THE BROWNS BOARD

did we run in second half?

browni8878

i know its a passing league and all but 54 throws versus 17 runs. and one of those runs were on a fake punt and one on a end around. why are we passing so much? not bitching but just seeing what everyone thinks. Good win.

How we abandoned the run sucked the first two weeks. Trailing in a one-possession game in the second half isn't a reason to forget being balanced, or at least keeping a defense honest. Whether it's Hoyer or Weeden, 50+ passes probably won't work too often. Today though, we had no choice, plus our line is still struggling. Hoyer masked the pass protection problems a lot better than Weeden. Running, only the end around and 3rd-and-30 draw to Ogby, worked.

I would like seeing Rainey and Ogby, more so than McGahee, get a few more touches. If Hoyer has success with Gordon and Cameron down the field, more draws could work, too.

We actually had a first down produced by two consective runs today... Back to back by Rainey for 7 then 4 yards IIRC...

Pass run balance is great, but you don't continue to run just for the sake of running. You continue to run because the running that predeeded was effective.

For a few reasons we are simply not an effective run team at this point. Doesn't mean we will never be one... just means we aren't one yet.

i know its a passing league and all but 54 throws versus 17 runs. and one of those runs were on a fake punt and one on a end around. why are we passing so much? not bitching but just seeing what everyone thinks. Good win.

I called this after the Richardson trade in the McGahee thread. Expect more 50/20 pass run ratio games. This is the main reason Richardson was expendable and is also why we picked McGahee up over some of the younger guys. McGahee is a great blocker. Chud anf Norv only wanna run to keep the defense honest and to pick up short yardage.

Specifically the Vikings have a terrible secondary so I'm sure the game plan was to pass early and often. McGahee is going to assume the lead back role this season as well, but it's hard to fully rotate him in after 3 days. I'd expect 5-6 more carries against the Bengals but still 40-45 throws.

Archived