THE BROWNS BOARD

Didn't browns play a game tonite? or was it just that bad....

miktoxic

ok here i got the gints and jets games and the ncaa games on espn.

where's the chatter about the browns vs. bears game from all those who watched?

i mean did they suck. was it all 3rd stringers? who impressed and who got hurt?

I'd love to tell you but WHIO figured they could sell more commercial time airing Big Brother, and the local radio outlet has a commitment with the critical Class A Dayton Dragons. If you want to watch it- the NFL Network has it on Sunday Evening.

learned last night that i have the nfl network where they showed some repeats of games played last night. haven't had nfl network all year long and last night miraculously it was there.

i'm thinking it's tease to get me fired up and then make me want to upgrade to another cable package.

Hoyer looked pretty good, had an early miscommunication with Gordon on a route and threw a pick on a timed play.

David Nelson looked healthy from what I saw (I was in an out most of the game, and didn't see the end, saw him pivot an turn on a hitch route and looked ok) but who knows if he will hold up.

Grooves disrupted a couple plays in the backfield, etc.

I was flipping back an forth and working on stuff in the shop, so I didn't really see a ton. But from what I saw not really much to take away from it, as you said it was mostly backups playing for film to get picked up by other teams.

I watched it on the gamepass this morning. Well, half watched, half listened mostly because I'm at work.

Hoyer's first pick was interesting to me. It seemed like the DB jumped the route and Josh Gordon didn't know where he was - he had his hands out in front of him to try to make the catch, the DB came through and there was no attempt from Gordon to make a tackle.

David Nelson kept falling over trying to come out of his breaks - dodgy cleats, dodgy knee, not sure. He was taken out in the second half - make of that what you will for a guy who desperately needs reps to get in to some kind of form.

Tori Gurly had a couple of nice catches that went for decent gains/first downs. More important in light of the above.

The running game struggled. Badly. There was one time (that I can remember) where the RB made a decent gain, Cook getting through the blitz to gain about 7/8 yards.

We went for the 2pc on both touchdowns, and failed both times. The first, we tried running it in, the D got through the O-Line like it was a revolving door and slammed the RB (Cook?) well before the goal line. The second a pass to Josh Cooper was broken up by decent defensive play.

Hoyer took some big hits and came out quite well. Not sure either of the INTs were really his fault, at least exclusively, and he had a few nice passes, and was let down by the WR a few times (mainly Nelson, to be fair). He also looked lively scrambling when he was forced outside the pocket.

Spencer Lanning made a couple of field goals, also missed one from 41 yards. Looks like he could fill in in a pinch. Schmidt had a kickoff that went back to the 1-yard line. unfortunately for him the coverage let the returner get 30 yards on the return.

JMJ returned an INT for a touchdown, about 20 yards. According to Bernie he was in the wrong place to pick it up, it just happened to work out well for him.

Tank Carder dropped a golden chance for an INT. Kent Richardson - may have just been my perspective - but he let a ball drop at his feet on the final drive from the Bears, when we were 2 points up. If he'd caught it that would have been game over, but he made no attempt to even bend down.

I probably missed a couple of things, I'm sure other people will point them out :D

Look at the Box Score. Don't watch the game. I watched about a 1/2 hour and couldn't take it anymore. No starters played for either team except Gordon and Cousins/Gilkey rotating at RG. Not much to watch. You'll know how the game went on Saturday around 6pm when you see who got cut.

Offensively, we seemed to move the Ball pretty well, just had a few turnovers and lots of receivers falling down - the field looked pretty slippery for some reason as I saw a lot of players sliding/slipping.

Defense played okay, but gave up the big gains when the Bears needed them - yeilded several big runs.

I liked what I saw from Hoyer at QB.

First play of the game Hoyer aired out a 45 yarder to Gordon - if it'd had a couple more yards on the throw Gordon would've had an easy 84yd TD, he had to wait up for the ball.

The first INT was really Gordon's fault, he could gone for it and got it or at least knocked it down - he only half heartitly pursued after the INT.

The second INT the DB shielded Nelson (?) pretty well, and Hoyer had a lot of air underneath the Ball from what I could tell.

Some folks though Nelson was injured, but apparently he was have Calf cramps most of the night.

From Grossi (Nelson post game):

http://espncleveland.com/common/more.php?m=49&post_id=21581

“I didn’t play up to my potential,” he said. “We’re a week away from the season. I can’t afford not to make plays. I kept slipping. I left plays out there. When I get 10 balls thrown to me, I want to come down with 10 balls.

Nelson sounds like he could be a player for us, along with Bess, these two could really help our Team.

We could have got the last 2 point attempt if the ball had been thrown to the WR underneath Cooper - he was on the Goal Line and had a couple steps on the DB.

Not really a bad game to watch.

Defense frustrated me a bit, but hey, it was 2nd/3rd stringers.

