THE BROWNS BOARD

Callis Chat

Beanpot

Good number of Tribe related questions in his latest chat:

Arnie New York: Jim, who reaches the majors first and do you think it will be this year. Justin Smoak, Gordon Beckham or Matt LaPorta? Thanks for taking my question.

SportsNation Jim Callis: LaPorta, because he's further along. I think he'll be in Cleveland before the all-star break.

------

Scott (Hartford, CT): Thanks for the chat. Who would you say are the five prospects most likely to help major league clubs this year?

SportsNation Jim Callis:

David Price, lhp, Rays

Matt Wieters, c, Orioles

Colby Rasmus, of, Cardinals

Tommy Hanson, rhp, Braves

Matt LaPorta, of, Indians

------

Jim (KC): Last week you stated you would put Cleveland's farm system ahead of KC's, where would the other al central teams fit?

SportsNation Jim Callis: I had the Indians at No. 7, the Royals at No. 9, the White Sox at No. 14, the Twins at No. 22 and the Tigers at No. 25.

------

Jake (Buffalo , NY): who's got the best upside for the Tribe- they all seem about the same- S. Lewis, D. Huff, J. Sowers, A. Laffey?

SportsNation Jim Callis: I like Huff the best of that group. His changeup is a difference-maker.

------

KO (Pittsfield, MA): Best chance at becoming a useful major league starter over the next 5 years: Andrew Miller or Homer Bailey?

SportsNation Jim Callis: Miller.

------

Keith (Chicago): Is Michael Brantley an everyday player?

SportsNation Jim Callis: Not unless he finds more power. At least not on a contender.

------

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=24671

Beanpot

Callis was also asked about Madison Bumgarner of the Giants, the filthy lefty who was selected 10th overall in 2007 and dominated the Sally League last year. Just to give a quick look at how a potential #1 treats his high school opponents, here's youtube to the rescue:

Beanpot

And to go way, way, waaay off topic, here's another example of domination in another sport. I don't read the football or basketball forums here all that often and I'm guessing someone there already alerted everyone to the greatest blog known to man, but just in case - this came from Mark Titus and his Club Trillion blog while he was posting about being the whitest man on the Buckeyes:

About Dallas Lauderdale: He easily has the ugliest jump shot on the team. And as a general rule of thumb, if you can't shoot, you really can't epitomize an average white guy. Plus he's black, which doesn't bode well for a whitest guy on the team contest.

And B.J. Mullens: Has a legitimate chance at being the top pick in the NBA draft in the future. Honestly, B.J., what do you think this is? 1955? White guys just don't go first in the draft, especially white guys from America.

If you haven't read his blog, do yourself a favor and check out http://clubtrillion.blogspot.com/ His stuff about Erin Andrews is especially legendary. Anyway, here's B.J. beating the snot out of his peers:

Beanpot

As for Brantley, the PD ran a nice piece on him earlier this week. Yeah, he's especially easy to root for:

On July 7, every Indians fan knew the identities of three of the four players received from Milwaukee for CC Sabathia. Outfielder Matt LaPorta was the key to the deal. Left-hander Zach Jackson was going to help keep manager Eric Wedge's starting rotation afloat in the second half. Rob Bryson was a hard-throwing right-hander who blew out his shoulder after throwing 67 1/3 innings at Class A Lake County.

Where was Brantley while all this was going on? In the dark.

At the time of the trade, Brantley was listed only as "player to be named." GM Mark Shapiro added to the intrigue by saying the fourth player had a chance to be a good big-league player.

Brantley, a left-handed-hitting leadoff hitter at Class AA Huntsville, immediately surfaced as a candidate. So did third baseman Tyler Green at Class A Brevard County.

"There were a lot of rumors going around," said Brantley on Monday as part of the Indians press tour. "Players were coming up to me and saying, 'You're gone. You're gone.' I would say, 'I don't know. I haven't gotten a phone call. When I find out, I'll let you know.'"

This went on for almost three months.

"There were a lot of phone calls and text messages in the middle of the night," said Brantley.

The deal was finally completed on Oct. 3. Brantley, 21, was coming the Indians' way. The deal took so long because of an unique "gentlemen's agreement" between Shapiro and Brewers GM Doug Melvin.

If the Brewers made the postseason, the Indians would get to pick the player of their choice from a list of prospects. If the Brewers fell short, they'd pick the player the Indians would receive.

Milwaukee made the postseason for the first time since 1982 -- thanks in large part to Sabathia's pitching -- and the Indians chose Brantley.

"When it finally happened, it was a relief," said Brantley. "There were no more questions and thoughts."

Brantley used his father, Mickey, to calm his nerves through the long wait. Mickey Brantley played three years with Seattle. He's been a minor-league coach and manager and was on Toronto's coaching staff from 2005 through 2007.

