THE BROWNS BOARD

Things To Love, July Edition

Shep

I'll start:

1. All Browns rookies are signed and in camp... and all are cleared to play, including Jamoris Slaughter. I don't count Faulk because he was undrafted but even he's close. PUP is day to day and he's working out pretty freely.

If Slaughter continues to look 100%, I won't be too surprised if Bademosi moves back to corner.

2. Just read that Little spent three days in Oklahoma with Weeden (and Cooper) over the break. Guy has really shown an excellent work ethic and has zero off-field problems. He didn't drop the ball at all for the second half of last season... and let's not forget that he's a freak athlete with a 41" vert and 27 reps in addition to a RB body and good speed.

Don't be shocked if HE leads the Browns in receptions and yards.

3. Coaches are getting a little more gush-ey about Weeden's progress, saying his footwork has really improved and allowed him to do everything faster (like make reads and get the ball out). Weeden says it's "night and day," that he's vastly improved.

Never any question about the dude's arm talent, which is A+. In the shotgun way more with improved footwork? I'm getting really, really optimistic.

4. Browns already listed as possible suitor for Donald Jones. Why does that make me happy? Because we're still looking to get better, even at a crowded WR position.

5. T-Rich has already been practicing full-go for several days and is 100%. I didn't really have any fears about that or I would've put it higher. He has a history of working out too hard and straining leg muscles.

BTW, David Nelson is being counted on even more than before because of Gordon's suspension, creating some size matchups and blending with Little, Bess, and Benjamin for a couple games.

Should we be bummed that he's starting camp on PUP? After he said he feels like he's 100% ready to go? Not really. Team has him as "day to day," wants to make sure he IS at his best come September, will ease him into action over the first several days of camp. Most likely want to see how the knee responds to jogging/running first.

He's like 11 months out of surgery so he really should be good to go.

Another thing to love: Bengals cut Travelle Wharton, all but admitting that last year's free agent class (including Benjarvis Whatever-Whatever) was a complete washout. I don't think they did anything this year either.

I just don't see them as the "breakout team" others do. They have a lot of receiving weapons but a so-so QB to keep them down.

Another thing to love: Bengals cut Travelle Wharton, all but admitting that last year's free agent class (including Benjarvis Whatever-Whatever) was a complete washout. I don't think they did anything this year either.

I just don't see them as the "breakout team" others do. They have a lot of receiving weapons but a so-so QB to keep them down.

Don't know Shep, & if you remember, I live in Bungle-land. They're loaded @ WR, the defense is decent- & they resigned all the significant FA's they had.

Yeah, but I mean adding guys... which they haven't the past couple years.

I think Joe Banner belongs atop my list of things to be happy about. I agree with Shaw: He wouldn't agree with much of what Heckert did, though. He wouldn't draft a RB at #3 and Tannehill would almost certainly be our starter.

http://www.cleveland.com/budshaw/index.ssf/2013/07/post_57.html

I get the sense the Browns are giving David Nelson a minor slap on the wrist. He proclaimed himself 100% on June 3, like 7 weeks ago, and has been seen running routes full-speed in the field house, yet he starts camp on the PUP.

Why? Maybe because he didn't rehab or work out in Cleveland at all. He did some amazing humanitarian work in Haiti but I'm not sure how far that goes with a head football coach. There's a little bit of "fuck you" in saying we could take him off the PUP any day but we need to gauge his health. His surgery was like 11 months ago, a lifetime in today's ACL recovery standards.

Frankly, showing a little interest in Donald Jones should spook Nelson, too. Nelson's quote that he's 100% devoted to the team and the city sounded like a guy who knows his coach wasn't very happy with his absence.

He could be crazy valuable. Just read he's had 6 drops in 150 targets, which is fantastic. He's 6'5" and can run, too. If he's 100%, I wanna see some formations with Bess and Nelson in the slots between Benjamin and Little.

- Horton doesn't gives a shit what Mingo weighs. Says he wants an athlete who can get around the edge. Team will emphasize "legal punishment of the QB." Love it large.