I pretty much watched the whole thing, as I was interested in the performances of those on the bubble. A few notes:

Hoyer was fairly accurate, but that "zing" that Weeden has on the ball isn't there for Hoyer. He tends to loft his passes a bit. Though his timing is generally good, there were some obvious miscommunications.

The second stringers on the OL held up well in pass protection, but couldn't run block to save their lives. Brandon Jackson had nowhere to run when he was in there. And when Cook and Maysonet were in there it didn't get appreciably better.

David Nelson at first looked like Ricky Nelson. He was very rusty...rumbling, bumbling stumbling....and dropping passes. He improved as the game went on and he and Hoyer found some rhythm.

The backup defensive line looked very good, Sanford/Kitchen/A. Bryant held the Bears run in check reasonably well and got some pressure on the QBs.

However, early on it seemed that the Browns could cover no one. The Bears were like 5 for 5 in one drive on third down because their receivers seemed to be wide open in the flats and seams. Not sure if that was the scheme or the talent.

Bademosi seemed like he was too in love with the roll block tackle, and not with wrapping up the ball carrier.

And at this point Leon McFadden is definitely a Not for Prime Time player. He seemed to always get beat like a redheaded stepchild. It is worrisome.

As for which players may have secured themselves a roster spot. Very difficult to say. They were giving the ball a lot to Cook, and trying to get it to Mike Edwards...but I don't think they greatly helped their cause....unless their cause is to get put on the PS...which is what I expect to happen.

I think JMJ may have been the one guy to help himself. Obviously there was the interception return for TD, but he also was in on many tackles.

The biggest thing may be how to deal with Sanford. He is valuable, but the depth chart may not have a spot for him. Since he is a DL he is not an optimal special teams player, I don't think.

My bad on the Gordon INT play:

"(The 45-yarder) was great and it lasted about two seconds,'' said Hoyer. "Two plays later I threw an interception that was totally on me. I had the play backwards in my head. (Josh Gordon) was supposed to be breaking out and I thought he was breaking in. That's totally on me. And he almost even got in there and got it.

More Hoyer comments on Gordon:

"It's so easy to throw to Josh,'' said Hoyer. "He's such a big target and he's so smooth. I was lucky to be able to get some balls to him. I wish he would've been playing a little more, but when you get a chance to throw to a guy like that, you put it close and let him make the play.''

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2013/08/browns_gamer_bears.html#incart_maj-story-2#incart_m-rpt-2

Look at the Box Score. Don't watch the game. I watched about a 1/2 hour and couldn't take it anymore. No starters played for either team except Gordon and Cousins/Gilkey rotating at RG. Not much to watch. You'll know how the game went on Saturday around 6pm when you see who got cut.

Well, wasn't always this way. This is where the NFL has to step in and do something- and not necessarily cut the preseason to 2 games either. You're asking the season ticket holder to pay full freight for a game where the starters don't even play? Really? Cut tickets to 1\2 price, and load the games that count with the difference- in my case that would be about $4 per game, and they still get the same amount of money.

Well, wasn't always this way. This is where the NFL has to step in and do something- and not necessarily cut the preseason to 2 games either. You're asking the season ticket holder to pay full freight for a game where the starters don't even play? Really? Cut tickets to 1\2 price, and load the games that count with the difference- in my case that would be about $4 per game, and they still get the same amount of money.

For a season ticket holder these team should charge a set price for a seat for the entire season....that would be the equivalent of 9 games at regular season prices. Shouldn't a discount of this sort be offered? Then they can say that one preseason game is free.

Cole #41 played lights out, sure as hell hope he makes the team.
Also Staples and Sanford looked good and can fuckin move to the ball.

McFadden certainly looked up and down, along with Kennah.

Hopefully Armonty Bryant makes the team, he seems like a good pickup for a 7 rounder (or 6?)

And Gordon did look good and fast out there. He is shaping up to be like a shorter but faster AJ Green with the way he can catch the ball so smoothly.

Some thoughts on the final Browns preseason game, the 18-16 victory at Chicago:

1. Brian Hoyer looked like a good backup quarterback, and he supplies real depth at No. 3. He is experienced and doesn't seem to make many poor decisions or panic under pressure. But he's not a big-play guy, so let's not start with this "Maybe Hoyer can start" talk. In the preseason, he completed 66 percent of his passes, with two touchdowns and three interceptions. His rating was 79.2. He's a nice off-season pickup by General Manager Michael Lombardi, but please, he's a backup.

2. Physically, the 6-foot-5, 215-pound David Nelson looks like an NFL wide receiver and he makes an excellent target. In 2011, he caught 61 passes for Buffalo, so he has talent. But the major knee surgery of a year ago wiped out 2012, and he didn't appear ready (or healthy). Ten passes were thrown his way, he caught four. He had at least one drop, and he fell down a few times running patterns. He was limping at times. The Browns can't count on him and may have to cut him.

