THE BROWNS BOARD

Cavs looking for another point guard?

DTBH

http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/20...rst_answ_8.html

Hey, Brian: The Grizzlies want to trade Mike Conley, Jr. Without Delonte West, the Cavs need another point guard. Can they get him? -- Hank Jacobsen, Green

Hey, Hank: The Cavs are in the market for another point guard, as Daniel Gibson has not proven to be an effective there. But Conley is undersized and doesn't shoot well, both strikes against him.

Windhorst always seems pretty in tune with the Cavs. I don't disagree with this either. If they can't get Camby, moving Szcerb should still be a priority and they can get a back-up point guard for him along with clearing some space. Boobie is far from a point guard. He belongs playing shooting guard regardless of his size. That will leave us with a very effective three man rotation at the 2 (Red, Boobie, and Sasha.) Sasha can play some 3 when need be. And we need somebody to run things/penetrate when Mo Wiliams isn't in there, because LeBron is still shouldering way too much of that.

I'd still keep a back-up point guard in that mix. Delonte isn't a point guard by nature, and he's even said he's way more comfortable playing shooting guard. That's what he did in college and it's where he belongs. Granted, both Delonte and Boobie CAN do it while sharing the responsibility with LeBron when Mo is sitting, but I'm not sure they should. I think Ferry knows it doesn't really work.

It's just a question of where they want their extra depth to be. Once West and Z get back, I'd say back-up point guard would be the right place. They definately aren't hurting at the 4/5 or the 2 when healthy. A backup point-guard or a backup 3 would probably the need if you had to pin-point something.

Mike Miller and Ryan Gomes/Craig Smith.....or Hakim Warrick and Kyle Lowry (and Darko or Antoine Walker to match salaries) are my preferred trades. Miller would be great for our bench (former 6th man of the year), Gomes/Smith and Warrick can defend in the front court and score, and Lowry is a lot like West. Potentially great role player on a bad team. He can play some point (4 apg), is a good defender and can get to the line (while making 82%).

It's pretty much impossible to predict what depth players we'll trade for, but getting a decent package of back and frontcourt players while staying way under the cap for 2010 has to be the priority.

Archived