THE BROWNS BOARD

Greatest Team of All Time Bracket, Final 8

The Gipper

I thought I would start a new thread with this round. Here are the Third Round matchups with the Final 8 teams pitted:

Game 17:

1989 49ers 14-2

vs

1984 49ers 15-1

It is Joe vs. Joe, but in 1984 Rice had not yet joined. Dwight Clark was the main WR.

And 1989 was Seifert's first year as HC, so it is Walsh vs. Seifert

Game 18:

1972 Dolphins eventually 17-0

vs.

1976 Raiders 16-1

Shula vs. Madden. Stabler vs. Griese. Tatum vs. Warfield. Black and Silver vs. Aqua and Orange.

Game 19:

1985 Bears 18-1

vs.

1962 Packers 14-1

Ditka vs. Lombardi. Starr vs. McMahon. Taylor vs. Payton. Nitschke vs. Singletary.

Game 20:

1950 Browns 11-2

vs.

1948 Browns 15-0

Pretty much the same squad lines up against itself,including PB at coach. All the offensive playmakers are the same:

Graham, Motley, Speedie, Lavelli, Dub Jones, Groza

I thought I would start a new thread with this round. Here are the Third Round matchups with the Final 8 teams pitted:

Game 17:

1989 49ers 14-2

vs

1984 49ers 15-1

It is Joe vs. Joe, but in 1984 Rice had not yet joined. Dwight Clark was the main WR.

Game 18:

vs.

1976 Raiders 16-1

Shula vs. Madden. Stabler vs. Griese. Tatum vs. Warfield. Black and Silver vs. Aqua and Orange.

Game 19:

1985 Bears 18-1

vs.

1962 Packers 14-1

Ditka vs. Lombardi. Starr vs. McMahon. Taylor vs. Payton. Nitschke vs. Singletary.

Game 20:

1950 Browns 11-2

vs.

1948 Browns 15-0

Pretty much the same squad lines up against itself,including PB at coach. All the offensive playmakers are the same:

Game 17:

1989 49ers 14-2

vs

1984 49ers 15-1

Game 18:

vs.

1976 Raiders 16-1

Game 19:

1985 Bears 18-1

vs.

1962 Packers 14-1

Ditka vs. Lombardi. Lombardi v Ditka is the huge avantage for the Packers. Obviously the athletes would have been better in 85, but the coach and team concept of the Packers would carry the day.

Game 20:

1950 Browns- 11-2

vs.

1948 Browns 15-0

Graham, Motley, Speedie, Lavelli, Dub Jones, Groza competition better in the NFL

My Choices

Game 17:

1989 49ers 14-2

vs

1984 49ers 15-1 Such a very slight edge, but they handled the best Marino team.

Game 18:

1972 Dolphins eventually 17-0, very close. Slight edge due to Dolphins run game.

vs.

1976 Raiders 16-1

Game 19:

1985 Bears 18-1, not as big an edge for Bears as one might think....though their dominance is enough to give them the nod.

vs.

1962 Packers 14-1

Game 20:

1950 Browns 11-2

vs.

1948 Browns 15-0 Cannot beat Undefeated. (and I disagree slightly that the NFL competition was much, if at all better than AAFC competition)

Semifinal Matchups:

Game 21

1984 49ers

vs

1985 Bears

Ditka vs. Walsh, Montana vs McMahon, Payton vs. Roger Craig.

Bears score 28.5 ppg vs. giving up 12.4

49ers score 29.7 vs. giving up 14.2

Game 22:

1950 Browns

vs.

1972 Dolphins

Almost mirror image game. Mentor vs. Student (Paul Brown vs. Don Shula), Otto Graham vs. Bob Griese,

Marion Motley and Dub Jones vs. Csonka and Kiick, Warfield vs. Lavelli and Speedie.

No name defense vs. Big Name defense (Ford, Willis)

Dolphins score 27.5 ppg vs. giving up 12.2

Browns score 25.8 vs. giving up 12.0.

Head to head matchups for 1950 Browns vs. 1972 Dolphins:

Offense:

QB: Otto Graham vs. Earl Morrall/Bob Griese

FB: Marion Motley vs. Larry Csonka

HB: Dub Jones vs. Jim Kiick/Mercury Morris

TE/HB: Rex Baumgardner vs. Marv Fleming

LT: Lou Groza vs. Doug Crusan

LG: Weldon Hummel vs. Bob Keuchenberg

OC: Frank Gatski vs. Jim Langer

RG: Lin Houston vs. Larry Little

RT: Lou Rymkus vs. Norm Evans

Defense:

LDE: George Young vs. Vern Den Herder

LDT: John Kissel vs. Manny Fernandez

RDT: Bill Willis vs. Bob Heinz

RDE: Len Ford vs. Bill Stanfill

LLB: Alex Agase vs. Doug Swift

MLB: Tommy Thompson vs. Nick Buonticonti

RLB: Tony Adamle vs. Mike Kolen

DB: Ken Carpenter vs. Tim Fole

DB: Tommy James vs. Curtis

DB: Ken Gogal vs. Jack Scott

DB: Warren Lahr vs. Dick Anderson

Coach: Paul Brown vs. Don Shula

Note: Italics means member of Hall of Fame

Semifinal Matchups:

Game 21

1984 49ers

vs

1985 Bears

In addition to Craig, Wendell Tyler was running all over everything and had over 1,200 yards and over 5.0 per carry. and that niner team had a great defense, I think they were more balanced than the Bears. Payton was past his prime, the bears offense scored 28.5 because their sensation defense kept getting them the ball. The 84 niners beat the 84 Bears 23-0 in the NFC Championship. I just think that 84 Niners team was the greatest one-year team I ever saw, followed closely by the 85 bears and the 91 Redskins. When in doubt, look to the quarterback ... who do you want in a close contest, Montana or McMahon? 49ers 20-19.

