THE BROWNS BOARD

Bowling and Tennis

Zombo

I turned on the TV while having lunch and that's what I got ... bowling and tennis on ESPN and ESPN2.

It's going to be a long, long six months until training camp.

I hope the Cavs make a championship run and I hope pitchers and catchers report soon.

Hopefully that'll be enough to maintain my sports jones.

Zombo

--then again, there's sports ... and then there's football.

I like tennis!

Well, I like women's tennis. The men's game is like ping-pong...all power. Women use strategy and finesse, except for those Williams sisters...I think one of them could make for a good SILB...

-Al

HEY! Don't knock bowling! :P

(it's the only sport I actually participate in! LOL!)

Oh, I like bowling myself, and I like playing tennis as well ... but I can't bring myself to watch either on TV.

Unless it's two chicks playing tennis and they are both hot ... maybe.

Back in the day, I enjoyed McEnroe, Conners and Borg ... but now I can't sit through a men's match if you paid me.

Zombo

--February is the dead zone in american sports ... I think that's when they used to run "Superstars"

:lol:

There're no studs to watch in that game so it has no interest for me! But the guys should like it!

That is pretty good, but I prefer women's platform and springboard diving.

Tell me about it. I was at the gym and bowling was on the TVs. I think it adversely affected my workout. I'm with you on the Volleyball, Shep. I loved watching the Olympics. Definitely better than bowling. Any sport where you can get wasted while playing, albeit fun, is not worth being televised. Unless they had to chug a beer per frame...that might make it a little more interesting.

From August thru January football is my main focus. February thru July I indulge heavily in my other hobbies: Music, Reading, Writing (yeah I write, someday you'll see my bestseller at Borders), Movies, Video Games, actually going outside.

I love the Tribe and the Cavs but I've never been able to muster a tenth of the passion for them as I have for the Browns. I'll be thrilled if the Cavs win it all this year, but no way is that gonna hit the spot the way a Browns Championship would.

Doug

I decided to start following hockey again this year, I'd recommend it to anyone looking for another sports fix. It was pretty unwatchable in the early 2000s, then the lockout happened and it went a little crazy with all the gimmicks. Now it seems to be back close to the quality of the 80s and 90s. Especially anyone in the Columbus area, the Blue Jackets have been great to watch.

Pretty sad sports night tonight though, I'll be watching the Royal Rumble with my brother and his kids.

Eh, still beats bowling and tennis.

Explain to me how bowling is a televised sport... and volleyball isn't. The latter is insanely intense and exciting with terrific athletes... the former has the last of the mustaches and bad pants.

Somebody needs to start a pro volleyball league. Most fun would be mixed. Seriously.

Here's my explanation....millions of bowlers across the country, many of whom participate in leagues & tournaments. Granted, not as many people bowl today as in the 80's & earlier, but it is the #1 participation sport in the USA. The Pro Bowlers Tour was the longest running sports series on TV (when on ABC, Saturdays).

Times have changed, and less people are bowling, but to bowlers like me, it's great to see it on TV. Too bad these guys are still bowling for 1970-ish prize money, just not enough sponsors.

HEY! Don't knock bowling! :P

(it's the only sport I actually participate in! LOL!)

Now tennis...who the hell plays tennis in January!?!?!?! ;)

Hey, it's the Australian Open, and it's summer down there. :) Golf has it's "Grand Slam" and this tennis tournament is one of the 4 biggies. At the top level, you have to play and train about year round to stay there- with maybe a couple of weeks layoff in between. FWIW, I used to play competitive tennis for many years, but I have trouble watching it on TV. Also, the level of athleticism of the top players has increased tremendously over the last 10 years. Guys used to take up tennis because they weren't good enough to play football, but I'd bet Andre Agasse could have played in the NFL if he had had a mind to.

Now tennis...who the hell plays tennis in January!?!?!?! ;)

As coincidence would have it, I was playing tennis as Zombo typed his post.

Also coincidentally, the only reason I was playing tennis instead of watching the Syracuse-Louisville game was because ESPN aired tennis and bowling instead of said SU-UL game.

Archived