THE BROWNS BOARD

Nfl Rumors: Firstenergy Stadium Potentially Receiving $200 Million In Upgrades

tampadawgs

no one needs to lose with a good design and flexible concept. with those you can damn near accommodate everyone who has money to spend...without much compromise needed by anyone.

if the powers that be shared the wonderful attitude of "fuck those not like me, I'm die-hardcore! don't like it stay home you fucking pussies!"...we could justifiably expect to lose our team again at some point in the near future.

thankfully they get the concept of "asses in seats pay bills".

i encourage them to maximize profits by catering to every conceivable fan out there and use the venue every which way they can when it's not in "football mode".

by doing so i believe it can be a win/win for everyone, all the way top to bottom.

the alternative of resisting change, prohibition instead of accommodation, and "keeping it old school" simply to pacify a handful of crotchety curmudgeons holding onto yesteryear just ain't gonna get er dun in today's climate. before anyone says it, Cle ain't Wisconsin, and First Energy ain't Lambeau. different markets call for creative and varied solutions.

Cle can choose to either stay current and continue to inject life into their storied and once great franchise...or face complacency and remain a distant memory of past glory.

to me "current" equates to "relevant".

or, i guess if anyone's an extreme pig-skin purist unwilling to adjust they always have the option to defect and pack it up, head for Wisconsin and don themselves a cheesehead.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Living here and paying the sin tax so they could build this stadium and driving by it everyday seeing it empty makes me pissed. Easy for people who live out of town to say, be tough, I like the snow, fuck yea! But you don't live here, probably rarely attend a game (not you Hoorta and the others). I like the weather games also. Been to many a snow game freezing my ass off. But It still don't justify a dinosaur sitting on the shore of Lake Erie empty for most of the year. You either get with the program and modernize the thing, or deal with the consequences.

no one needs to lose with a good design and flexible concept. with those you can damn near accommodate everyone who has money to spend...without much compromise needed by anyone.

if the powers that be shared the wonderful attitude of "fuck those not like me, I'm die-hardcore! don't like it stay home you fucking pussies!"...we could justifiably expect to lose our team again at some point in the near future.

i encourage them to maximize profits by catering to every conceivable fan out there and use the venue every which way they can when it's not in "football mode".

by doing so i believe it can be a win/win for everyone, all the way top to bottom.

the alternative of resisting change, prohibition instead of accommodation, and "keeping it old school" simply to pacify a handful of crotchety curmudgeons holding onto yesteryear just ain't gonna get er dun in today's climate. before anyone says it, Cle ain't Wisconsin, and First Energy ain't Lambeau. different markets call for creative and varied solutions.

Cle can choose to either stay current and continue to inject life into their storied and once great franchise...or face complacency and remain a distant memory of past glory.

or, i guess if anyone's an extreme pig-skin purist unwilling to adjust they always have the option to defect and pack it up, head for Wisconsin and don themselves a cheesehead.

Don't put a roof on the stadium. Make it like old times. Only let white people play. Get rid of the forward pass.

that would piss me off too DHBF. daily. and if TCPO's concern about Bark's value at 6th overall is any indication I can only imagine how he feels about that use of resources as well-->283M for 2+8 3hr long games a year!! yikes!!

maybe The HazBan will put it to better use in the down time than it has ban (bad pun i know).

some good funnies in this thread too btw. i got a good chuckle multiple times.

so its worth saying that i love it when the Browns play in shitty weather. like REALLY LOVE IT. especially in super shittied-up muddy whites.

i also know how to dress properly in harsh weather. or to bring a Ghooly "cover-blanket" along if viewing the game with a "handy lady".

the problem is thus:

i have been able to attend about 2 games on avg a year...and wish it could be more. if i could interest my folks-both in their late 60s-to make the 3 hr drive and join me it would add at least one but probably at least two more. better cover at the game would absolutely help persuade my Mom to go... and of course my Pops will rarely go without her. if she'd agree to come to two games a year we'd then fill about 8 seats between us per season...vs the current 2 or so i fill now. im sure my Moms not the only football attendance lynchpin in the world...my point is sometimes gaining one fan can multiply into many.

there are many ways to improve the stadium experience for people. we don't talk much about the sheer ability to share it with another.

not only would it be better for Browns revenue having my Mom and subsequently my Dad there, but it would enhance my game experience personally simply watching the game together with both of them.

i hope they can find a way and do it.