Game 22:

1950 Browns

vs.

1972 Dolphins

Almost mirror image game. Mentor vs. Student (Paul Brown vs. Don Shula), Otto Graham vs. Bob Griese,

Marion Motley and Dub Jones vs. Csonka and Kiick, Warfield vs. Lavelli and Speedie.

I love my Brownies and they were probably the better team ... but I can't vote against undefeated. It is going to take another undefeated, untied team to knock the Dolphins off their perch as the greatest team, IMO. Simply, no one has proven they can beat them. There is no formula for them losing a football game.

Dolphins 14-Browns 13 as a sniper shoots Lou Groza in the leg while kicking the extra point forcing him to kick it into the crossbar, and it looks like it will still go in, but a second sniper shoots the ball back into the field of play, and since both teams played in an era of no instant replay, the missed extra point stands.

1984 49ers vs. 1985 Bears:

Offense

QB: Joe Montana vs. Jim McMahon

RB: Wendell Tyler vs. Walter Payton

FB: Roger Craig vs. Matt Suhey

WR: Dwight Clark vs. Willie Gault

WR. Freddie Soloman vs. Dennis McKinnon

TE: Earl Cooper vs. Emery Moorehead

LT: Bubba Paris vs. Jimbo Covert

LG: John Ayers vs. Mark Bortz

OC: Fred Quillan vs. Jay Hilgenberg

RG: Randy Cross vs. Tom Thayer

RT: Keith Fahnhorst vs. Keith Van Horne

Defense:

LdeDE: Jim Stuckey vs. Dan Hampton

NT/DT: Manu Tuiasosopo vs. Steve McMichael

DT: ...........................vs. William Perry

RDE: Dwaine Board vs. Richard Dent

LOLB: Dan Bunz vs. Otis Wilson

LILB/MLB: Riki Ellison vs...................

RILB/MLB: Jack Reynolds vs. Mike Singletary

ROLB: Keena Turner vs. Wilber Marshall

LCB: Ronnie Lott vs. Mike Richardson

RCB: Eric Wright vs. Leslie Frazier

SS: Carlton Williamson vs. Dave Duerson

FS: Dwight Hicks vs. Gary Fencik

K: Ray Wersching vs. Kevin Butler

P: Max Runager vs. Maury Buford

PR: Dana McLemore vs. Ken Taylor

KR: Carl Monroe vs. Willie Gault

Coach: Mike Ditka (as player) vs. Bill Walsh

Semifinal Matchups:

Game 21

1984 49ers

vs

1985 Bears

In addition to Craig, Wendell Tyler was running all over everything and had over 1,200 yards and over 5.0 per carry. and that niner team had a great defense, I think they were more balanced than the Bears. Payton was past his prime, the bears offense scored 28.5 because their sensation defense kept getting them the ball. The 84 niners beat the 84 Bears 23-0 in the NFC Championship. I just think that 84 Niners team was the greatest one-year team I ever saw, followed closely by the 85 bears and the 91 Redskins. When in doubt, look to the quarterback ... who do you want in a close contest, Montana or McMahon? 49ers 20-19.

My vote: Odd that. I agree with you. I agree, look at the QB. And Montana gets that vote every time. The only kicker is that great Bears defense. But, I have to agree again.....and say "whose offense is more likely to get shut down by the opponents defense" And can see the Bears offense being held in check by the 49ers more than I do see the 49ers offense being held in check by the Bears. So, I say it is a 13-10 49ers win.

Game 22:

1950 Browns

vs.

1972 Dolphins

I love my Brownies and they were probably the better team ... but I can't vote against undefeated. It is going to take another undefeated, untied team to knock the Dolphins off their perch as the greatest team, IMO. Simply, no one has proven they can beat them. There is no formula for them losing a football game.

Dolphins 14-Browns 13 as a sniper shoots Lou Groza in the leg while kicking the extra point forcing him to kick it into the crossbar, and it looks like it will still go in, but a second sniper shoots the ball back into the field of play, and since both teams played in an era of no instant replay, the missed extra point stands.

For some of the same reasons that is why I vote for the Browns. Sure, the Dolphins were unbeaten....but I don't think by any means they were unbeatable. The 1972 Browns almost got their number. I thought the 2007 Pats were more unbeatable, and they got beat. Otherwise, offensively they really are mirror images. Motley/Csonka are a wash. Dub Jones could be said to be the white Mercury Morris. The Browns offensive line might have been a scoche better...not much. And I think both defenses are solid.

But...hell, the Browns kicker IS a Hall of Famer.....and Yepremiam ain't. It is Lou who gets the kicks in.. and it is the Browns defense that does to Yepremiam what the Redskins defense did....except this time, it counts as the difference in the game.

Browns 23-20.

Again, look at the QB: Griese is a Hall of Famer...and perhap a baby Otto Graham....but OG is the greatest winner there ever was. (And I think if you look at the records, probably the better passer).

Semifinal Matchups:

Game 21

1984 49ers

vs

1985 Bears

Edge to Walsh over Ditka, Montana over McMahon

Game 22:

1950 Browns

vs.

1972 Dolphins

Brown over Shula in the coaching dept. Close game, but the Browns are more talented over all.

Final tally on this:

The 1950 Cleveland Browns are the Greatest Team of all time!!!

This, of course was just subjective voting by a few participants.

Recall that I did this entire tournament using a computer program.

It came out with the 1999 St. Louis Rams being the best, defeating the 1948 Browns in the Championship Game.

Archived