THE BROWNS BOARD

Espn Preseason Power Rankings

The Gipper

Anyone here knows that I am not a fan of "power rankings", but that is because I believe that the standings ARE the power rankings. However, when the season hasn't started I guess you can look at where some people rank a team. So here it is:

Seahawks
11-5
--

Last Week: 1 The Seahawks used the draft to get stronger at defensive tackle and, surprisingly, running back. (Sando) 2
49ers
11-4-1
--

Last Week: 2 The 49ers stocked up on draft choices for the future, but they also found an immediate starter in safety Eric Reid. (Sando) 3
Broncos
13-3
--

Last Week: 3 With Peyton Manning, talented wide receivers and a mean defense, the Broncos will be a Super Bowl contender. (Fox) 4
Falcons
13-3
--

Last Week: 4 Think the Falcons wanted to improve at corner? They traded up to get Desmond Trufant, then took Robert Alford in the second round. (Sando) 5
Packers
11-5
Last Week: 6 They used the draft to load up on the run game in the wake of Aaron Rodgers' big contract. (Graziano) 6
Patriots
12-4
Last Week: 5 It was a typical, non-flashy draft for New England. The Patriots didn't get any immediate starters, but they didn't have many pressing needs. (Hensley) 7
Texans
12-4
--

Last Week: 7 GM Rick Smith had another solid draft; he was smart to draft a wide receiver to complement Andre Johnson. (Clayton) 8
Ravens
10-6
--

Last Week: 8 The Ravens made a lot of changes since winning the Super Bowl, but they still look like a strong playoff contender after continuing to rebuild the defense through the draft. (Hensley) 9
Bengals
10-6
Last Week: 10 The Bengals added some toughness by signing linebacker James Harrison before the draft and brought more big-play potential by using their first two picks on tight end Tyler Eifert and running back Giovani Bernard. (Hensley) 10
Colts
10-6
Last Week: 9 With Dwight Freeney gone, the Colts concentrated on getting a pass-rusher on the other side of Robert Mathis. (Clayton) 11
Redskins
10-6
Last Week: 13 It's been a tough offseason with cap problems, but the Redskins managed to keep their division title team intact. (Graziano) 12
Giants
9-7
Last Week: 14 A typical Giants draft -- nothing flashy, just some building blocks to keep the roster deep. (Graziano) 13
Bears
10-6
Last Week: 11 They have worked to make the O-line better in front of Jay Cutler. Was it enough? (Graziano) 14
Saints
7-9
Last Week: 12 Sean Payton's return to the sideline apparently hasn't convinced all of our voters that a playoff run awaits. (Sando) 15
Rams
7-8-1
--

Last Week: 15 The Rams have gotten younger and faster at the skill positions, which should help the team more fully evaluate QB Sam Bradford. (Sando) 16
--

Last Week: 16 The Steelers are expected to start two rookies (linebacker Jarvis Jones and running back Le'Veon Bell), which has been a rarity under coach Mike Tomlin. (Hensley) 17
Vikings
10-6
--

Last Week: 17 Is Percy Harvin to Greg Jennings that big a downgrade? The Vikes had as good a draft as any team. (Graziano) 18
Last Week: 19 The Dolphins focused on bringing in playmakers on defense, beginning with Oregon linebacker Dion Jordan. But they forgot to find someone to protect Ryan Tannehill's blind side. (Hensley) 19
Last Week: 21 The Bucs inched up a couple of spots after adding CB Darrelle Revis through a trade with the Jets. (Sando) 20
Cowboys
8-8
Last Week: 18 They spent a first-round pick on a center, then picked up two new passing-game weapons for Tony Romo. (Graziano) 21
Last Week: 20 The defense should improve after the Panthers used their first two draft choices for DTs Star Lotulelei and Kawann Short. (Sando) 22
Chiefs
2-14
Last Week: 24 Not surprisingly, in new coach Andy Reid's first draft with the Chiefs, the focus was on offense in the early rounds. (Fox) 23
--

Last Week: 23 The Chargers helped themselves with a solid draft, but they still need a proven left tackle to protect Philip Rivers' blind side. (Fox) 24
Lions
4-12
Last Week: 22 They loaded up on the lines in a very good draft designed to quickly return the team to its 2011 level. (Graziano) 25
Eagles
4-12
Last Week: 26 New coach Chip Kelly remains a mystery. Will Matt Barkley be a factor at QB in 2013? (Graziano) 26
Cardinals
5-11
Last Week: 29 The Cardinals added QB Carson Palmer to their roster since our previous rankings, but not everyone was impressed. (Sando) 27
Titans
6-10
--

