sadbrownsfan

Police: 'Sovereign citizens' planned to execute Las Vegas cops

By Ed Payne, CNN
updated 4:23 AM EDT, Fri August 23, 2013
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • The FBI considers "sovereign citizens" a "domestic terrorist movement"
  • The movement does not recognize the authority of the governments
  • The two suspects were arrested after a four-month string operation
  • Additional arrests and charges are possible in the ongoing investigation, police say

(CNN) -- An undercover police operation stopped a plot by members of an anti-government movement to kidnap and execute police officers, Las Vegas police said Thursday.

Following a four-month investigation, police arrested roommates David Allen Brutsche, 42, and Devon Campbell Newman, 67.

130823041635-david-allan-brutsche-story-
David Allan Brutsche, 42

"As the investigation progressed, we became aware that these two individuals were extremists in their beliefs and were actively plotting to kidnap and kill at least one southern Nevada police officer," said Lt. Jim Seebock with the department's counterterrorism Section.

130823041805-devon-campbell-newman-story
Devon Campbell Newman, 67

Their plan did not single out a particular officer or law enforcment agency, but was to be a "target of opportunity," Seebock said.

"The suspects further believed once the first kidnapping and execution was accomplished, they would be compelled to keep repeating their actions -- kidnapping and killing multiple officers," he said.

During a sting operation, police said both Brutsche and Newman espoused the views of the sovereign citizens movement, which the FBI characterizes as "a growing domestic threat to law enforcement" and considers it "a domestic terrorist movement."

The movement does not recognize the authority of federal, state or local governments.

FBI: 'Sovereign citizens' fraudulently taking over foreclosed homes

"Sovereign Citizen is an ideology which in and of itself is fine," Seebock said. "It's when they profess that ideology in conjunction with criminal acts in violation of laws or to further their criminal acts (that) they come on our radar."

Authorities have charged the pair with conspiracy to commit murder, conspiracy to commit kidnapping and attempted first degree kidnapping with use of a weapon.

Police say additional arrests and charges are possible in the ongoing investigation.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/23/us/las-vegas-police-kidnapping-plot/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

One of the recent ones you posted is looking to be gang related, the other one just happened and motive is unkown at this time.

Why would you think those are "Hate Crimes"?

This atleast has some political(mind my sarcastic title) value a internal terror groups members where arrested plotting to kidnap and kill cops.

By that definition any crime would be a hate crime, but by the law standards they would need to have specifically targeted him by race, age, sexual orientation, disability or religion. Without even knowing who did it, we can not assume a motive based off of the victim and criminal being different races.

Also before you play the blacks wouldn't be charged with hate crimes:

"Out of those who committed hate crimes nationwide, nearly 60 percent were white while 20 percent were black."

http://thegrio.com/2012/12/17/fbi-hate-crimes-down-nationally-nearly-half-are-racial/

One of the recent ones you posted is looking to be gang related, the other one just happened and motive is unkown at this time.

Why would you think those are "Hate Crimes"?

This atleast has some political(mind my sarcastic title) value a internal terror groups members where arrested plotting to kidnap and kill cops.

You're sad alright... amid the black thugs killing a white baby in Georgia, to the black thugs killiing a white in Oklahoma for fun, to the black thugs killing an old white man...your tryin so hard to find some whiteys behaving badly... lol.

Secondly, you're missing the point...again. There is no outrage, nor cries of racism when a black kills a white, never.

According to Wiki, this group is an anti government anti tax group. They believe they do not fall under the jurisdiction of the Federal Government and are soverign citizens. Not sure of the reasoning behind wanting to kill cops even though they are employess of the government..

I think their cause would be more effective if they kidnap and kill politicians..starting with the democrats.

Nevertheless, they haven't killed anyone.

This group is not at war with a race or ethnicity of a people, and have not killed anybody....so whats your point for starting this thread again???

Oh I remember, to post something about whitey behaving badly.

You're sad alright... amid the black thugs killing a white baby in Georgia, to the black thugs killiing a white in Oklahoma for fun, to the black thugs killing an old white man...your tryin so hard to find some whiteys behaving badly... lol.

Secondly, you're missing the point...again. There is no outrage, nor cries of racism when a black kills a white, never.

According to Wiki, this group is an anti government anti tax group. They believe they do not fall under the jurisdiction of the Federal Government and are soverign citizens. Not sure of the reasoning behind wanting to kill cops even though they are employess of the government..

I think their cause would be more effective if they kidnap and kill politicians..starting with the democrats.

Nevertheless, they haven't killed anyone.

This group is not at war with a race or ethnicity of a people, and have not killed anybody....so whats your point for starting this thread again???

Oh I remember, to post something about whitey behaving badly.

I don't even know where to begin, a homegrown terrorist(according to FBI standards) group plotting to kidnap and kill cops and is anti taxes/government doesn't belong on a political forum? Granted I did take the opportunity to poke fun at how Diehard brings to light every time a black person/hispanic person commits a violent crime in the title.

No outrage? really? Both murders happened in the last couple days, and both have been called senseless and on the front page of many news organizations. And its really not that hard to find whitey behaving badly.

So if two white 16 year olds attacked and beat to death a 90 year old WW2 Black vet, do you think the news would call it a hate crime? Not talking about your legal version.

Don't know what the news would or wouldn't have done, if there was evidence(even if small kind of like the tweet for the oklahoma murder) there would for sure be people talking about a hate crime. But even without any evidence in the current situation there are people talking about it being a hate crime. However in the legal sense it takes a lot more evidence.

So why should it be worse to murder beat or rape someone because you don't like their race than just for the fun of it?

And personally I think murderers rapist and other violent thugs should get prison time equally no matter who they hurt. Also, Sad, that's the toughest example you could find??? At least try to find a murder or something; Cripes....

WSS

So why should it be worse to murder beat or rape someone because you don't like their race than just for the fun of it?

And personally I think murderers rapist and other violent thugs should get prison time equally no matter who they hurt. Also, Sad, that's the toughest example you could find??? At least try to find a murder or something; Cripes....

WSS

Whats really sad is I only put the title as sarcasm and not the actual point of the thread. Oh well.

Archived