"He just told me it's a business and that eventually everyone has to go through it," said Brantley. "He always says that if you have a jersey on your back you've got a chance."

Brantley will open this season at Class AAA Columbus. Last year in Huntsville, he played 62 games in center and 21 each in left field and first base. There was never a question about where he hit in the lineup.

"Every start I had, I hit in the leadoff spot," he said.

Brantley hit .319 (134-for-420) with 80 runs, 50 walks and 28 steals in 36 attempts. He had almost twice as many walks than strikeouts (50 to 27) and ranked second in all of minor league baseball with a strikeout per plate appearance ratio of 17.7 (27 of 479).

"I describe myself as a table setter," said Brantley, 6-2, 200 pounds. "I like to get on base, try to steal some bags, and use my legs as a weapon. I like to get on base to let the guys behind me drive me in."

When his father worked in the minors for the Mets, Brantley would hang around the big-league locker room in spring training. His favorite player was Rickey Henderson, just elected to the Hall of Fame as the greatest leadoff hitter of all time.

"I was 10 or 11," said Brantley. "I just wanted to hear what he said. I was the shy kid who didn't say much. Those are the kind of guys I listed to. It was a great asset."

Brantley, who was born in Seattle but lives in Port St. Lucie, Fla., trains with his father every off-season and talks to him almost every day during the season.

"We're worked on my swing to get it where I can continue to move forward and have success," said Brantley. "Any question that comes up I have someone to go to. I'm fortunate enough that it's my father."

http://www.cleveland.com/tribe/index.ssf/2...ncertainty.html

Beanpot

Also, Pluto wondered aloud about Adam Miller:

But if Adam Miller stays healthy . . .

Now that's the perfect way to begin a baseball story on a wintry January day when the temperature was supposed to drop to 4 degrees. It's fun to think about, Miller coming out of the Tribe bullpen with his 98 mph fastball and a sizzling sinker that shatters bats and keeps the infielders healthy. It's enticing to imagine how the Indians could go from a good to a great bullpen.

Yes, the Tribe could have its own Kerry Wood, a powerful right-hander who had trouble staying sound as a starter with the Cubs but switched to the bullpen and has become the Indians' new closer. I confess to being a sucker for a story like this, Miller finally getting past the elbow and finger problems that have frustrated him and the Indians for several years.

Yes, I know Miller has pitched only 100 total innings over the past two seasons. Yes, I know that his right middle finger has been a pain since 2007. Yes, I know he had what he calls "Tommy John-type" reconstructive surgery on it last May. I know he had some elbow trouble in 2005. I know he could be a pitcher who may always have something wrong with him.

But if Adam Miller stays healthy...

Miller broke 100 mph on the radar gun for the first time in 2004. He was 19 years old, pitching for Class A Kinston in the playoffs. That minor-league season, he was 10-6 with a 2.95 ERA with 152 strikeouts in 134 innings in Class A.

In 2006, Miller dominated the Class AA Eastern League with a 15-6 record and a 2.75 ERA at Akron, whiffing 157 in 153 2/3 innings, his fastball regularly in the high 90s, his sinker hard, sharp and nearly as impressive as those lightning-bolt fastballs. In his last 10 starts at Akron in 2006, he was 8-1 with an 0.97 ERA.

In the spring of 2007, he was one of the most exciting pitchers in Winter Haven, but then came the finger.

Next came the surgery, followed by the waiting, the rehabilitation and the decision to move him from being a starter to the bullpen, hoping that a lower pitch count will put less pressure on his arm and finger.

As I talked to Miller in the Tribe clubhouse Tuesday, I thought of how the equipment truck leaves for Arizona in 12 days. I thought of how pitchers and catchers report in 22 days. I thought of how spring training is perfect to watch a pitcher such as Miller, and to not be discouraged because the word if is next to his name.

I thought of how General Manager Mark Shapiro said they are taking "incremental" steps with Miller. He made it through the Fall Instructional League. Then came the Winter Dominican League, where he was shaky in his first two starts, then suddenly, he was sensational.

I thought of how minor-league director Ross Atkins told me: "I saw Adam punch out [strike out] five of six guys in his last game. I saw a 97 mph fastball, an 89 mph sinker. I saw the complete Adam Miller, and we have every reason to believe his finger problems won't reoccur."

In his last three outings (all relief), Miller fanned seven in 6 1/3 scoreless innings. His fastball was in the 95-to-97 mph range.

"I don't care if I'm throwing 100, or 98 or 97, I just want to keep throwing like I am now because I feel really good," Miller said Tuesday.

Having just turned 24 at the end of November, Adam Miller is a reborn phenom, competing for an open spot in the bullpen -- if he stays healthy. And on a cold day like this, why not dream a bit?

http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/blog/index....ys_healthy.html

Beanpot

Archived