THE BROWNS BOARD

Training Camp Notes, Edition #1

Shep

Figure we'll start over once in a while...

1. Sounds to me from several tweets and reports that Weeden was really bad in the first half, got way better later. Still... a little unnerving for me.

2. Richardson looked awesome.

3. Greco and Lauvao the guards, not Pinkston and Greco as I expect. We'll see.

4. Gordon limped off with some kind of cramp.

5. David Nelson cleared, probably practices today. What a shocker (!). He's 6'5", had 61/658 in his only season with Bills, and he never drops the ball. If he hadn't gotten hurt, he'd be seen as a huge get, as huge as Bess. Nice work, Banner.

Is anyone one attending camp this year? I know some of you guys have gone in the past.

Figure we'll start over once in a while...

5. David Nelson cleared, probably practices today. What a shocker (!). He's 6'5", had 61/658 in his only season with Bills, and he never drops the ball. If he hadn't gotten hurt, he'd be seen as a huge get, as huge as Bess. Nice work, Banner.

Weekly might make sense...

On Nelson... You're sighting his 2011 stats. Pro football ref has him with Bills 3 years (including injury year in 2012).

Total stats were 32 games/ 17 starts/ 94 rec/ 1042 yds/ 11.1 ypc/ 8 TD

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/N/NelsDa01.htm?redir

If we signed him for league minimum ($350k-ish), looks like a worthwhile shot to me. Clearly Bills were not willing to risk $1.3 mil to lock him up. Completely torn ACL in a non-contact situation is off-putting, but Dr. Andrews did the surgury and Nelson seems like a high character guy, so worth a shot.

I understand there may some injury issue with Phil Taylor. Know anything?

Taylor is more britle than our star RB... Clevelandbrowns.com reports a strained calf muscle suffered a week and a half ago...

Hopefully he can get that squared away and be ready to play NT all season. Hughes is taking 1st team reps, which doesn't bother me. He's a good fit at that position as well.

Kellen Davis and Chris Faulk are the other two missing practice... Davis with a slight knee strain. Faulk still recovering from knee injury. He might start the year on IR, so we can keep him around...

Nelson was cleared to practice today, albeit probably a light workout.

Any news on Gordon yet?

Kellen Davis and Chris Faulk are the other two missing practice... Davis with a slight knee strain. Faulk still recovering from knee injury. He might start the year on IR, so we can keep him around...

Nelson was cleared to practice today, albeit probably a light workout.

Any news on Gordon yet?

It was just a cramp up yesterday. Mentions on twitter that he is practicing normally today.

Reports are that all the QBs are throwing INTs and the WRs are dropping balls... Norv chewing some of the guys out in the last hour, according to Nate Ulrich.

Well, it's either REALLY good DB play, or poor QB/WR play... hopefully it's the former...

Long way to go still. Chud said Weeden is progressing, and he really likes Haden and Gipson...

Reports are that all the QBs are throwing INTs and the WRs are dropping balls... Norv chewing some of the guys out in the last hour, according to Nate Ulrich.

Well, it's either REALLY good DB play, or poor QB/WR play... hopefully it's the former...

Long way to go still. Chud said Weeden is progressing, and he really likes Haden and Gipson...

Collective Quote From the Homer-tards..............

"Ghoolie, you are an idiot, don't you realize we have the best QB we hve had yet? Don't you realize that our WR corps is very special?

Yes, once again, I am wrong. This business of the QBs looking bad and our WRs dropping balls is REALLY GOOD NEWS, and it is making me look pretty Stupid.

BY all means, lets spend the entire training camp teaching men who have been catching footballs all their lives, to ahhhhh do what? Oh, yeah, learn to play catch.

YESSSS, OH MY GOD YES, I have really underestimated this wunderkind.

My fear about Weeds is that it all looks very different when defenses start getting up in his grill. We'll see... it's very early. DraftBrowns said the DBs clearly won the day yesterday which means the QBs didn't, but part of that was a tweaked Gordon not running sharp routes or able to go full speed.

Phil Taylor is practicing today and fine. Just a slight calf strain. Not a biggie.