Last Week: 27 The Titans had a solid draft, but the success of the team all comes down to the play of QB Jake Locker. (Clayton) 28
Browns
5-11
Last Week: 25 The AFC North team that needed an influx of talent the most decided to sit out this draft. Cleveland made two picks in the first five rounds, trading away its selections in the fourth and fifth rounds. (Hensley) 29
Raiders
4-12
Last Week: 30 The Raiders need more talent. One draft isn't going to change that. (Fox) 30
Bills
6-10
Last Week: 28 What's going on with the Bills? They reached for quarterback EJ Manuel in the first round and spent a second-round pick on linebacker Kiko Alonso, who has had multiple arrests. (Hensley) 31
Jaguars
2-14
Last Week: 32 The Jags passed on quarterbacks in the draft, and that could come back to haunt them. (Clayton) 32
Jets
6-10
Last Week: 31 Every team's goal is to bring in more talent in the draft. The Jets found a way to bring in more quarterback drama. Tim Tebow out, Geno Smith in. (Hensley)

"Experts" keep reporting that we have gotten worse, and have no chance this year. We were in every ball game last year, except maybe 2, and were only 1 play away from winning each of them. We added Kruger, Bryant, Owens, Mingo, and McFadden on D and lost nothing. We added Bess, Lewis, Nelson, and Davis on O and lost nothing. We added legitimate coaches on both sides of the ball. The only player we lost was Cribbs, who contributed very little last year. I don't get it. Nor do I care. Let the team speak by their performance, and at the end of the day we'll see what happens...

As we all know, it really comes down to Weeden...

I think any national writers are timid to give us a chance after we burned them in 08....which is fine. Gotta show something before you get credit, cause otherwise its just hype.

Honestly.. I haven't watched ESPN for anything other than baseball highlights ....they're terrible front running sports journalists that cater to their market....Boston and NY. I'd go to bleacher report before ESPN.

We'll have to remember where ESPN ranked the Browns, and see how the actual season ends up.

Should be embarrassing for ESPN.

For posterity, ESPN had Browns ranked 30th before last season. Actual position was 27th. The most amusing one was right at the top, the Giants ranked number 1, not making the playoffs, and both the colts and vikings, 31st and 32nd, making them.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/powerrankings/_/year/2012/week/0

From what we've seen from last season it seems about the correct placement for us. Until we prove we can win consistently expect to be a bottom 10 team in these power rankings.

I personally believe we have improved on all fronts but most fans think the same way this time of year. "No way we can not be better. Look who we added" is said over and over.

Seahawks may be the most overrated team since Sports Illustrated put Joe Carter and Corey Snyder on the cover in 1986.

Yea we"ll c about that. Wilson is a winner. Plain and simple. Alot of people are bias because of their coach. Love em or hate him he's made them contenders

Z

Seahawks may be the most overrated team since Sports Illustrated put Joe Carter and Corey Snyder on the cover in 1986.

Yea we"ll c about that. Wilson is a winner. Plain and simple. Alot of people are bias because of their coach. Love em or hate him he's made them contenders

Z

we will see about that. They are a solid team, but there is a difference between solid and a contender. They will at least have to win their division before I give them too much credit. BTW Crapernick is a winner too, went further than Wilson did

"Experts" keep reporting that we have gotten worse, and have no chance this year. We were in every ball game last year, except maybe 2, and were only 1 play away from winning each of them. We added Kruger, Bryant, Owens, Mingo, and McFadden on D and lost nothing. We added Bess, Lewis, Nelson, and Davis on O and lost nothing. We added legitimate coaches on both sides of the ball. The only player we lost was Cribbs, who contributed very little last year. I don't get it. Nor do I care. Let the team speak by their performance, and at the end of the day we'll see what happens...

As we all know, it really comes down to Weeden...

I think you are exactly right. Look what we "lost": Frostee Rucker, Juqua Parker, Kaluka Maiava, Usama Young, Sheldon Brown, Ben Watson....and our biggest losses were Cribbs on STs and Dawson.

We replace Rucker and Parker on the DL with Desmond Bryant...a decent upgrade.

We replace Maiava with Kruger and Quentin Groves...big upgrade.

We replace Young with Gipson/Bademosi/Slaughter. Some might say that we went with youth over veterans...but even last year's coaching staff came to the conclusion that Young wasn't much and inserted Gipson. So, you have to call that somewhat of an upgrade.

Sheldon Brown is replace by either Chris Owens or Leon McFadden. Browns savvy wasn't enough to make up for his deterioration in talent. That situation is no worse than break even.

Ben Watson is replaced by Kellen Davis and Barnidge. Given the age vs. youth, again, to my view, at worst break even.