I cannot believe it but I agree with Sisky on almost everything. But the world is safe because I still disagree with The Gipper. First off people who smoke being herded out of the building via 20 ramps to smoke is ridiculous. In the seats I get it but create other designated areas or at least make the damn escalators go up and down and/or add a couple more. It is simply crazy to think that the sin tax helped pay for the stadium.

Oh, I don't care if they make a place for the smokers better than what they have. To make us both happy how about if we agree to this:

All the smokers can blow their smoke up your nose and not mine....wherever they go.

Other than the escalators another addition I would make is better concessions. They really are terrible when you compare them to other stadiums. It is difficult to even find a Budweiser for crying out loud. Cleveland is known for Rock n' Roll and Beer drinking. Anybody who has been to Cleveland knows this. It is a blue collar town.

The scoreboards are terrible! They definately need upgraded as does the sound system in the stadium. Out of the four football and Baseball stadiums in Ohio First Energy Stadium is the worst. Not impressive at all for when it was built. And this is coming from someone who hates the Reds new stadium. I hope they spend that $200 million before this season. It should be easy since there really is no shortage of things that need upgraded. A shorter list would be what they don't need to upgrade.

Go Browns!

I cannot believe it but I agree with Sisky on almost everything. But the world is safe because I still disagree with The Gipper. First off people who smoke being herded out of the building via 20 ramps to smoke is ridiculous. In the seats I get it but create other designated areas or at least make the damn escalators go up and down and/or add a couple more. It is simply crazy to think that the sin tax helped pay for the stadium.

Oh, I don't care if they make a place for the smokers better than what they have. To make us both happy how about if we agree to this:

All the smokers can blow their smoke up your nose and not mine....wherever they go.

Other than the escalators another addition I would make is better concessions. They really are terrible when you compare them to other stadiums. It is difficult to even find a Budweiser for crying out loud. Cleveland is known for Rock n' Roll and Beer drinking. Anybody who has been to Cleveland knows this. It is a blue collar town.

On the rare occasions I do go to a game I will get my eating and drinking in at the Browns Board tailgate party before hand. Other than maybe some water to quench my thirst, my intake is fully satiated before I walk inside the gates. So, to me, there is absolutely no reason to purchase the stadium's vastly overpriced commodities.

The scoreboards are terrible! They definately need upgraded as does the sound system in the stadium. Out of the four football and Baseball stadiums in Ohio First Energy Stadium is the worst. Not impressive at all for when it was built. And this is coming from someone who hates the Reds new stadium. I hope they spend that $200 million before this season. It should be easy since there really is no shortage of things that need upgraded. A shorter list would be what they don't need to upgrade.

Go Browns!

I agree that this stadium was built in a hurry and on a budget that was streamlined, and all the amenities that a new stadium should have are generally lacking here. So, hopefully now 14 years later they can make appropriate upgrades.

Few things-

1) Cleveland will never host a Super Bowl? Boo-hoo- neither will Green Bay, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Cincinnati, or Kansas City for that matter. Like hosting a Super Bowl makes you puff out your chest proud? Indy's a better town than Cleveland because they hosted a SB? Really?

2) FYI- You don't need "asses in the seats" to pay bills in the NFL- it's all about TV revenue. Can't remember exactly how many BILLION the Directv Sunday Ticket contract is for- and the OTA networks pay even more.

3) Plueeze- the Browns aren't going anywhere in my lifetime and probably yours. The (for all practical purposes) unbreakable lease guarantees that.

