THE BROWNS BOARD

Leadership Trivia

The Gipper

Here is trivia as a followup to the Leadership topic:

1. Which QB that is currently active and who at some point in time played for or plays for the Browns has the most career completions?

2. Which QB that is currently active and who at some point in time played for or plays for the Browns had the most completions in a game?

3. Which QB that is currently active and who at some point in time played for or plays for the Browns had the most TD throws in a game?

4. Who is the only QB in Browns history to "pitch a perfect game", i.e. have a game rating of 158.3 (which is the highest that can be scored). Note: it has only happened once.

5. Tim Couch was drafted #1 overall in the 1999 draft. Who was the last QB taken in the first round of the regular draft by the Browns before Couch? (yes, note, I am excluding the pick of Kosar in the supp. draft)

6. How many QBs have been selected by the Browns in the first round since 1950? Name them.

7. In their history, the Browns have only ever selected 2 QBs in the Second round of the draft. Name them.

8. What does this list represent: Jerry Tagge, John Reaves, Pat Sullivan, Jim Fassell, Dean Carlson, Van Brownson, Craig Curry, Mike Franks, Joe Gilliam, Don Bunce, James Hamilton?

9. No Browns WR who has been taken in the draft since 1999 appears on the teams Top Ten all time receptions list. Who is the latest receiver taken who is in that top ten?

10. Who holds the Browns record for longest punt return?

1. Which QB that is currently active and who at some point in time played for or plays for the Browns has the most career completions?

Derek "Horseballs" Anderson

2. Which QB that is currently active and who at some point in time played for or plays for the Browns had the most completions in a game?

Colt McBoy

3. Which QB that is currently active and who at some point in time played for or plays for the Browns had the most TD throws in a game?

4. Who is the only QB in Browns history to "pitch a perfect game", i.e. have a game rating of 158.3 (which is the highest that can be scored). Note: it has only happened once.

Jeff Garcia

5. Tim Couch was drafted #1 overall in the 1999 draft. Who was the last QB taken in the first round of the regular draft by the Browns before Couch? (yes, note, I am excluding the pick of Kosar in the supp. draft)

Mike Phipps

6. How many QBs have been selected by the Browns in the first round since 1950? Name them.

Phipps, Couch, Brady, Weeds ... and I know you are going to pull some name form the 50's out of your ass ... Ninowski?

and Kosar if you are counting that.

7. In their history, the Browns have only ever selected 2 QBs in the Second round of the draft. Name them.

Can't think of one .... I'll guess McDonald and Zeier .... but I think those are both wrong, they were later

8. What does this list represent: Jerry Tagge, John Reaves, Pat Sullivan, Jim Fassell, Dean Carlson, Van Brownson, Craig Curry, Mike Franks, Joe Gilliam, Don Bunce, James Hamilton?

HIghest drafted QBs of a particular year who were not first rounders

9. No Browns WR who has been taken in the draft since 1999 appears on the teams all time receptions list. Who is the latest receiver taken who is in that top ten?

Taken by the browns? Dave Logan?

Travis Benjamin

Derek "Horseballs" Anderson NO

Colt McBoy Check

Check

Jeff Garcia..NO...if he did it, it was not as a member of the Browns.

Mike Phipps Check

Phipps, Couch, Brady, Weeds ... and I know you are going to pull some name form the 50's out of your ass ... Ninowski?

and Kosar if you are counting that.

Yes, there are a couple of guys from the 50s...but it is the Browns FO's ass, not mine that they are pulled out of...and Ninowski is not one of them....but the others you have named are.

Can't think of one .... I'll guess McDonald and Zeier .... but I think those are both wrong, they were later

Yes, they were. NO on McD and Z.

HIghest drafted QBs of a particular year who were not first rounders NO

9. No Browns WR who has been taken in the draft since 1999 appears on the teams all time receptions list. Who is the latest receiver taken who is in that top ten?

Taken by the browns? Dave Logan? NO

Travis Benjamin Check

The more that I look like this, they look like guys that came out at the same time ... QB Class of ... 1971?

Zombo

The more that I look like this, they look like guys that came out at the same time ... QB Class of ... 1971?

Zombo

You are getting warm. They did all come out of the same class....you are a year off. But that is only half of the answer to the question.

You are getting warm. They did all come out of the same class....you are a year off. But that is only half of the answer to the question.

1972 ... last time no QB taken in first round

Z

1972 ... last time no QB taken in first round

Z

No, two of those guys were first rounders (Tagge/Reaves).

....and fyi, there have been no QBs taken in the first round of the regular draft in the following draft years: 1996, 1988, 1985, 1984, 1974 (not including Kosar taken in Supp draft)

Answers:

Jason Campbell with 1328 completions. (DA: 760, McCoy 409, Weeden 297, Quinn 296)

Colt McCoy 40 Browns vs. Titans on 10/2/11

Anderson 5 TDs for the Browns vs. Bengals on Sept 16, 2007.

Brian Sipe on Oct. 29, 1978 vs. Buffalo Bills

Mike Phipps in 1970 (29 years went by, then they took 3 in the first round in the next 12 years.)

1952 Harry Agannis

1954 Bobby Garrett

1970 Phipps

1999 Couch

2007 Quinn

2012 Weeden

plus using their pick in 1985 to obtain Kosar in the Supp draft.

Moral of the story: the Browns should never use their first round draft pick in the regular draft to take a QB.

1957 Milt Plum (4 year starter for Browns)

1966 Rick Norton...who never played for the Browns...opted to play in AFL for Dolphins.

These are all of the QBs taken prior to Brian Sipe in the 1972 draft. Note: Sipe had 23,714 career passing yards. All these QBs combined had only 8574 career passing yards.

9. No Browns WR who has been taken in the draft since 1999 appears on the teams Top Ten all time receptions list. Who is the latest receiver taken who is in that top ten?

Webster Slaughter who was taken in the 1986 draft.

Travis Benjamin with his 93 yard return last year.

Archived