THE BROWNS BOARD

Kokinis speaks

ballpeen

McManamon: New Browns GM preaches team concept

Kokinis has final say on roster, plans to build team through draft

By Patrick McManamon

Beacon Journal sports columnist

POSTED: 12:17 p.m. EST, Jan 26, 2009

General Manager George Kokinis was affable and pleasant at his first news conference with the Browns today, but he didn't offer a lot of specifics in terms of his personnel department and the team's roster.

He did say that he will have final say on the 53-man roster, which is significant. Of course, he also talked about consensus and working together and the fact that he does have final say not being important.

"Once we get all the information and hear everybody's opinion about it, we're going to come to a decision on what is best for this football team," Kokinis said.

Browns President Mike Keenan introduced Kokinis and talked about Kokinis' passion for the city and the Browns. We hear that a lot about people these days.

Kokinis started by saying owner Randy Lerner cares about the team. Kokinis thanked the Ravens, where he spent 13 years, then thanked his parents for their life lessons and thanked his wife.

He said: "I do believe in this owner. He loves the Browns. He wants them to be great. And that's important. I believe in this head coach. . . . And I believe in the fans of Cleveland. The fans of Cleveland care about football, and it doesn't really matter what level."

He said he had no timetable on things, and did not want to get into the specifics of the roster. He used a lot of clichés, which is appropriate probably at this forum. Work ethic. Hard work. Get better every day. That kind of stuff.

It does not sound like there will be major changes in the scouting department for the short term. Kokinis said he would run college scouting meetings and seemed to defer any possible changes until down the road, if then.

On the final roster, Kokinis said: "In the end I'll have final say on the 53. It's not what's important here. What's important here is getting together, being on the same page and doing what is best for the Cleveland Browns."

Kokinis said former Browns and Giants GM Ernie Accorsi was involved in the process of his hiring.

Asked about the Browns' inability to beat the Steelers, he said: "I don't think the Steelers are any more of a task than any other team."

He said the Browns will be built from the draft. "That's what I believe in," he said.

Finally, asked about the fact that Mangini was hired prior to the GM, Kokinis said: "In the end the owner is in charge of hiring the coach. (In Baltimore) we gave as much information to Steve Biscotti as we could. In the end I think he nailed it in John Harbaugh. Coming here, I think Randy gained as much information as he needed. I think he nailed it."

He said the Browns will be built from the draft. "That's what I believe in," he said.

Says the ex-Raven free agent scout.

If this is indeed the case, the days of the freewheelin' FA activity here are dead.

Guest Masters

Well we all knew that if Konkinis got the job, contractually he had to be given final say over the 53 man roster. There was that report a while ago that having that was a requirement for him to be able to leave BALT. Let's just hope that doesn't go to his head and remembers that is just there in contract so he could have the job.

I consider this a good thing except for under very favorable circumstances..

Building by draft and fit is the way to build a consistant and solid team..

capt.203032f1ce26441fa5f0bbe9feea205f.br

He has a little boy haircut. And maybe a touch of dwarfism.

Looks like he can chow down with Mangini and Romeo too.

Sort of a greek Leave it to Beaver instead of a born-again Opie.

Ok, I've adjusted ... I wonder who he cuts first?

Zombo

Archived