4) As to having uses other than football, as a season ticket holder I happen to know you can already have a pretty big affair there.The Club Level is available for parties (and yes wedding receptions) on non-game days. Go look at the Lucas Oil "upcoming schedule of events" it's not that impressive.

5) As to it costing ONLY in the range of $200 million, I would sure like to see some hard figures. I know for a fact the current structure wasn't designed to support a retractable dome. The only way to do it would be to start outside the stadium, & throw up some massive I-beams to support the roof- with that comes totally re doing the exterior.. As I alluded to earlier- you're probably going to have to pay a design team in the range of $20 million just to figure out how to get the HVAC in there on top of it.

6) I have to side with Mik on this one- indoor football isn't the same. PERIOD. So I have to ask those who are clamoring for a dome if they've ever actually watched an NFL game IN A DOME. (FWIW, I have- plenty of times, in multiple venues.) I suppose since the NFL is going to a more sanitized creature comfort mode, domes may be the wave of the future. It won't stop me going to games if they toss a roof over First Energy, but I probably won't like it very much.

The one major non use of the stadium from what I see is the fact that they don't throw a "Concert for the Rock n. Roll Hall of Fame" every year in connection with the induction of the new members into it.

I am sure a few of you remember the old "World Series of Rock", concerts that were held in Municipal Stadium. I myself saw the likes of The Rolling Stones, Crosby/Stills/Nash and Young, Pink Floyd and a few others there.

Why would not the RRHOF have a concert at the stadium, and make it a wide open jam session for all RRHOF inductees. Invite every one of all the past inductees to come and perform a few songs. Big money could be raised to finance the RRHOF.

Why don't they do it? It makes too much sense to do so I guess. What? Are all these stars stuck with their asses in NY or LA or London or wherever. Do they HAVE to be paid a fortune to just show up and play a few tunes.

You have been honored by being inducted. Why not show up and perform just a little bit with your fellow inductees and not be greedy or lazy.

And one more thing: Randy Lerner is such a soccer fag and now has gotten beaucoup bucks out of Haslam, with all that cash he should buy into the MLS with a Cleveland team. The venue proved its worthiness for that sport when they had the USA team play Belgium here a couple of weeks ago.

Not that I give a shit about soccer, but having a team here in Cleveland in the top league in that sport I think would be appropriate.

The one major non use of the stadium from what I see is the fact that they don't throw a "Concert for the Rock n. Roll Hall of Fame" every year in connection with the induction of the new members into it.

I am sure a few of you remember the old "World Series of Rock", concerts that were held in Municipal Stadium. I myself saw the likes of The Rolling Stones, Crosby/Stills/Nash and Young, Pink Floyd and a few others there.

Why would not the RRHOF have a concert at the stadium, and make it a wide open jam session for all RRHOF inductees. Invite every one of all the past inductees to come and perform a few songs. Big money could be raised to finance the RRHOF.

Why don't they do it? It makes too much sense to do so I guess. What? Are all these stars stuck with their asses in NY or LA or London or wherever. Do they HAVE to be paid a fortune to just show up and play a few tunes.

You have been honored by being inducted. Why not show up and perform just a little bit with your fellow inductees and not be greedy or lazy.

exactly. the ownership need to make it's stadium venue more attractive to such entities as the RRHOF or for that matter any other promoter looking for a good deal. it isn't because a roof that the shows aren't coming or there are seats sitting open when you drive by.

jones beach attracts the biggest acts of the summer and it's an open air stadium/theater. yankee stadium have a roof? no. but i just saw roger water last year there.

the days of someone knowing what to do are gone with the days of WMMS and the belkin brothers promoting the world series of rock. that was genious. now ownership just sits on their hands and waits for someone to come knocking.

by the way gip if these people who want a roof have it their way, they'd love the barco lounger with a food tray and cup holder. maybe an little lcd on the back of the person's chair in front of them so they don't even have to look at the field.

before anyone says it, Cle ain't Wisconsin, and First Energy ain't Lambeau. different markets call for creative and varied solutions.

so cleveland's past glory does not equal that of the packers or the bears? you're kidding me right?

i'm no extreme pigskin purist but having an open stadium on lake erie for the browns is as historic as anything you can mention in football.

you're one of the guys that wants to change the uniforms too i bet.

you don't have to drive to wisconsin to be a cheesehead, just stay where you are and continue to be a dickhead.

