THE BROWNS BOARD

Beware the Backups

The Gipper

Here is a hypothetical. Assume that in the first week of the season every starting QB in the NFL suffered a season ending injury, and that the backups had to play for every team.

Who would fare best...i.e. not really miss a beat pretty much....and who would fare worst..where the whole team sinks into oblivion without their starter?

Here is the list of backup QB in the league;

Ariz: Drew Stanton/Ryan Lindley...backing up Carson Palmer

ATL: Dominique Davis....backing up Matt Ryan

Balt.: Tyrod Taylor...backing up Joe Flacco

Buff: Jeff Tuel/Thad Lewis...backing up EJ Manuel

Caro: Derek Anderson...backing up Cam Newton

Chic: Josh McCown....backing up Jay Cutler

Cinci: Josh Johnson....backing up Andy Dalton

Clev: Jason Campbell/Brian Hoyer....backing up Brandon Weeden

Dall: Kyle Orton....backing up Tony Romo

Den: Brock Osweiler/Zac Dysert...backing up Peyton Manning

Det: Shaun Hill/Kellen Moore....backing up Matt Stafford

G.B: Seneca Wallace...backing up Aaron Rodgers

Hou: TJ Yates/Case Keesum....backing up Matt Schaub

Indy: Matt Hasselbeck....backing up Andrew Luck

JAX: Chad Henne/Ricky Stanzi/Denard Robinson backing up Blaine Gabbert

KC: Chase Daniel/Tyler Bray....backing up Alex Smith

Mia: Matt Moore/Pat Devlin...backing up Ryan Tannehill

Minn: Matt Cassell....backing up Christian Ponder

NE: Ryan Mallet....backing up Tom Brady

N.O.: Luke McCown....backing up Drew Brees

NYG: Ryan Nassib/Curtis Painter....backing up Eli Manning

NYJ: Mark Sanchez/Matt Simms/Brady Quinn....backing up Geno Smith

Oak: Matt Flynn....backing up Terrell Pryor

Phil.: Nick Foles/Matt Barkley....backing up Michael Vick

Pitt: Bruce Gradkowski/Landry Jones.....backing up Ben Roethlisberger

S.D: Charlie Whitehurst/Brad Sorenson....backing up Phillip Rivers

Sea: Tavaris Jackson....backing up Russell Wilson

S.F.: Colt McCoy/BJ Daniels...backing up Colin Kaepernick

St.L: Kellen Clemens....backing up Sam Bradford

Tampa: Mike Glennon/Dan Orlovsky....backing up Josh Freeman

Tenn: Ryan Fitzpatrick....backing up Jake Locker

Wash: Kirk Cousins/Rex Grossman....backing up Robert Griffin

Who takes a dive and who stays the course?

My opinion of those who would do worst:

1. Green Bay....the gap between Aaron Rodgers and Seneca Wallace is about the size of that ditch dug out in northern Arizona.

2. New Orleans....ditto between Brees and McCown

3. Cincinnati....John Johnson was the Browns 4th stringer last year...and now he is #2 in Cinci? Oi!

4. Baltimore...Tyrod Taylor?

5. San Fran...McCoy just isn't going to be able to play the same game as Kaepernick

6. Pittsburgh....Bruce Gradkowski isn't half as good as Charlie Batch was. (I would expect Landry Jones to come in first actually)

Note that 3 of these are Browns AFCN foes.

A couple of others would be hurting just because of the status of their starting QB: New England and Denver.

Here is who I think would fare best...sorta:

1. Jets....Smith/Sanchez/Simms/BQ....does it really matter

2. Raiders....same deal where there is little talent gap between the starter and his backup: Pryor/Flynn ???

3. Dallas....I am of the opinion that Kyle Orton is not far off the capability of Tony Romo

4. Philly....Foles may not be able to do some of the same things Vick does....but he can perhaps play QB just as well...just with a different style.