- While praising Weeden's improvement, Chud still calls it a competition. There's a strong sense among the new brass that the youngsters were way too entitled last year and need to be righted.

- Horton says Bademosi has been "good, not great" in converting to safety. I still say if Slaughter proves he's 100% to back up or compete with Gipson, Bademosi moves back to corner where we need some size.

I should add that Horton seems to like the idea that corners can be safeties and vice-versa, all a matter of the package and who's standing in front of whom. Bademosi might list as a safety but cover larger receivers on third down. It's not gonna be as didactic as we're used to.

I get the sense the Browns are giving David Nelson a minor slap on the wrist. He proclaimed himself 100% on June 3, like 7 weeks ago, and has been seen running routes full-speed in the field house, yet he starts camp on the PUP.

Why? Maybe because he didn't rehab or work out in Cleveland at all. He did some amazing humanitarian work in Haiti but I'm not sure how far that goes with a head football coach. There's a little bit of "fuck you" in saying we could take him off the PUP any day but we need to gauge his health. His surgery was like 11 months ago, a lifetime in today's ACL recovery standards.

Frankly, showing a little interest in Donald Jones should spook Nelson, too. Nelson's quote that he's 100% devoted to the team and the city sounded like a guy who knows his coach wasn't very happy with his absence.

He could be crazy valuable. Just read he's had 6 drops in 150 targets, which is fantastic. He's 6'5" and can run, too. If he's 100%, I wanna see some formations with Bess and Nelson in the slots between Benjamin and Little.

So, who is this Donald Jones.....and will getting him satisfy Ghoolie's desire to pick up a top speed burner?

Some good points Shep. I like that we are still signing guys. We just signed a receiver, Naanam Roosevelt...not a household name by any means, but he managed to stick with the Bills for 3 years, so who knows?

You don't just build a team or unit from the top down. Good teams also try to build from the bottom up.

I like it.

There's a WR out there somewhere who might be on the team for two regular season games, then gone.

Here are the WRs currently on the roster

Josh Cooper

Jordan Norwood

Keenan Davis

Cordell Roberson

Naaman Roosevelt.

Mike Edwards.

Greg Little

Travis Benjamin

Tori Gurley

Dominique Croom

David Nelson

Davone Bess

That's a dozen. Davis, Roberson, Croom and Edwards are rookies. What I am not sure of is, if they kept one of them on the roster for 2 games, whether or not they could then shift them to the practice squad after that. I tend to think not.

There are 8 other veterans.

I think it is fair to say that Little, Benjamin, Bess and Gordon are pretty safe for their roster spots.

How many WRs do you think they will retain on the 53 man roster?

Maybe they brought in a guy like Roosevelt to be that guy they keep for 2 games while Gordon is on suspension. Or someone else?

Teams usually only dress five unless one guy is secretly a ST player.

The Browns clear five are Gordon, Little, Bess, Benjamin, and Nelson... assuming health. A sixth roster spot goes to... Josh Cooper? But some (including Grossi) have made the point that there are so many other guys who like the slot (Bess, Nelson, Gordon), do you keep a PURE slot like Cooper? Or do you make that sixth guy (who only dresses in emergency) someone with a higher upside? I know there's intrigue about Gurley perhaps evolving into a TE/WR hybrid, for instance.

My gut says Cooper ends up making it because of his relationship with Weeds... and he's a good player. So does one of those other guys stick temporarily, for those two games? It's not absolutely necessary. You just bump #6 to #5 and let him dress (like Cooper, for instance).

First two games are GREAT opportunities for Benjamin, who really intrigues Chorv... and Jordan Cameron.

I dont know that this regime is the kind that would let a guy hang around just for having a relationship with another player.

Depends on the "relationship"... ;)

I still maintain that the "unexpected" competition from Gordon for #1 WR is what prompted Little's improvement last year.

There's a WR out there somewhere who might be on the team for two regular season games, then gone.

Not sure if you are replying to me or not....I think Roosevelt stuck entire seasons.