Few things-

1) Cleveland will never host a Super Bowl? Boo-hoo- neither will Green Bay, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Cincinnati, or Kansas City for that matter. Like hosting a Super Bowl makes you puff out your chest proud? Indy's a better town than Cleveland because they hosted a SB? Really?

i've never looked at it like that. are there actually fans who get braggy their team's city hosted a SB?? that's super lame. i was thinking purely economically. in this thread someone posted Indy, who thought enough to put a roof on their stadium and be a host candidate, raked in 300M in revenue from the ordeal. doesn't make them better but it certainly makes them more well off.

with a roof Cle would at least have a shot. hell they were lightly considered without having one.

2) FYI- You don't need "asses in the seats" to pay bills in the NFL- it's all about TV revenue. Can't remember exactly how many BILLION the Directv Sunday Ticket contract is for- and the OTA networks pay even more.

without asses in seats you get blacked-the-fuck out. how does that make sense?

3) Plueeze- the Browns aren't going anywhere in my lifetime and probably yours. The (for all practical purposes) unbreakable lease guarantees that.

crazier things have definitely happened.

i don't see it happening anytime soon either but there are ways around everything.

at least consider it could be better.

4) As to having uses other than football, as a season ticket holder I happen to know you can already have a pretty big affair there.The Club Level is available for parties (and yes wedding receptions) on non-game days. Go look at the Lucas Oil "upcoming schedule of events" it's not that impressive.

no wonder, Indy sucks.

regardless no promoter, bride to be, event coordinator etc in their right mind would ever book a party on the grass a year in advance without some way to protect everything from Mother Nature. it's not a valid option as is and i'd wager it's not even a consideration for many. i guarantee there are fans that would get married on the 50 yard line if they could get cover from weather. nobody's gonna tie the knot in the boxes.

5) As to it costing ONLY in the range of $200 million, I would sure like to see some hard figures. I know for a fact the current structure wasn't designed to support a retractable dome. The only way to do it would be to start outside the stadium, & throw up some massive I-beams to support the roof- with that comes totally re doing the exterior.. As I alluded to earlier- you're probably going to have to pay a design team in the range of $20 million just to figure out how to get the HVAC in there on top of it.

sounds doable. move enough air you don't need to artificially condition it much. having Lake Erie nearby to harness natural breezes solves at least half the problem.

a closeable Donut Deck. same as playing outside with every advantage retractibility gives the rest of the week. how sweet it would be!

6) I have to side with Mik on this one- indoor football isn't the same. PERIOD. So I have to ask those who are clamoring for a dome if they've ever actually watched an NFL game IN A DOME. (FWIW, I have- plenty of times, in multiple venues.) I suppose since the NFL is going to a more sanitized creature comfort mode, domes may be the wave of the future. It won't stop me going to games if they toss a roof over First Energy, but I probably won't like it very much.

i agree as well-->fuck domes and indoor ball. that's not the point of contention.

until we hear more, 200M is the number and its miles from the 6M requested for repairs. to bridge numbers you're either looking at some major structural changes, a roof of some type, or one big motherfucking TV.

...or there's the possibility the entire 200M claim is bogus.

it isn't because a roof that the shows aren't coming or there are seats sitting open when you drive by.

you sure?

jones beach attracts the biggest acts of the summer and it's an open air stadium/theater. yankee stadium have a roof? no. but i just saw roger water last year there.

when's the last time the Stones played Jones Beach? i hear their fans detest getting rained on.

by the way gip if these people who want a roof have it their way, they'd love the barco lounger with a food tray and cup holder.

lmao Gip was the one who suggested the Barco.

maybe an little lcd on the back of the person's chair in front of them so they don't even have to look at the field.