Then there is the simple development of such a young roster. 4 or 5 rookies on offense now with a year under their belt. A few more on defense. Plus the backups on both sides of the ball are much better than a year or two ago.

And then, as noted is the almost certain upgrade in the coaching staff.

I don't know, maybe these rankers are taking all of that into consideration...but I don't think so. I mean, if you just go by draft order the Browns "power rank" was #27....that number being the equivalent of the team that nets the #6 draft pick.

Surely, in my mind, the Browns have come up a few notches from that #27 position.

Though I hate 'power rankings" I would at least put the Browns up around the 20th position...conservatively.

We'll have to remember where ESPN ranked the Browns, and see how the actual season ends up.

Should be embarrassing for ESPN.

I doubt that they ever suffer any emotions like embarassment. Partly because you have to remember, they probably have a dozen or more different analysts giving their rankings at some point. This just happened to be one of them.

we will see about that. They are a solid team, but there is a difference between solid and a contender. They will at least have to win their division before I give them too much credit. BTW Crapernick is a winner too, went further than Wilson did

i agree. i think the seahawks have a real shot. those games this year are going to be bloodbaths. talk about a renewed rivalry. you've got the coaches talkin smack about the other coaches...the players talking about the other players. you'll see more blood in those games than in any twenty MMA fights combined.

if kaepernik goes down, it's hello colt and goodbye title shot.

i agree. i think the seahawks have a real shot. those games this year are going to be bloodbaths. talk about a renewed rivalry. you've got the coaches talkin smack about the other coaches...the players talking about the other players. you'll see more blood in those games than in any twenty MMA fights combined.

if kaepernik goes down, it's hello colt and goodbye title shot.

Are you sure Colt is #2 on the depth chart there?

I think the national media (with a few exceptions) are seriously missing the boat on the Browns.

1. Healthy Trent Richardson, widely seen as the best drafted RB talent since AP. Plus depth.

2. Playoff quality OL.

3. Very promising WR group (Gordon, Little, Bess, Benjie, Nelson).

4. Potentially amazing front 7. I do see that conceded by national media a lot.

5. Top 5 corner AND top 5 safety (if he stays healthy).

6. One of the best three play callers in the NFL.

7. Weeden in the shotgun with Chorv in his ear.

Again (and again): It comes down the QB. You can have all that talent and not even be relevant if you don't get at least good quarterback play (up 80s PR). Maybe that's why national pundits are sleeping on us.

But no additions? Paul Kruger and Desmond Bryant had a higher average f/a rating than just about any team. Kruger, Bryant, Mingo, Groves, Owens, McFadden, Slaughter on defense... Bess, Nelson, Barnidge, Dion Lewis, Campbell, Hoyer, and Chorv on offense. All while the Steelers got even older and everybody left Baltimore.

I'm just confused. I really thought we'd see the Browns as a boutique pick to win the AFCN.

what is their head to head record? Wilson literally couldn't of done anything else to get by atlanta. He was the best qb in that game hands down. And he was the best in the last meeting with SF

what is their head to head record? Wilson literally couldn't of done anything else to get by atlanta. He was the best qb in that game hands down. And he was the best in the last meeting with SF

i don't disagree that Wilson may turn out to be a better QB, but San Fran IS the better team

i don't disagree that Wilson may turn out to be a better QB, but San Fran IS the better team

we, as fans from another team could argue this all day long.

all i'm sayin is i'm watching these games if i have to pay for them or not.

seahawks sweep them 2-0 this year.....IMO.

Id take that bet for anything you want San Fran is gonna take a fat shit on the hawks lmao, as for the national media not giving us credit start watching more NFL live and ESPN they are starting to nudge us a little bit again on TV which has been a pleasant surprise..

I know you wouldn't really bet that (if u would I'm all in) but I wouldn't doubt they split, SF still winning the division

The Seahawks will be good, but 10-6 good, not Super Bowl good.

I don't think the defense will play as well as it did last year and I thin defenses around the league will adjust to Russell Wilson a little bit.

Zombo

Id take that bet for anything you want San Fran is gonna take a fat shit on the hawks lmao, as for the national media not giving us credit start watching more NFL live and ESPN they are starting to nudge us a little bit again on TV which has been a pleasant surprise..

Based on what exactly? The seahawks have a very legit defense with possibly the best corner tandem in the league and two terrific safeties. Bobby wagner exploded on to the scene last season and russel wilson is smart and efficient with a good set of wheels. Sidney rice is healthy and they added a electric wr in percy harvin. All of which doesnt mention marshawn lynch one of the more punishing runners in the league. I wouldnt be so quick to write the seahawks off.

