THE BROWNS BOARD

ESPN Cleveland fires 3 radio guys today

Browns149

http://www.cleveland.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/08/local_sports_talk_radio_statio.html

they fired squeeler honk Kenny Rhoda, Browns beat reporter WIll Burge, and Indians beat reporter TJ Zuppe. This station is 850 AM and is the Official AM home for Browns football in Cleveland.

It is also available to hear on the ESPN radio app for smartphones. For free

Are they just "cutting back", or did these guys do something.....including possess the wrong pigmentation. (Believe it or not, I think that sort of thing is happening.)

That station got the Browns radio network this season. So having Kenny Rhoda, who is an admitted stooler fan, wasn't going to last. The Browns reporter, Will Burge, had to go when the station hired Tony Grossi, who has been covering the Browns since the early 80's.

That station got the Browns radio network this season. So having Kenny Rhoda, who is an admitted stooler fan, wasn't going to last. The Browns reporter, Will Burge, had to go when the station hired Tony Grossi, who has been covering the Browns since the early 80's.

I don't think Roda being a Steeler fan has anything to do with it. Roda is a talk show host, and creating foment is usually a good thing for that medium. Besides, despite being an avowed Steeler fan, Roda was not obnoxious about it....as most Steeler fans are.

I don't think that being a KNR radio host is Roda's main occupation. A few years back his gig was cut way back...and that may have been at his request. So maybe they just thought he was superfluous with all the other people they had recently brought on board.

I mean, with some of their shows they have like 3-4 on air personalities. I just think they had gotten a bit overbloated (and yes, I think they went on a minority hiring binge....and they weren't going to let any of those new hirees go...for obvious reasons)

Yes, he's a talk show host. But he WAS a talk show host on the Official Browns channel. Do you think a Browns fan would be tolerated on the stoolers radio network?

LOL took them this long to get rid of Kenny Rhodent...Ok Im being a little harsh..I thought KR was decent at times but at other times annoying...But that said...It's unfortunate when people lose theyre jobs...Turnover is part of the business..And I agree with what Z said...If they were getting good ratings then obviously they would be kept on air unless they said something controversial.

With radio's market share shrinking like the Louisiana wet lands, only the best are going to survive.

what i wouldn't do to hear cleveland radio.

NYC one of the biggest marketplaces in the world for media and they have the absolute worse radio stations. god bless sirrius satellite radio.

NYC one of the biggest marketplaces in the world for media and they have the absolute worse radio stations. god bless sirrius satellite radio.

Amen! I never thought I would actually pay for radio until my oldest son got Sirius as a present several years ago and all was changed....LOVE Sirius!

What depresses me with KNR getting the Browns games- the station has lousy range, on the drive south it usually craps out around Akron. WMMS usually has at least 40 miles better range- I like listening to the post game on the ride home. Not to mention MMS had better guys (Pagel & company) doing the pre and post game. Are they still on another station?

& since I rarely listen to the radio in the car, I'm not about to shell out for Sirius.

What depresses me with KNR getting the Browns games- the station has lousy range, on the drive south it usually craps out around Akron. WMMS usually has at least 40 miles better range- I like listening to the post game on the ride home. Not to mention MMS had better guys (Pagel & company) doing the pre and post game. Are they still on another station?

& since I rarely listen to the radio in the car, I'm not about to shell out for Sirius.

if you have internet on your phone...you could stream internet radio through your car audio system...depending on what you drive.

Hammer who hates everything about ohio & cleveland keeps his job cuz he's RIzzos pet!!!

he keeps his job because his daddy is friends with the station owners

I have no trouble hearing it in Toledo

Wknr's signal is 50,000 watts directional (during the day, at night it powers down to 5,000 watts) which usually is pretty powerful but the direction is usually the one you are travelling away from. For example Wtam is 50,000 watts clear channel all of the time that is why you can hear 1100 as they say in 38 states and half of Canada especially after sunset.