HELL YEAH. i'd still look at the field but that would be awesome for when i'm sitting and those in front of me are not. many things i want more though.

so cleveland's past glory does not equal that of the packers or the bears? you're kidding me right?

show me where i said that.

Cleveland's situation is entirely different than either of theirs anyway. Browns fans DO NOT own the team, nor is Cle the largest and most industrious city in the US.

you're reaching. hard.

i'm no extreme pigskin purist but having an open stadium on lake erie for the browns is as historic as anything you can mention in football.

i agree, to a point. and a retractable roof would not affect that whatsoever.

you're one of the guys that wants to change the uniforms too i bet.

you'd bet wrong.

you don't have to drive to wisconsin to be a cheesehead, just stay where you are and continue to be a dickhead.

name-calling, what a surprise. how will i ever recover?

what's hilarious is you don't even realize we essentially want the same thing, only i want additional options -- none of which would probably even affect you.

sounds like you're just bitching just to bitch. gotta love the offseason.

If you want indoor football..go watch Arena League...because thats what the NFL is becomming..

If you want indoor football..go watch Arena League...because thats what the NFL is becomming..

In some ways, it needs to become that. It's dumb to be forced to sit out in the cold and rain when there are better ways.

I assume you live in a enclosed, HVAC treated environment and don't live in a cave or some other outdoor environment as did some of our past family members.

In some ways, it needs to become that. It's dumb to be forced to sit out in the cold and rain when there are better ways.

I assume you live in a enclosed, HVAC treated environment and don't live in a cave or some other outdoor environment as did some of our past family members.

The fact that My living conditions are very well has nothing to do with it...I understand the game has to evolve to entice todays audience...but at what price??... until no one can afford to go?

when's the last time the Stones played Jones Beach? i hear their fans detest getting rained on.

by the way gip if these people who want a roof have it their way, they'd love the barco lounger with a food tray and cup holder.

lmao Gip was the one who suggested the Barco.

and all this time i thought you were 13 yrs. old. the stones? you couldn't pay me to see them at this point in their career. and yes bands play there rain or shine and people still sell it out. so what's your point?

and i WAS giving props to gip for mentioning the barco lounger. too bad you don't understand what you read.

Nobody is asking you to live in CBS, either.

i've never looked at it like that. are there actually fans who get braggy their team's city hosted a SB?? that's super lame. i was thinking purely economically. in this thread someone posted Indy, who thought enough to put a roof on their stadium and be a host candidate, raked in 300M in revenue from the ordeal. doesn't make them better but it certainly makes them more well off.

with a roof Cle would at least have a shot. hell they were lightly considered without having one.

without asses in seats you get blacked-the-fuck out. how does that make sense?

crazier things have definitely happened.

i don't see it happening anytime soon either but there are ways around everything.

at least consider it could be better.

no wonder, Indy sucks.

regardless no promoter, bride to be, event coordinator etc in their right mind would ever book a party on the grass a year in advance without some way to protect everything from Mother Nature. it's not a valid option as is and i'd wager it's not even a consideration for many. i guarantee there are fans that would get married on the 50 yard line if they could get cover from weather. nobody's gonna tie the knot in the boxes.

sounds doable. move enough air you don't need to artificially condition it much. having Lake Erie nearby to harness natural breezes solves at least half the problem.

a closeable Donut Deck. same as playing outside with every advantage retractibility gives the rest of the week. how sweet it would be!

Regarding a SB- that's a once in a lifetime shot for a city like Cleveland. So they raked in $300 million- want to look up how much the city had to spend in security and planning to get that? Please drop the SB option- it's not a cost effective reason for putting a dome on the stadium. You think the Browns put a roof on and go to the NFL- hey, we got a dome now!!! Give us a SB!!! It doesn't work that way, sorry.

Ohhh- games get blacked out? You're making the assumption more people will go to games if it's domed. Plenty of empty seats at Ford Field when the Lions sucked. Ditto Edward Jones in St Louis. As a season ticket holder not my problem if you can't get off your ass and get down to the game, if it's blacked out. Win, and they will come.

