THE BROWNS BOARD

Would this have helped?

The Gipper

A lot of the burden for this debacle seems to be falling on the head of ONeil Cousins. Right or wrong, let's ask this question:

Mike Lombardi chose to punt in this last draft and trade the Browns picks in rounds 4 and 5 to move up next year. What could/should he have done if he had kept those picks. OG WAS one of the 3-4 positions of need going into that draft, would it have helped if instead of making those trades he had taken one of the following who were available when the Browns had their pick available to them in round 4;

Barrett Jones OG Alabama

Earl Watford OG James Madison

And in round 5 would any of these guys been able to improve deficiencies:

Jonathan Meeks Clemson

Steve Williams, Cal

Brandon McGee Miami Fla

Terry Hawthorne Illinois

I'm not sure a fourth or fifth round rookie guard was going to save the day.

I'm sure the Browns felt OK in April with Greco, Pinkie and Luvalo all veterans who can start being healthy.

John Moffitt made the roster in Denver ... what was so wrong about him that we sent him back ... and then cut the player traded for him anyway?

Zombo

I'm not sure a fourth or fifth round rookie guard was going to save the day.

I'm sure the Browns felt OK in April with Greco, Pinkie and Luvalo all veterans who can start being healthy.

John Moffitt made the roster in Denver ... what was so wrong about him that we sent him back ... and then cut the player traded for him anyway?

Zombo

The moffitt story sounds about right for the browns

A lot of the burden for this debacle seems to be falling on the head of ONeil Cousins. Right or wrong, let's ask this question:

Mike Lombardi chose to punt in this last draft and trade the Browns picks in rounds 4 and 5 to move up next year. What could/should he have done if he had kept those picks. OG WAS one of the 3-4 positions of need going into that draft, would it have helped if instead of making those trades he had taken one of the following who were available when the Browns had their pick available to them in round 4;

Barrett Jones OG Alabama

Earl Watford OG James Madison

And in round 5 would any of these guys been able to improve deficiencies:

Jonathan Meeks Clemson

Steve Williams, Cal

Brandon McGee Miami Fla

Terry Hawthorne Illinois

To answer your topic question... no

I'm pretty sure when Lombardi, Banner, Haslam and Chud all got in the same room for the first time they decided rightfully so that this season was a rebuilding/talent evaluation season that we had no chance in when it became obvious we were not gonna be able to significantly improve the QB position. I do believe Weeden still has a chance to be a mediocre starting QB in this league but its highly unlikely he is ever top 10-12 which is what u need to win a super bowl. They decided not to upgrade obvious deficiencies and to just roll with what we had in place till next year. There will be more significant changes to this roster in the coming offseason. And no I don't and I'm sure Lombardi and Banner don't think that would have helped us year one. And even if it did, if we knew we were a long shot to make the playoffs do we want to strive for mediocrity? This is why we traded our mid round picks for higher ones this year. This will be a much better draft class and we will have lots of ammo, including another top 10 pick.

I'm pretty sure when Lombardi, Banner, Haslam and Chud all got in the same room for the first time they decided rightfully so that this season was a rebuilding/talent evaluation season that we had no chance in when it became obvious we were not gonna be able to significantly improve the QB position. I do believe Weeden still has a chance to be a mediocre starting QB in this league but its highly unlikely he is ever top 10-12 which is what u need to win a super bowl. They decided not to upgrade obvious deficiencies and to just roll with what we had in place till next year. There will be more significant changes to this roster in the coming offseason. And no I don't and I'm sure Lombardi and Banner don't think that would have helped us year one. And even if it did, if we knew we were a long shot to make the playoffs do we want to strive for mediocrity? This is why we traded our mid round picks for higher ones this year. This will be a much better draft class and we will have lots of ammo, including another top 10 pick.

Honestly, I don't have any confidence in the talent evaluation skills of Mike Lombardi. He can have a dozen picks in a draft and I don't know if he would do a better job of it than I could just by reading ESPN or CBS sports scouting grades.

He too often goes for these "unknown" quantities....just in hopes that he has found a needle in a haystack that will make him look smarter than anyone else. While he finds that needle one out of ten times, the other 9 times he finds a cow turd in that haystack.

And all this team is stuck with is bullshit.

Archived