They Browns will also be on 92.3 the fan and WNCX 98.5 fm

Here is a listing of radio stations from around the state of Ohio

Akron WAKR 1590 AM

Akron WONE 97.5 FM

Ashtabula WFUN 970 AM

Bucyrus WQEL 92.7 FM

Canton WHBC 1480 AM

Canton WHBC-FM 94.1 FM

Celina WKKI 94.3 FM

Cleveland WKNR 850 AM*

Cleveland WKRK 92.3 FM*

Cleveland WNCX 98.5 FM*

Columbus WZOH 95.5 FM

Dover WJER 1450 AM

Findlay WFIN 1330 AM

Fostoria WFOB 1430 AM

Kenton WKTN 95.3 FM

Lima WWSR 93.1 FM

Mansfield WRGM 1440 AM

Mansfield WVNO 106.1 FM

Marietta WJAW 100.9 FM

Sandusky WMJK 94.3 FM

Toledo WPFX 107.7 FM

Uhrichsville WBTC 1540 AM

Wheeling (W.Va..) WKKX 1600 AM

Wooster WQKT 104.5 FM

Youngstown WBBW 1240 AM

Youngstown WYFM 102.9 FM

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/media-center/on-the-air.html

Forget paying for it. Geez. Try iheartradio or radio.com apps for your smartphone or tablet pc. Free and actual Cleveland radio stations make an appearance (everywhere else's radio stations too)

Roda is gone? YAY !!!!!

I can start listening to WKNR again ! He was so annoying, and

had to try way, way too hard to have something intelligent to say....

Forget paying for it. Geez. Try iheartradio or radio.com apps for your smartphone or tablet pc. Free and actual Cleveland radio stations make an appearance (everywhere else's radio stations too)

i don't pay for it. it came as a package with the new car.

i know all about streaming radio and it sucks ass. depending on the connect. you know how many times i've listened to the browns game over the internet only to watch the little 'buffering' time wheel spin delaying live action?

Are you out of your fucking liberal mind? Idiot!

Ghoolie, if you don't think that race may not be a component in the hiring/firing of these on air personnell...both radio and TV, then you are seriously out of touch.

Primordialy, the jockocracy rules. But within that there is no doubt in my mind a hiring quota.

Roda was one of the only few guys I liked. Especially during NBA season. I am VERY SAD to see him let go. He spoke fast, witty and intelligible unlike that slow dim witted Michael Reghi.

I like Reghi sometimes....but usually everything he says is done with an air of pomposity.

someone in this thread said Roda may have voluntarily been axed bc he is working on other projects. What projects are those, does anyone know?

I said it, but no, I don't really have a clue. It is just speculation. I just know that a lot of guys who only spend say 2-3 hours on the air have other jobs.

And sometimes those jobs include working as account salesmen for the same radio station. A guy may spend 3 hours a day on air, but the other 5 hours doing ad sales.

I said it, but no, I don't really have a clue. It is just speculation. I just know that a lot of guys who only spend say 2-3 hours on the air have other jobs.

And sometimes those jobs include working as account salesmen for the same radio station. A guy may spend 3 hours a day on air, but the other 5 hours doing ad sales.

We have a family friend who is the radio voice of the Lake County Captains (Indians Farm Team). He also is a team accountant and fullfills another role in some capacity...and is also an insurance broker...

Ghoolie, if you don't think that race may not be a component in the hiring/firing of these on air personnell...both radio and TV, then you are seriously out of touch.

Primordialy, the jockocracy rules. But within that there is no doubt in my mind a hiring quota.

all you have to do is turn on ESPN to see this in full effect..

i don't pay for it. it came as a package with the new car.

i know all about streaming radio and it sucks ass. depending on the connect. you know how many times i've listened to the browns game over the internet only to watch the little 'buffering' time wheel spin delaying live action?

doing_it_wrong_bike.jpg

Archived