The Browns aren't moving- read the lease terms. Gipper can refresh your memory if you've forgotten them. There's a "specific performance" clause in the lease. The Browns HAVE to play in Cleveland for the term of the lease.

Regarding weddings, ever been in the Club Level? It's pretty nice. And there have been weddings & receptions there.

Finally- do you know anything about industrial level heating\ cooling? It's not as simple as you make it out to be. Stadium size- you've literally got millions of cubic feet of air you're going to have to heat up to near room temperature when it's 20 degrees or colder outside- or enough cooling to prevent it from turning into a sauna on a hot summer day. Hmmm- so who is supposed to pay for all those millions of BTUs and kilowatts? It won't be the city of Cleveland, I'd bet. LOL, maybe First Energy will give it to them for free, in exchange for the naming rights.

Regarding a SB- that's a once in a lifetime shot for a city like Cleveland. So they raked in $300 million- want to look up how much the city had to spend in security and planning to get that? Please drop the SB option- it's not a cost effective reason for putting a dome on the stadium. You think the Browns put a roof on and go to the NFL- hey, we got a dome now!!! Give us a SB!!! It doesn't work that way, sorry.

Ohhh- games get blacked out? You're making the assumption more people will go to games if it's domed. Plenty of empty seats at Ford Field when the Lions sucked. Ditto Edward Jones in St Louis. As a season ticket holder not my problem if you can't get off your ass and get down to the game, if it's blacked out. Win, and they will come.

The Browns aren't moving- read the lease terms. Gipper can refresh your memory if you've forgotten them. There's a "specific performance" clause in the lease. The Browns HAVE to play in Cleveland for the term of the lease.

Regarding weddings, ever been in the Club Level? It's pretty nice. And there have been weddings & receptions there.

Finally- do you know anything about industrial level heating\ cooling? It's not as simple as you make it out to be. Stadium size- you've literally got millions of cubic feet of air you're going to have to heat up to near room temperature when it's 20 degrees or colder outside- or enough cooling to prevent it from turning into a sauna on a hot summer day. Hmmm- so who is supposed to pay for all those millions of BTUs and kilowatts? It won't be the city of Cleveland, I'd bet. LOL, maybe First Energy will give it to them for free, in exchange for the naming rights.

That is a good idea. First Energy, put your energy where your mouth is.

I think that is one helluva good idea. It could become the signature event for all of northeast Ohio... combining pro football legacy with the home

or rock and roll. Sound like a very marketable product to me. Schedule the show during the football hall of fame Enshrinement Festival.

that in itself is sad.

i'm sure that there are more pundits that could come on here and exclaim roots of rock coming from cleveland. no, not the beginnings of r and b or blues that came from the south but fuggin ROCK AND ROLL.

if cleveland is not a big enough venue for fagass bon jovi, how do you think they'll pull in the top acts of today let alone get a super bowl bid?

cleveland needs to do a benefit concert for CLEVELAND itself televised nation-wide with every act ever connected to it performing with ravid fans going wild. put out a concert dvd and start from there.

hell, i just watched the best depeche mode live concert taped in milan, IT. i know frisky single goes shopping there but didn't know it was a hot bed for great live concerts as cleveland is.

i mean is the agora still live and kicking?

hell, i just watched the best depeche mode live concert taped in milan, IT. i know frisky single goes shopping there but didn't know it was a hot bed for great live concerts as cleveland is.

Depeche mode? I think that should firm up your eligibility into the HRHOF (homo rocker hall of fame)

Abba much?

HA!!

depends on what kinda mood i'm in brother. white or red. white or brown.

i woulda never heard of them except i met a goth girl who got me into everything from PIL to nitzer ebb, peter murphy, ministry etc. etc.

me doing the industrial robot dance around the coffee table with the polk audio speakers blaring at 3 AM always get rave reviews from my neighbors.

bitches.

sorry. this is the best i could do at 4:15:

Archived