3. Somewhere, the Browns must find another receiver. They have veteran Davone Bess for the slot. They have Greg Little and Josh Gordon (when not suspended) on the outside. They have Travis Benjamin as a wide receiver. I have a hard time generating any enthusiasm for Josh Cooper, who caught three passes for a grand total of 11 yards. Maybe there will be help from another team when final cuts are made this weekend.

4. Brandon Jackson carried the ball 28 times in the preseason, gaining 43 yards. That's a 1.5 average, and that's poor. He was given a chance to win a backup spot, and I don't think he's earned it. He had twice as many carries as anyone else in an orange helmet in the preseason. Other than Trent Richardson (4.9-yard average) and the injured Dion Lewis (4.5-yard average), no one looked good in the backfield.

5. So add running back to the shopping list with wide receiver when players hit the waiver wire.

6. Yes, Chris Ogbonnaya can do a decent job in the backfield, but he is mostly a fullback. They need another runner.

7. While James-Michael Johnson picked off a pass and ran for a touchdown, I thought linebackers L.J. Fort and Tank Carder looked much better on the inside. Justin Cole batted down two passes at outside linebacker, and he may have earned a spot on the roster -- especially with top pick Barkevious Mingo out with that bruised lung.

8. Brian Sanford is a viable NFL lineman who can be in the rotation on most teams. He looked good Thursday night. Remember, Sanford was in that voided deal to Seattle. He returned to Cleveland and continues to push hard for a roster spot on this team with a very deep defensive line. His reaction to the non-trade is impressive as he refused to let it bother him.

9. Leon McFadden has been very iffy in his two preseason games. The third-rounder missed part of camp and two games with an injury. He is not ready for prime time. Don't write him off, just be aware that cornerback is a very unforgiving position for any rookie. McFadden never came close to pressing for a spot as a starter or nickel back.

10. Armonty Bryant forced a fumble, and seemed to be in the face of the quarterback a few times. The seventh-rounder with the troubled past also has stayed out trouble, which could help him stay on the roster. He is a "project," as defensive coordinator Ray Horton called him. But Bryant does have some natural talent and quickness. Linebacker Justin Staples (St. Edward) also had some good moments on special teams.

http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/index.ssf/2013/08/cleveland_browns_scribbles_aft.html#incart_river

You have to realize that this was the last pre season game, used for the scrubs to figure out who will stay and who will go. Nothing more.

You SHOULD have realised that THIS was one of the last chances fans would get to see a Browns win in 2013-14.

Browns go 3- 13 +/- 1 win. Miami wins the opener, and it's downhill from there. 0 - 8 at the break.

You have to realize that this was the last pre season game, used for the scrubs to figure out who will stay and who will go. Nothing more.

why didnt most of the starters play then? most of them are bums that need alot of practice. Why squander an opportunity to get more experience for a young team for the likes of brian hoyer.

If you want to watch it- the NFL Network has it on Sunday Evening.

yes and i couldn't watch it cuz the old lady's shows were on (secret millionaire, ray donovan etc) so i'm catching some of these other games now that she hit the sack.

one thing i will disagree about with a lot of the posters on here is that these games are not meaningless. sure they suck to watch but i'm watching the rerun of the rams vs. ravens game and what these games DO show is the depth of certain positions on each team.

i tell you what, and i called it earlier that it'll be the browns and bengals fighting for the top of our division. one injury here or there on both the ravens or steelers and they are DONE.

ravens 2nd and 3rd stringers on defense are all overweight and gassed. don't know if they all went to dennys and ordered their grand slam breakfast x3 but kellen clemens with a busted jaw lip teeth just went right down the field and put them into posdition for a field goal. yeah a field goal, but these guys could barely get off the field with their lack of conditioning.

yes and i couldn't watch it cuz the old lady's shows were on (secret millionaire, ray donovan etc) so i'm catching some of these other games now that she hit the sack.

one thing i will disagree about with a lot of the posters on here is that these games are not meaningless. sure they suck to watch but i'm watching the rerun of the rams vs. ravens game and what these games DO show is the depth of certain positions on each team.

i tell you what, and i called it earlier that it'll be the browns and bengals fighting for the top of our division. one injury here or there on both the ravens or steelers and they are DONE.

ravens 2nd and 3rd stringers on defense are all overweight and gassed. don't know if they all went to dennys and ordered their grand slam breakfast x3 but kellen clemens with a busted jaw lip teeth just went right down the field and put them into posdition for a field goal. yeah a field goal, but these guys could barely get off the field with their lack of conditioning.

To start off I want to say that I think the Browns will hold their own this year. If people really think about it, for the last few years they have been on the cusp really, ALOT of close games. One possession could have changed quite a few outcomes. The coaching upgrades will be tremendous + YOUNG potential. With that said I'll get to the point. Mik mentioned above that an injury here or there would hurt the chances of our division rivals, I just wanted to add that the same could be said for us. Any injuries to any of our more talented players could be the start of a train wreck season, just keep in mind. 8-8/9-7 and I'll be flyin high! Go Browns!!

Archived