THE BROWNS BOARD

Income Mobility In America

This is pretty interesting.

mobility-hp.png

In some areas of America, namely the urban centers, if you're born poor you have an okay chance of moving out of poverty. In some areas of the Deep South and the industrial Midwest, you don't really have a very good chance.

Also interesting to look at North Dakota and the surrounding region, currently experiencing a huge oil/gas revival that's boosting so many people's incomes.

This looked at upward mobility.

"Climbing the income ladder occurs less often in the Southeast and industrial Midwest, the data shows, with the odds notably low in Atlanta, Charlotte, Memphis, Raleigh, Indianapolis, Cincinnati and Columbus. By contrast, some of the highest rates occur in the Northeast, Great Plains and West, including in New York, Boston, Salt Lake City, Pittsburgh, Seattle and large swaths of California and Minnesota.

“Where you grow up matters,” said Nathaniel Hendren, a Harvard economist and one of the study’s authors. “There is tremendous variation across the U.S. in the extent to which kids can rise out of poverty.”

That variation does not stem simply from the fact that some areas have higher average incomes: upward mobility rates, Mr. Hendren added, often differ sharply in areas where average income is similar, like Atlanta and Seattle.

The gaps can be stark. On average, fairly poor children in Seattle — those who grew up in the 25th percentile of the national income distribution — do as well financially when they grow up as middle-class children — those who grew up at the 50th percentile — from Atlanta.

Geography mattered much less for well-off children than for middle-class and poor children, according to the results. In an economic echo of Tolstoy’s line about happy families being alike, the chances that affluent children grow up to be affluent are broadly similar across metropolitan areas."

Back when I was discussing some of this stuff with Cysko we went on to the site Great Schools and looked up our high schools and how they were ranked on a 1-10 scale.

Cysko's was a 6. Mine was a 10. I forget what Steve's was, or maybe he didn't respond. But I'd be interested in where everyone's school ranks, because one of the few things this study found is that elementary and high school quality is important.

Mentor High School is a 9, I went to a private school, so it doesn't show a grade. I'd imagine it's similar.

Ha. So your local high school was a 9, but you went to private school anyway? Elitist.

I can understand how mine was a 10, quite frankly. It doesn't bode well for America.

What about some of the other guys? I know most of you are decades away from high school, but find the high school in your area and tell me what the score is.

"But the researchers identified four broad factors that appeared to affect income mobility, including the size and dispersion of the local middle class. All else being equal, upward mobility tended to be higher in metropolitan areas where poor families were more dispersed among mixed-income neighborhoods.

Income mobility was also higher in areas with more two-parent households, better elementary schools and high schools, and more civic engagement, including membership in religious and community groups."

Ha. So your local high school was a 9, but you went to private school anyway? Elitist.

I can understand how mine was a 10, quite frankly. It doesn't bode well for America.

What about some of the other guys? I know most of you are decades away from high school, but find the high school in your area and tell me what the score is.

"But the researchers identified four broad factors that appeared to affect income mobility, including the size and dispersion of the local middle class. All else being equal, upward mobility tended to be higher in metropolitan areas where poor families were more dispersed among mixed-income neighborhoods.

Income mobility was also higher in areas with more two-parent households, better elementary schools and high schools, and more civic engagement, including membership in religious and community groups."

I actually went there for a bit, transferred out due to bullying. I'm really glad I didn't go there after 9/11, I got the nickname "bin Laden" a year prior to the attack because these whitebred Retards don't know the difference between a Mexican, an Arab, and a Filipino. A bunch of people in the neighborhood I grew up in were bullied, and my friend's younger sister killed herself due to being bullied at that school. That friend died of a drug overdose, and the last brother killed himself. Mentor is the whitest city in the US with a population over 50,000. That high school is miserable for anyone that's different. There was a string of highly publicized student suicides due to bullying.

Anyways, that's really off-topic, the high school's facilities are top notch. They get B and C list musicians to do concerts at their fine art center every now and then. Their sports programs are excellent, too. It's easily the best public school in Lake County.

A little more background. My grandparents were middle-lower class, my parents are a pretty typical middle class family, and right now I'm essentially a slave graduate student and will hopefully end up in the top 5% of earners. The American dream is still possible, just not damn likely.

