THE BROWNS BOARD

Despicable Me 2 Review

Despicable Me 2

Universal

PG 98 min

Hi folks. Well first the good news. If you were a big fan , like hundreds of thousands of others of the original DESPICABLE ME you will have a wonderful time watching DESPICABLE ME 2. Now for the bad news. Hey wait... Gee I guess there really isn't any bad news. Well wait, I went to the 3d showing and it cost me 28 bucks for two tickets which works out to roughly 5 pints of quality beer but thats not bad news for you.

Anyway it's no easy task to come up with much of a review since there isn't a lot that's groundbreaking here. I will repeat, however, that Illumination Entertainment the creative team behind this series is heavyweight contender to the Disney championship belt. Not that there've been any knockout blow struck against mouse central and Pixar but these guys have actually landed a glove on the champ.

This animated escapade is about as good as they get. Oh the plot isn't particularly groundbreaking, many of the elements of the original have been warmed up and served in a casserole but this time replacing the bonding sequences with the children we have bonding sequences with a love interest, special agent Lucy (Kristen Wiig). In the last film Gru (Steve Carell) saw the error of his evil ways and is now a productive member of society working hard too perfect his own line of jams and jellies. The effort isn't going very well and our hero is a bit frustrated. All of a sudden at anti evil organization recruits him to help get to the bottom of yet another sinister plan to rule the world. He is reluctantly teamed up with Lucy, a female agent and finds himself fighting an odd attraction. I'm not a huge fan of Carell but I must admit that the chemistry between Gru and Lucy shines through the animation and their repartee is clean and crisp. Not only that but he carries off the accent without a slip. And all of those little yellow minions we have come to know and love are just as mischievous and entertaining as ever. Other personal twists in this action feature involve young love between one of his daughters and a handsome young man as well as parking of the ways with his old sidekick Dr Nefario (Russell Brand) who is bored with the straight life. Theres plenty of silliness and fun for all ages and a non stop pace that guarantees you wont be bored.

B+

WSS

It doesnt hurt that Pixar is having a drought and a bad case of sequel-itis right now. Cars 2, now monsters university to be followed by planes and finding Dory.

Disney's own 3d studio has recently put out tangled and wreck-it Ralph both of which were better than Pixar's last two. As for despicable me 2 its good but in my opinion is much more on DreamWorks' level than Disney/Pixar's. That is, to say, not close.

It doesnt hurt that Pixar is having a drought and a bad case of sequel-itis right now. Cars 2, now monsters university to be followed by planes and finding Dory.

Disney's own 3d studio has recently put out tangled and wreck-it Ralph both of which were better than Pixar's last two. As for despicable me 2 its good but in my opinion is much more on DreamWorks' level than Disney/Pixar's. That is, to say, not close.

so you have a good eye for animation.

are 2d movies as appealing to you as 3d? what was your fave 2d animated series as a kid?

i love great art and when an animator can throw his style upon something that becomes historic (simpsons, family guy, south park etc.) then i'm watchin.

IMHO the best 2d i've ever seen done (in recent years....i mean i watched the batman cartoons, spiderman etc. as a kid) is the series 'superjail'. i mean either these guys are just uber nerds or they're doing some serious hallucenagenics.

Archived