5. Cleveland: Browns, it seems to me, actually have one of the better backup QB situations in the league.

6. Redskins: Kirk Cousins proved he could win replacing RGIII

I have to agree with you Gipper, I'd say Green Bay would be up the creek if Rodgers goes down. That cupboard is empty. (That's actually a glaring problem Im surprised exists in their franchise)

I'd say the team that would be ok is probably Miami. Matt Moore can sling it... I actually wanted the Browns to make a play for him before they drafted Weeden. Everytime I watch that guy I'm surprised he isn't starting somewhere. Well that and I don't think Tannehill is much more than a back up anyway

Cousins has also shown he is more than capable of running an offense.

I remember the Browns of old ('60's) making it seem like any backup QB was an all-star... especially if he came in off of the bench.

For example:

- Blanda in for Lamonica

- Hart in for Johnson

Both rallied their teams to victory

Used to pray for the starter to get up, if we knocked him down.

I remember the Browns of old ('60's) making it seem like any backup QB was an all-star... especially if he came in off of the bench.

For example:

- Blanda in for Lamonica

- Hart in for Johnson

Both rallied their teams to victory

Used to pray for the starter to get up, if we knocked him down.

The most renowned backup of all time perhaps was Earl Morrall who started the 1968 Super Bowl...but was relieved by the old wizard Johnny U. And then he started most of the Dolphins 1972 season before the injured Bob Griese got the call to start the Super Bowl.

Other renowned backups:

John Hadl, backup to Tobin Rote for Chargers

Gary Hoogeboom backup to Danny White for Cowboys

It was Frank Reich who led the greatest comeback in history: Bills vs. Oilers, not Jim Kelly

Jeff Hostetler came in as a backup and won a Super Bowl for the Giants.

Don Strock on several occasion came in for the Dolphins to pull them out of the fire

Steve Bono was a good backup to Montana

And this guy wasn't really a backup...but a guy replaced by two legends:

Steve DeBerg....was the starting QB for the 49ers til he had to give way to Joe Montana in like the 1980 season....and when he move on to another team that team happened to be the Denver Broncos who he led for a couple of years until they drafted Elway.

Obviously these teams have the best backups (I mean most of these guys could start somewhere): Carolina, Green bay, New York Jets, New Orleans, Pittsburgh, San Francisco

Trully amazing to see such a selection of starting QB quality guys like Derek Anderson, Seneca Wallace, Brady Quinn, Luke McCown, Bruce Gradkowski, and Colt McCoy respectively. I can't believe Charlie Frye, Kelly Holcolm, and Ken Dorsey haven't latched on anywhere.

Jeez... teams have been raiding our cupboards for years... :blink:

Obviously these teams have the best backups (I mean most of these guys could start somewhere): Carolina, Green bay, New York Jets, New Orleans, Pittsburgh, San Francisco

Trully amazing to see such a selection of starting QB quality guys like Derek Anderson, Seneca Wallace, Brady Quinn, Luke McCown, Bruce Gradkowski, and Colt McCoy respectively. I can't believe Charlie Frye, Kelly Holcolm, and Ken Dorsey haven't latched on anywhere.

Jeez... teams have been raiding our cupboards for years... :blink:

Don't forget Thad Lewis with the Bills. and that Jake Delhomme may still be out there looking for work.

Right... how did Shurmur not end up with his man crush in Philly? And, how could I forget about Delhomme, he played in a Super Bowl.

I believe Delhomme may have actually announced his retirement before last year. So, maybe he don't count?

And I read now that Charlie Frye is essentially officially retired. In fact, for the last few couple of years he has been a high school coach under Kenard Lang at a Fla. High school:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Frye

Delhomme I think has given up football to become a chicken man:

Delhomme has garnered popularity as a pitch-man for the Cajun fast food restaurant, Bojangles', where he is often depicted as a single-minded fried-chicken addict who audibles Bojangles' "fixin's" at the line of scrimmage.[41] One commercial parodies the film Jerry Maguire and the line "Show me the money!"; former teammate with the Panthers Steve Smith is featured in a cameo.[42] Another commercial with Smith portrays the duo as the Dukes of Hazzard, driving The General Lee with a large chicken head on the roof.[43] Delhomme has also done SunCom Wireless limited edition cell phone commercials that feature a Panthers logo and his signature,[44] and he has appeared in public service announcements for Civitan International.[45] Delhomme is noted for licking his fingers before every play, and sticking his tongue out as part of his focus.[46][47]

Archived