THE BROWNS BOARD

Man Of Steel Review

Man Of Steel

Warner Brothers

PG 13 143 min

There is one, I repeat one superhero to which every other super hero aspires to be. Since to Jewish kids in Cleveland Ohio had a brainstorm everyone with a pen and ink has tried to match the world wide, make that galaxy wide success of Superman. So I take these movies personally. That's not to say that I disparage the fans of the X Men or Spider Man or any of the others but I take a much narrower view of impropriety here.

If you have chosen to continue reading, disregarding my spoiler warning, let me say that I did not hate MAN OF STEEL. I think the Christopher Reeves series went downhill as it progressed and the last incarnation was just awful. Admittedly one of my biggest fears about MAN OF STEEL is the fact that I think Henry Cavill is one of the worst actors I've seen in a while. He was actively terrible in that Titans movie as well as that piece of crap with Bruce Willis and Susan Sarandon, but I give the guy props for looking the part here. And shall we admit that the role of Superman doesn't call for any great thespian ability? Looking good in the suit and posing in front of the green screen is 80 percent of the gig and he handles that admirably. What heavy lifting there is, has been given to Russell Crowe (Jor El) and Kevin Costner (Pa Kent) and the rest. Visually even though just about everyone can master computer generated imagery here it is done as well or better than any I've seen.

Also it's an easy guess that there's going to be a lot of high-powered action scenes, flying, fighting and blowing stuff up etc etc.

I personally found that portion of the film to be as exciting and fun as anyone could ask for.

As for the story itself we begin with the well -known tail of Kryptonian scientists, Jor El and Lara packing their only son Kal onto a space probe as their home planet begins to implode. Since someone has decided that this bogus general Zod is to be an integral character they've had to make up a motivation for him. Since Krypton is doomed he wants to take over another planet destroy their population and replace it with the Master Race. Well, I made a conscious decision to accept that plot line but soon other inconsistencies with the legend began to bother me.

First of all Lois Lane meets and befriends our hero before he ever considers putting on a cape. For us purists her continuous quest to discover the identity of Superman is an integral part of the story.

Number 2, I'm not buying the idea that the young Clark Kent would stand by and watch his father be killed just to preserve some secret identity.

Number 3, did the writers never pick up a comic book and realize that what gives Clark Kent super powers is the fact that Earth has a Yellow Sun as opposed to the red one on Krypton? Here someone has decided its Earths atmosphere.

Number 4 they almost completely blew by the entire Superboy in Smallville era and introduced the main character as a super drifter at the age of 33.

Even if the fundamentalists among us decide to overlook these and other gaffes its not even a great movie to begin with. Oh its enjoyable enough but it certainly falls short of the expectations especially after the incredible work that Christopher Nolan did with the Batman series. I still recommend MAN OF STEELbut with a tepid C plus.

Im assuming Lex Luthor shows up in the next installment and hed better not be wearing a damn wig!

C+

WSS

hated the christopher reeves superman movies.

terrible acting. terrible effects (even given the lack there-of at the time)..........

i'd rather watch the animated series.

at least the last 2 attempts have had vision and show the landscape in a larger, more realistic worldscape.

a great scene from the last attempt by xmen director //////////// when he falls from space and all you see is him small as a fly plummeting to earth was priceless.

Archived