pot also generally ease after a few hours. But residual effects can last for days.
Risks of Marijuana Use
The risks of smoking marijuana go up with heavy use. Although the link has never been proven, many experts believe heavy pot smokers are at increased risk for lung cancer.
Heavy marijuana use lowers men's testosterone levels and sperm count and quality. Pot could decrease libido and fertility in some heavy-smoking men.
Contrary to what many pot smokers may tell you, marijuana is addictive, at least psychologically. Even among occasional users, one in 12 can feel withdrawal symptoms if they can't get high when they want to. Among heavy pot smokers, the rates of dependence are higher.
Many experts also believe that marijuana is physically addictive. Symptoms of withdrawal from pot might include:
Aggression
Anxiety
Depressed mood
Decreased appetite
Is pot a "gateway" drug? In other words, does smoking marijuana make someone more likely to try cocaine, heroin, ecstasy, and other "hard" drugs? The jury is still out on this one. It's true that pot smokers are more likely to use other drugs after trying marijuana. What's not clear is whether smoking pot causes further drug use or if people who start smoking pot are just more likely to try drugs in general.
If you're wondering how long marijuana stays in your system after smoking, it depends on how often you smoke. Light users -- those who smoke pot once in a while -- will have a negative drug screen after a marijuana-free week. Heavy users -- sometimes called "stoners" -- may continue testing positive for a month after last smoking pot.

Marijuana, which comes from the hemp plant Cannabis sativa, is the most frequently used illegal drug in the U.S. About 4% of American adults smoke pot at least once a year. Roughly 1% of adults abuse pot, and one in 300 have a pot addiction.
Most people smoke the plant's dried leaves, flowers, stems, and seeds. But marijuana also can be mixed into food or brewed as a tea. Marijuana goes by many street names, including pot, weed, and herb. Hash, a concentrated form of the drug, is short for hashish.
The rates of marijuana smoking in adults have remained stable since the 1990s. However, the rates of addiction to pot have risen significantly over that same period. And, according to recent government studies, as many as 30% of today's teenagers are smoking marijuana.
Occasional marijuana use is rarely seriously harmful, but smoking pot has important medical effects.
The active ingredient in marijuana is THC. That's short for delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol.
THC is rapidly absorbed after smoking pot. Within minutes, THC and the other substances in marijuana smoke cause short-term medical effects.
Rapid heart rate
Increased blood pressure
Red eyes
Dry mouth
Slowed reaction time
These effects are reduced after three or four hours. However, marijuana hangs around in your system for as long as a month after smoking. The lingering effects mean you're impaired for several days to weeks after the high wears off.
According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse, the main effects of marijuana on mood vary and may include euphoria, calmness, anxiety, or paranoia. Getting high or "stoned" is the reason most pot smokers use marijuana.
Distorted sense of time
Paranoia
Short-term memory loss
Anxiety and depression
These psychological signs of using pot also generally ease after a few hours. But residual effects can last for days.
Risks of Marijuana Use
The risks of smoking marijuana go up with heavy use. Although the link has never been proven, many experts believe heavy pot smokers are at increased risk for lung cancer.
Heavy marijuana use lowers men's testosterone levels and sperm count and quality. Pot could decrease libido and fertility in some heavy-smoking men.
Contrary to what many pot smokers may tell you, marijuana is addictive, at least psychologically. Even among occasional users, one in 12 can feel withdrawal symptoms if they can't get high when they want to. Among heavy pot smokers, the rates of dependence are higher.
Many experts also believe that marijuana is physically addictive. Symptoms of withdrawal from pot might include:
Aggression
Anxiety
Depressed mood
Decreased appetite
Is pot a "gateway" drug? In other words, does smoking marijuana make someone more likely to try cocaine, heroin, ecstasy, and other "hard" drugs? The jury is still out on this one. It's true that pot smokers are more likely to use other drugs after trying marijuana. What's not clear is whether smoking pot causes further drug use or if people who start smoking pot are just more likely to try drugs in general.
If you're wondering how long marijuana stays in your system after smoking, it depends on how often you smoke. Light users -- those who smoke pot once in a while -- will have a negative drug screen after a marijuana-free week. Heavy users -- sometimes called "stoners" -- may continue testing positive for a month after last smoking pot.

hell, sounds like you better not smoke it, you'll be dead.

fire and brimstone still? when the goverbment sniffs out (and believe me they already know the #'s) how these states have climbed out of the fiscal budget nightmares from legalizing something that is way less harmful (when taken) than alcohol, we'll be the first super power to legalize it.

just like when you were in grade school during prohibition, they had the nay-sayers goody 2shoe mother jumpers bitching about how alcohol will bring down our society. meanwhile the government didn't see the big picture......until they realized they could regulate it, tax the shit out of it and make tons of money themselves instead of just the gangsters.

like it or not, times change. things change. hell tax on a pack of cigs in NY is over $5. imagine what they'd put on a pack of doobs? (it will be great we'll bring back the mexican red bud and on the cover could be pancho villa or some stoned out frito bandito)........

not everyone will agree or like the decision.

hell i betcha you're still pissed about this whole internet robot pay per view scanner at the checkout counter thing.

hell, sounds like you better not smoke it, you'll be dead.

