THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns of the 50's

Larry0791

Would like to know how many "old" folks out there like me who go back to the glory days of Grahan, Groza and the group that made us fans feel like they were family. I'm 67 and can, believe it or not, remember the 1950 season. My father played HS football with Bill Lund, one of the original Browns in 1946 and mom was close with Dante Lavellis sister. So, all I heard about (and loved) as a kid was the Browns. We didn't have a pot in those days but Sunday was reserved for the old Philco radio and the Browns.....anyone else out there?

I go back to the early 70's following the browns...but boy My old man sure taught Me the history...I miss those days...

Welcome Larry, it is great to hear from the fans that go back to the glory days.

I was born in our last championship year of 1964, just in time to get my heart ripped out repeatedly in the 70's and 80's.

But I'll take that over those born circa 1984 and later and who have never experienced a true winning team.

Let's hope we all celebrate the Big One soon.

Zombo

Would like to know how many "old" folks out there like me who go back to the glory days of Grahan, Groza and the group that made us fans feel like they were family. I'm 67 and can, believe it or not, remember the 1950 season. My father played HS football with Bill Lund, one of the original Browns in 1946 and mom was close with Dante Lavellis sister. So, all I heard about (and loved) as a kid was the Browns. We didn't have a pot in those days but Sunday was reserved for the old Philco radio and the Browns.....anyone else out there?

I do not personally remember the 50s teams, My first memory, though very vague was when I was hearing some hullaballoo about a coach getting fired. (PB). The first season I remember was 1963, and I fully remember the 1964 title season.

But, of course, we had to listen to that game vs. the Colts on radio. We had to wait until the next Monday Night to see it on TV.

I believe that it got such a great viewership that that game may have been the genesis for "Monday Night Football".

My earliest memory was listening to the Browns/Colts NFL championship game on the radio while my dad was drinking long neck Strohs in his wife beater.

My earliest memory was listening to the Browns/Colts NFL championship game on the radio while my dad was drinking long neck Strohs in his wife beater.

OMG...not to get off topic but man do I miss Stroh's beer..it was real beer. It wasnt like the instant /formaldahyde crap they sell now..Me and My old man used to drink it all the time..it was real fire brewed beer...and if you drank it...your ass paid for it the next morning..LOL

OMG...not to get off topic but man do I miss Stroh's beer..it was real beer. It wasnt like the instant /formaldahyde crap they sell now..Me and My old man used to drink it all the time..it was real fire brewed beer...and if you drank it...your ass paid for it the next morning..LOL

Stroh's was piss. Or the next best thing.

Stroh's was piss. Or the next best thing.

Thats your opinion...it sure as hell beats piss water like bud light and coors light...wich tastes absolutely awful.

Bud is piss, as is Bud Light, and Coors lite....and Stroh's.

Now, Black Label....that was better.

Black Label was so-so...

I am sure it was. Every American national brand beer really was/is.

Im more of a Canadian beer drinker these days I.E. LaBatts and Molson Canadian...American beer sucks.

So sad that a 57yr. old Pittsburgh fan in his lifetime has experienced 12 championships Pittsburgh pro sports teams brought to their city, while a 57yr. old Cleveland fan has witnessed 0 ..unless at the age of 8 he remembers 1964.

A 57yr. old not knowing what it feels like to experience a championship, wow.

Cleveland has to be the worst 3 sport city in the U.S.

So sad that a 57yr. old Pittsburgh fan in his lifetime has experienced 12 championships Pittsburgh pro sports teams brought to their city, while a 57yr. old Cleveland fan has witnessed 0 ..unless at the age of 8 he remembers 1964.

A 57yr. old not knowing what it feels like to experience a championship, wow.

Cleveland has to be the worst 3 sport city in the U.S.

Yes. You are a lucky dumbass. That is all there is to it.

And actually, that probably makes us one of the 3 BEST sports cities.....in terms of the dedication of the fans. A city with -0- titles is every bit as avid...or more so than a city with 12.

Plus we certainly do not have the FRAKs that you have.

Also, I was 12 and do remember 1964.

(I assume you included the Pipers ABA title?)

I do remember the 64 championship game, but did not really pay much attention to it. My parents, and a few friends got together to listen to it. 66 was the 1st year I really got into the Browns.

For the 2nd topic, I remember most of my friends fathers drank Strohs, but after I tasted it as a kid, I never tried it again. Sam Adams Lager is my beverage of choice.

OK, but, I don't know of any British beers that anyone would choose either. Irish beers, German beers, yes.

Hell, I can't even think of a British beer.

That's the annoying part, we have such great beer, but you can't find it anywhere else. Irish beers are essentially the same as British beers, just that Guinness is world famous.

OK, but, I don't know of any British beers that anyone would choose either. Irish beers, German beers, yes.

Hell, I can't even think of a British beer.

Im a fan of Stella Artois...they call it "wife beater" in the UK LOL...none the less...good beer.

Im a fan of Stella Artois...they call it "wife beater" in the UK LOL...none the less...good beer.

Ha, not one I'd go for! Yes, 'wife beater' - because you have a few pints of it then go home and smack your wife about a bit presumably. 'Pint of wifey please mate.' Btw, it's Belgian.

Ha, not one I'd go for! Yes, 'wife beater' - because you have a few pints of it then go home and smack your wife about a bit presumably. 'Pint of wifey please mate.' Btw, it's Belgian.

I was not privy of where it was from..I just knew it was big in the UK...I have friends in and around Warrington and Manchester that told Me about it before it was distributed in the U.S..

I was not privy of where it was from..I just knew it was big in the UK...I have friends in and around Warrington and Manchester that told Me about it before it was distributed in the U.S..

It's fairly ubiquitous over here, and I bet there are quite a few brits who don't know where it's from!

It's fairly ubiquitous over here, and I bet there are quite a few brits who don't know where it's from!

All good mate...It all makes for interesting convo...I dont spend My time like some getting all pissed up all the time LOL..Due to medical reasons and alcohol does not agree with My stomach much. but an occasional beer or two never hurt anyone. :)

I guess, because of the name, I kinda thought that was a French beer...or German. Or Dutch. You sure it is not Dutch?

OK, I see you say it is Belgian. I thought it was one of those.

Thanks to everyone who responded about the Browns. This wasn'y opened for discussion to talk about beer.

Excuse Me Mr.Newbie!...but beer is a part of celebrating football..your new here...So I suggest to you to keep quiet awhile and learn about what goes on here..you dont own this thread...the Mods do..If they want.they can choose to move this thread to another area of the site...now sit down..shut up and crack open a cold one...and by the way...welcome to the browns Board...Enjoy!

Archived