Craig Robertson is getting SO much love. Good to hear because I got a football woody for him last year. His 10-yard split has to be insane. He looks like my son playing linebacker (!), shot out of a cannon.

Browns' Ryan Miller hospitalized
Updated: July 27, 2013, 5:36 PM ET
Associated Press

BEREA, Ohio -- Cleveland Browns offensive lineman Ryan Miller has been taken to the hospital after being carted off the field during practice.

A team spokesman said the player is "awake, alert and has movement in all four extremities."

Cleveland's players, wearing shoulder pads for the first time in training camp, were doing one-on-one drills inside the team's indoor facility when the player wound up on the turf. It's not known if he was injured or collapsed.

As medical personnel rushed in, the music inside the field house was turned off and several Browns players took a knee. After the player was immobilized and strapped to a backboard, the team and coaching staff huddled around the player and prayed.

Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press

I hope he is OK, didn't impress last year, I've got him on the bubble to make the team this year with veterans Cousins and Butler to backup at Tackle, and lots of bodies that can play inside.

Zombo

Browns' Ryan Miller hospitalized
Updated: July 27, 2013, 5:36 PM ET
Associated Press

BEREA, Ohio -- Cleveland Browns offensive lineman Ryan Miller has been taken to the hospital after being carted off the field during practice.

A team spokesman said the player is "awake, alert and has movement in all four extremities."

Cleveland's players, wearing shoulder pads for the first time in training camp, were doing one-on-one drills inside the team's indoor facility when the player wound up on the turf. It's not known if he was injured or collapsed.

As medical personnel rushed in, the music inside the field house was turned off and several Browns players took a knee. After the player was immobilized and strapped to a backboard, the team and coaching staff huddled around the player and prayed.

Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press

BTW ... shouldn't he have five extremities?

Z

I'm telling you it's our year.

Pitta out, nice!

Remember when we signed LeCharles Bentley. Biggest free agent on the market, and then he ruined his career on the first snap of his first Browns training camp?

Now it's Ryan Miller with a concussion and Gordon stepping aside for two games so Benjamin can become a star ... We got this.

Z

I'm not a concussion expert, but to get this injury in practice is very strange,

http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp13/story/_/id/9514429/cleveland-browns-ryan-miller-released-hospital-concussion

I was listening to the radio when this happened and it didn't sound good at all.

They reported that the Browns requested all cameras off and to not release the player name which is pretty odd because naturally that makes you think someone has died.

They also said the all the Browns starters were accounted for and I was hoping it was not some tragedy involving Pinkston & his blood clot problems.

Indeed pretty strange to hear of something like this in a 1 on 1 drill hope Miller gets well soon.

They are dropping like fly's...................... Could Ben be next?????????????? Or even Flacco?????????????????

http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp13/story/_/id/9514415/baltimore-ravens-dennis-pitta-done-season-dislocated-hip-source-says

I'm telling you it's our year.

Pitta out, nice!

Remember when we signed LeCharles Bentley. Biggest free agent on the market, and then he ruined his career on the first snap of his first Browns training camp?

Now it's Ryan Miller with a concussion and Gordon stepping aside for two games so Benjamin can become a star ... We got this.

Z

Could be.

My thinking is Gordons absence will propel Jordon Cameron to an elite level.

Heck, lets just say it propels them both!

The Browns did some extensive work on screen passes, a staple of Chudzinski's offense.

Cool - I don't have to start a thread about this. The statement above is
exciting stuff.
How many folks have wondered where the hell the screen pass has been with the Browns? Other teams
have used it a ton, and the Browns kept acting like they knew they couldn't try one.
That's one of the best reasons, imho, to have dumped Shrimplur. What, Shurmur decided that he didn't
have a strong RT, that defenses would know that he could only run a screen to the left, so he "fooled em" by
not running one at all?
This offense is going to be exciting stuff. With the line intact, the aggressive systems in place, a SMART, legit coaching
staff, put it all together, and the Browns will shock the AFCN, as well as the rest of the teams they place.
I wonder who Miller conked helmets with ? When a big guy like him gets a concussion, that's scary.Great that he's okay.

Archived