THE BROWNS BOARD

Doctors say Barkevious Mingo's injury could have been fatal

utzie

Ray Frager, FOXSports.comBarkevious Mingo was back at Cleveland Browns practice on Saturday, watching from the sideline. Hes a lucky young man.Yes, the rookie linebacker and first-round draft pick probably will miss the rest of the preseason with a bruised lung. But consider this: He could have been killed by one more hit in Thursdays game against the Detroit Lions.Thats not hyperbole. Thats a medical opinion.After Mingo had suffered the bruised lung, another shot to his chest could have proved fatal, Dr. Clark Fuller, director of thoracic surgery at Saint Johns Health Center in Santa Monica, Calif., toldThe Plain Dealer.Fuller didnt treat Mingo, but he said: The chest cavity is an area where you could bleed to death and nobody ever sees a drop of blood on the ground.In actuality, there was blood on the ground. Mingo said he was spitting up blood after coming out of the game. It started after he was in with the kickoff coverage team and continued for four to five more special teams plays in the first half.I ran down after the [opening kickoff], and I didnt feel right, he said. I kept going back out, and it was harder and harder to catch my breath. I went to my coach and he thought itd be a good idea to go to the trainer with it. They did a great job pulling me out, and recognizing the symptoms and treating me.Mingo spent two nights in a hospital but is expected to be fine with rest and time to heal.Then maybe he can get back to doing the sort of things he did in college:

Yup... and there was one other bruised lung in Week 2.

Mingo needs to get thicker. Another 10 to 20 lbs on that upper body ought to do it.

Seems to me the PD's readers would be better served reading a quote from the Dr who actually treated Mingo or one of the world class thoracic surgeons from the Cleveland Clinic, Who cares what Dr Clark from California thinks?

I stated a couple weeks ago that Mingo looked lean. A 10-20 pound weight gain couldn't hurt.

Poor Mingo. Maybe he shouldn't be playing fucking football if he is so fragile.

so you think he a pussy or what? He never said anything I heard that would make me believe that. No one is immune to injuries in such a violent sport. Could he use a little bulking up? Maybe, but fragile I think is a little much

Seems to me the PD's readers would be better served reading a quote from the Dr who actually treated Mingo or one of the world class thoracic surgeons from the Cleveland Clinic, Who cares what Dr Clark from California thinks?

I stated a couple weeks ago that Mingo looked lean. A 10-20 pound weight gain couldn't hurt.

Right- the guy didn't treat Mingo. "Bruised lung" in medacalese is way too vague. If you mean hemothorax, yes people can die from them.

i mean aren't players afforded the best equipment possible?

when are they going to come out with the kevlar upper body vest?

QBs wear the flak jackets. why not other players?

He's fer sure going to be in the hurt locker for awhile. A rib/lung injury is fairly high up on the pain meter and it is not like you can stop breathing so the damn thing can heal. I'd say the pain is equivalent to getting kicked in the nutz or dislodging a jammed ice cube in the blender without turning it off or unplugging.

He's getting the good stuff in the hospital, i.e. fentanyl, dilaudid

60 push ups

90 sit ups

Archived