There's no excuses for Weeden. He has a terrific, kick ass oline, a nice upgraded wr core,

te's (Cameron may very well become a star, I think), Richardson and the rest of the rb's...(I want to see Lewis play...),

an aggressive system, with aggressive coaches.

I hope he doesn't feel the pressure...but it's going to be there. Everything is in place now, for him to shine in a dramatic way.

And the front seven on defense? That's scary stuff for any opposing offense they play. I imagine the NFL qb's who face

this Browns front seven on a third and long, aren't going to have much time to make a play.

The question of how many wr's will they keep and which ones, confounds me. But it's a great, new problem for the Browns to have.

Don't forget Jordan Norwood. His experience and consistency put him as probably the #6 receiver. All of those young guys have to prove something to push him out of his likely roster spot.

Many teams keep 6 WRs on the 53-man roster. The decision of who dresses and who doesn't typically depends on injuries. 45 dress on Sunday, plus your emergency QB. That leaves 7 every week who are inactive. If a guy can prove to be a force on ST from the WR position, they will dress over a guy like Nelson who probably sits 5th on the depth chart.

And we CAN put a guy on the 53-man roster for 2 games and then move him to the practice squad. But remember, players have to clear 24-hour waivers in order to be put on your PS, so it's not automatic (like baseball's minor league) that you get to keep your guy.

We get a roster spot for Gordon the first two weeks, so, assuming everyone is healthy, I think six of these guys make the roster: Little, Bess, Benjamin, Nelson for sure and two guys out of Norwood, Cooper, Roosevelt, Davis, Gurley.

My Guess is Norwood and Roosevelt grab those two roster spots, Cooper is cut, and between Davis and Gurley, one goes on IR and the other on the practice squad.

When Gordon comes back they would cut Roosevelt.

Again, assuming the top six stay completely healthy ... that won't happen.

Zombo

There's no excuses for Weeden. He has a terrific, kick ass oline, a nice upgraded wr core,

te's (Cameron may very well become a star, I think), Richardson and the rest of the rb's...(I want to see Lewis play...),

an aggressive system, with aggressive coaches.

I hope he doesn't feel the pressure...but it's going to be there. Everything is in place now, for him to shine in a dramatic way.

And the front seven on defense? That's scary stuff for any opposing offense they play. I imagine the NFL qb's who face

this Browns front seven on a third and long, aren't going to have much time to make a play.

The question of how many wr's will they keep and which ones, confounds me. But it's a great, new problem for the Browns to have.

Ghoolie would say you are FOS with all your optimism, that this team will be worse than last year. That the QB sucks, the WRs suck, the defense sucks, the coaches suck, the offensive line is fat and overpaid. So? What do you say to that?

LOL. Ghoolie and I are very cool. He and Rich have always had the "oline is a dime a dozen" nonsense going on....

But this oline has already made a huge difference for Weeden last year, with Swartz manning RT.

So, I hope he comes back so we can give him crap about how great the oline plays....

Hey, Ghoolie buddy, you picked a fine time to avoid talking about the offensive line, Lucille ! GGG

Now, I'll respond here, after Ghoolie replied in the "Dickheads on Parade" thread....after

posting about Kosar sounding drunk.........

yeah.

AH, I ee, so what you are saying, is all these teams that finished in teh shitter, should be our model for drafting? Ahhhh yes, let us model ourselves after KC> Boy, that really showed me something.
YOu know, if you have a solid team, the by all means spend a high pick on a lard ass OL. But the Browns? he fucktards can't even catch footballs in touch football training camp.
nopie, nopie, nopie ....
See, a lot the better teams already invested in their oline. For instance, your Steelers have a 1st round center,
2nd rounder at RT, 2nd rounder at LT, and a 1st rounder at one guard position. The other guard was a big undrafted fa.
And still, Pittifulburg's oline is being questioned. Good teams invest in blocking on that offensive line, like they do
investing on their defensive line. It's a team game, and the oline is the engine that makes the offense
be able to run.
And that's a fact, jack.

Archived