fire and brimstone still? when the goverbment sniffs out (and believe me they already know the #'s) how these states have climbed out of the fiscal budget nightmares from legalizing something that is way less harmful (when taken) than alcohol, we'll be the first super power to legalize it.

just like when you were in grade school during prohibition, they had the nay-sayers goody 2shoe mother jumpers bitching about how alcohol will bring down our society. meanwhile the government didn't see the big picture......until they realized they could regulate it, tax the shit out of it and make tons of money themselves instead of just the gangsters.

like it or not, times change. things change. hell tax on a pack of cigs in NY is over $5. imagine what they'd put on a pack of doobs? (it will be great we'll bring back the mexican red bud and on the cover could be pancho villa or some stoned out frito bandito)........

not everyone will agree or like the decision.

hell i betcha you're still pissed about this whole internet robot pay per view scanner at the checkout counter thing.

Dude, I'm only a couple years older then you, although you wouldn't realize it by your immature posts. I'm merely quoting from an established web medical site, so don't get your brain dead cells in a bunch.

Rapid heart rate

Increased blood pressure

Red eyes

Dry mouth

Slowed reaction time

Distorted sense of time

Paranoia

Short-term memory loss

Anxiety and depression

Risks of Marijuana Use

Aggression

Anxiety

Depressed mood

Decreased appetite

The length of time marijuana stays in your system is related to the amount of fat cells in your body where the THC is primarily stored. If you're rail thin it will be out of your system quite a bit faster than if you're a cheetoh eatin' chubster.

"These effects are reduced after three or four hours. However, marijuana hangs around in your system for as long as a month after smoking. The lingering effects mean you're impaired for several days to weeks after the high wears off."

....I call bullshit on this statement. Several days to WEEKS!!! AHAHAHA That shit must be a thousand dollars an eigth then!!! :lol:

"These effects are reduced after three or four hours. However, marijuana hangs around in your system for as long as a month after smoking. The lingering effects mean you're impaired for several days to weeks after the high wears off."

....I call bullshit on this statement. Several days to WEEKS!!! AHAHAHA That shit must be a thousand dollars an eigth then!!! :lol:

no. it doesn't mean you are feeling the effects of weed, it means it stays in your system and can be detected in piss tests.

So...how tough is it, for a player with a marred dope record, to make sure

all of his prescriptions are okay with the NFL by checking with a team doctor?

Hopefully, it's a legit mistake, but it cost him credibility, and one more mistake, costs him his career for a year?

Why wouldn't the Browns tell him to check his meds out with the team doctor before all this?

Oh well. The Browns have a far nicer, deeper group of receivers now. And Benjamin is drawing raves:

from Rotoworld:

Brandon Weeden says second-year WR Travis Benjamin has "stuck out" in spring practices and praised Benjamin's route-running ability.

Because Greg Little, Davone Bess, and David Nelson are all strict possession receivers, it's conceivable that burner Benjamin will be the primary beneficiary of Josh Gordon's suspension. "Travis had at least as many catches if not more than anybody in camp," Weeden said. "His route running is phenomenal, probably because he’s so fast. Guys have to honor him running by them."

no. it doesn't mean you are feeling the effects of weed, it means it stays in your system and can be detected in piss tests.

Yup- and having worked in a medical laboratory that did drug testing I can guarantee you that's 100% accurate.

Brandon Weeden says second-year WR Travis Benjamin has "stuck out" in spring practices and praised Benjamin's route-running ability.

Because Greg Little, Davone Bess, and David Nelson are all strict possession receivers, it's conceivable that burner Benjamin will be the primary beneficiary of Josh Gordon's suspension. "Travis had at least as many catches if not more than anybody in camp," Weeden said. "His route running is phenomenal, probably because he’s so fast. Guys have to honor him running by them."

to the first part of your post, i would hope the browns INSIST going forward that gordon does anything connected with medical issues thru them from now on no matter how big or small. maybe they can even add something into his contract that will relieve him of monies if caught again. they might want to think of hiring a full-time babysitter for his ass as someone else had suggested.

to your second part: sure the browns have become a little deeper at the WR position but gordon is our #1 and you just don't replace a guy like that with undersized speedy guys.

Oh, I know. the Browns will really have a tough time if they lose him for a year...

but far worse if it had happened last year....

It's just a branch of another conversation, the notion that pot shouldn't be a banned substance as it becomes legal since it's way less physically harmful than alcohol. Again, that's what Dr. Drew cites as the biggest problem with pot addiction, the fact that it doesn't have the harmful side effects of alcohol, coke, Heroin, Ecstasy, etc.

Most people either smoke a little or know a few dozen people who do... and see that there's no real downside assuming you aren't high and stupid all the time. And once something is made legal for medicinal purposes it gets really tough to say it's bad for you.

• 1 month later...

Guess this is a old news but with DQ and Banner comments the topic has came back to life a bit.

In the PD today Terry Pluto said that Gordon has indeed had a prior offense in the NFL which they are not allowed to report since there is no suspension involved in the first violation.

Also, the NFL is not allowed to disclose the drug involved in the suspension, so the only source reporting that the violation is for codeine cough syrup with a prescription is Josh Gordon.

Not looking too good, one season and two drug offenses after three or four in college? Looks like # 3 is just a matter of time.

Archived