I actually went there for a bit, transferred out due to bullying. I'm really glad I didn't go there after 9/11, I got the nickname "bin Laden" a year prior to the attack because these whitebred Retards don't know the difference between a Mexican, an Arab, and a Filipino. A bunch of people in the neighborhood I grew up in were bullied, and my friend's younger sister killed herself due to being bullied at that school. That friend died of a drug overdose, and the last brother killed himself. Mentor is the whitest city in the US with a population over 50,000. That high school is miserable for anyone that's different. There was a string of highly publicized student suicides due to bullying.

Anyways, that's really off-topic, the high school's facilities are top notch. They get B and C list musicians to do concerts at their fine art center every now and then. Their sports programs are excellent, too. It's easily the best public school in Lake County.

A little more background. My grandparents were middle-lower class, my parents are a pretty typical middle class family, and right now I'm essentially a slave graduate student and will hopefully end up in the top 5% of earners. The American dream is still possible, just not damn likely.

Wow. And hats off to them for knowing who Bin Laden was a year prior to 9/11, I guess.

Stafford Elementary 2 - it didnt rate what years these reflect - it was a k-6 when I went, now it is listed as 4-5

definitely skewed....

Southview Jr High 9 ( Edina Mn)

Edina HS 10.

sorry to say - but glad my school life was better here in Minn than in Cleveland....

Stow High - 9

Back in the day...who knows ? GGG

And Vapor, that is worse than disgusting to be bullied, and misjudged like that.

Ditto.

What we seem to be missing here, is why some areas have far less upward mobility.

How much is due to that subcultural determination to be entitled and subsidized as a way of life?

Sad as it is, I don't know if there are stats for that... Said entitlement and hopeless dependency being

so often a deliberate cycle of poverty...

I'll repeat if it helps. my mother died when I was 4. I went to 7 schools until I graduated. my last 3 years were at a good school. some others were below average.

hard to tell what you are trying to prove.

perhaps in addition to row parent families you should ask how many were born to semi literate teenage single girls who are 3rd or 4th generation welfare recipients?

as to the point it seems like you are making about the quality of schools perhaps you can tell us if its a chicken or an egg argument.

are certain races under performing because the schools are bad or are the schools bad because they are predominately made up of that certain race?

WSS

I'll repeat if it helps. my mother died when I was 4. I went to 7 schools until I graduated. my last 3 years were at a good school. some others were below average.

hard to tell what you are trying to prove.

perhaps in addition to row parent families you should ask how many were born to semi literate teenage single girls who are 3rd or 4th generation welfare recipients?

as to the point it seems like you are making about the quality of schools perhaps you can tell us if its a chicken or an egg argument.

are certain races under performing because the schools are bad or are the schools bad because they are predominately made up of that certain race?

WSS

Its not the quality of schools, it's the lack of effort, and parental involvement amongst blacks.

Dr. John Ogbu (a black man himself), from the University of California was invited by Shaker Heights to help identify why black students were lagging behind whites.

Portion of the article:

Professor Ogbu's latest conclusions are highlighted in a study of blacks in Shaker Heights, Ohio, an affluent Cleveland suburb whose school district is equally divided between blacks and whites. As in many racially integrated school districts, the black students have lagged behind whites in grade-point averages, test scores and placement in high-level classes. Professor Ogbu was invited by black parents in 1997 to examine the district's 5,000 students to figure out why.

''What amazed me is that these kids who come from homes of doctors and lawyers are not thinking like their parents; they don't know how their parents made it,'' Professor Ogbu said in an interview. ''They are looking at rappers in ghettos as their role models, they are looking at entertainers. The parents work two jobs, three jobs, to give their children everything, but they are not guiding their children.

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/11/30/arts/why-are-black-students-lagging.html?pagewanted=all&src=pm

Solon High is majority white, but has a very diverse student population of blacks, Chinese, and Indian.

I don't even need to tell you which group is consistantly at the bottom academically.

Dr. Ben Carson, one of the most distinguished neurosurgeons in the country grew up in a crime infested neighborhood of Detroit and somehow made it.

If only the left would start respecting those blacks who contradict the left's narrative of victimhood.

Instead of berating them...

Archived