Looking at the last 5 years of ESPN Preseason Power Rankings it seems like is always at least one team that they have ranked low but ended up making the playoffs. Here are the surprises of the last 5 years.

2008; Atlanta was ranked dead last but made the playoffs as a wild card.

2009; Cincinnati was ranked 24th and ended up winning the division.

2010; Kansas City was ranked 27th but made the playoffs.

2011; Bengals were ranked last but made it into the Wild Card.

2012; Vikings and Colts were ranked 31st and 32nd respectively, both made the playoffs.

Why can't the Browns be the surprise team this year?

Since I included 2009's Cincinnati team ranked #24 as a surprise team I will start there for this years Power Rankings.

#24- Detriot Lions- Obviously GB has the division under lock barring a season ending injury to Aaron Rodgers. Could make a play for the Wild Card but I see Chicago getting that spot.

#25- Philly Eagles- Tough division with the always difficult NY Giants, the up and coming Redskins and the dangerous Cowboys. All depends on how Chip Kelly's offense translates.

#26- Arizona Cardinals- Will be lucky to finish 3rd in the division.

#27- Tennessee Titans-Houston is much improved and Indy will be relevant again. Should finish 3rd.

#28- Cleveland Browns- Baltimore is a shell of the team from last year and minus its two biggest leaders will suffer a huge setback. Pittsburgh also lost one if its true leaders in Harrison and probably the most injury prone of the AFCN teams. Cincinnati is on the rise and I expect to take the division. Dependent upon Weeden executing the offense, T-Rich staying healthly and the defense attacking with success I believe the Browns can make a huge improvement and possibly with some luck make a play for #2 in the division and a Wild Card spot.

#29- Oakland Raiders- Will probably finish last in the division.

#30- Buffalo Bills- Have a gut feeling that they could do alright, NYJ are a mess, Miami is improved and NE is at its weakest in years.

#31- Jacksonville Jags- MJD will have to have a AP type of year for them to do anything.

#32- NY Jets- Complete mess. Should have the #1 pick next year.

Looking at the last 5 years of ESPN Preseason Power Rankings it seems like is always at least one team that they have ranked low but ended up making the playoffs. Here are the surprises of the last 5 years.

2008; Atlanta was ranked dead last but made the playoffs as a wild card.

2009; Cincinnati was ranked 24th and ended up winning the division.

2010; Kansas City was ranked 27th but made the playoffs.

2011; Bengals were ranked last but made it into the Wild Card.

2012; Vikings and Colts were ranked 31st and 32nd respectively, both made the playoffs.

Why can't the Browns be the surprise team this year?

Since I included 2009's Cincinnati team ranked #24 as a surprise team I will start there for this years Power Rankings.

#24- Detriot Lions- Obviously GB has the division under lock barring a season ending injury to Aaron Rodgers. Could make a play for the Wild Card but I see Chicago getting that spot.

#25- Philly Eagles- Tough division with the always difficult NY Giants, the up and coming Redskins and the dangerous Cowboys. All depends on how Chip Kelly's offense translates.

#26- Arizona Cardinals- Will be lucky to finish 3rd in the division.

#27- Tennessee Titans-Houston is much improved and Indy will be relevant again. Should finish 3rd.

#28- Cleveland Browns- Baltimore is a shell of the team from last year and minus its two biggest leaders will suffer a huge setback. Pittsburgh also lost one if its true leaders in Harrison and probably the most injury prone of the AFCN teams. Cincinnati is on the rise and I expect to take the division. Dependent upon Weeden executing the offense, T-Rich staying healthly and the defense attacking with success I believe the Browns can make a huge improvement and possibly with some luck make a play for #2 in the division and a Wild Card spot.

#29- Oakland Raiders- Will probably finish last in the division.

#30- Buffalo Bills- Have a gut feeling that they could do alright, NYJ are a mess, Miami is improved and NE is at its weakest in years.

#31- Jacksonville Jags- MJD will have to have a AP type of year for them to do anything.

#32- NY Jets- Complete mess. Should have the #1 pick next year.

Yeah, I would think the Lions, Browns and Bills have the best chance to suprise out of those.

Although God has hated the Lake Erie teams since 1964 for some reason. Polluted Lake? I think they cleaned that up for the most part.

Zombo

I think San Fran, despite what they look like on paper, are going to have a big letdown. First off, no team since the 1972 Miami Dolphins has lost a Super Bowl and then gone on to win it the next year. Then, as someone mentioned, Colt McCoy is their backup QB. No offense, but we here all know that Colt probably cannot be the QB that Kaepernick is.....and the style he plays makes him ripe for some injuries. I know he is a wiry guy....but I think he misses at least a few games this year.....and that will certainly hurt the 49ers chances.

Archived