THE BROWNS BOARD

So...Anyone Wanna Talk Playoffs?

Soju

Well, a high morale team, at home to a divisional rival this week, followed by visits from the lions and the bills? You blink and we've gone from tanking an 0-2 season to being 4-2, top of the division, and maybe even up to about 27th in every power ranking ever!

IF we beat Cincy next week I guarantee there will be P-Word threads sprouting up everywhere, I just wanted to be the first.

From the 2014 Draft 2 weeks in, to playoffs talk. That's Cleveland fans.

Then we can deal with it then.

Seriously, when we win on Sunday, we will be right there. 8 games might win this division. Why not us?

Then we can deal with it then.

Seriously, when we win on Sunday, we will be right there. 8 games might win this division. Why not us?

Exactly! For being told that the Browns were supposed to be mailing it this season... well... you could have fooled me, because it sure didn't look like it yesterday!

It's progably optimistic, but I'm thinking we can get home wins against all three in the division, and probably beat the steelers on the road. Then we need to beat bills, lions after cincy, and Jax, and we're 8-8 all of a sudden. WTF? Oh, and we go to the Jets as well, which is eminently winnable. 9-7?

Yes, that's probably optimistic.

OK, lets talk playoffs: in this vein:

For like 14 of the last 15 seasons every year there was a least a 5 team turnover in who made the playoffs. Here is who was in last year with their current record this season:

Packers, 1-2

Vikings, 0-3

Redskins 0-3

Texans 2-1

Bengals 2-1

Ravens 2-1

Seahawks 3-0

49ers 1-2

Patriots 3-0

Falcons 1-2

Broncos 2-0

Colts 2-1

So, which 5 get shoved out?

And which 5 get in? Some candidates:

Chiefs 3-0

Bears 3-0

Dolphins 3-0

Saints 3-0

Cowboys 2-1

Lions 2-1

Titans 2-1

Jets 2-1

OK, lets talk playoffs: in this vein:

For like 14 of the last 15 seasons every year there was a least a 5 team turnover in who made the playoffs. Here is who was in last year with their current record this season:

Packers, 1-2

Vikings, 0-3

Redskins 0-3

Texans 2-1

Bengals 2-1

Ravens 2-1

Seahawks 3-0

49ers 1-2

Patriots 3-0

Falcons 1-2

Broncos 2-0

Colts 2-1

So, which 5 get shoved out? Vikings, 0-3

Redskins 0-3 Falcons 1-2...I'm fairly certain of those teams being ousted. I think the Falcons have too many recent playoff scars, and Washington & Mnnesota have a lot to fix.

And which 5 get in? Some candidates:

Chiefs 3-0

Bears 3-0

Dolphins 3-0

Saints 3-0

Cowboys 2-1

Lions 2-1

Titans 2-1

Jets 2-1

Let's not get excited just yet. Beat the Bengals convincingly, and there's a glimmer of hope. I don't see that happening. Went from first pick in the draft to talking playoffs, after one win against the Vikings?

The Browns may not be as bad as I initially thought minus Richardson- but that is not a playoff caliber offense- at least not yet. One legit wr in Gordon, and a fossilized Willis McGahee. Teams will now have some tape on Hoyer too, he's got to prove he's more than a one hit wonder.

Yes the defense is good enough to keep them in games, but there's a disturbing trend that they've lost every first half lead so far. Are they being out adjusted to at halftime?

Let's not get excited just yet. Beat the Bengals convincingly, and there's a glimmer of hope. I don't see that happening. Went from first pick in the draft to talking playoffs, after one win against the Vikings?

The Browns may not be as bad as I initially thought minus Richardson- but that is not a playoff caliber offense- at least not yet. One legit wr in Gordon, and a fossilized Willis McGahee. Teams will now have some tape on Hoyer too, he's got to prove he's more than a one hit wonder.

Yes the defense is good enough to keep them in games, but there's a disturbing trend that they've lost every first half lead so far. Are they being out adjusted to at halftime?

That's what I'm worried about. Vikings had half a game on him and nearly shut him down.

But again, Browns in the second half had almost 0 adjustments and nearly lost the game. Not sure if they had Hoyers number the second half or it was our lack of adjustments.

The runningback had zero influence on that game... it was a dome game with climate control against an 0-2 team. When the snow starts flying and the winds are biting, that's when you are going to be missing that "ordinary" back we had.

We need a runningback now, and that sucks. Well, maybe we'll get Hardesty and Lewis back next year...

The Browns should have waited to see what they had in this team with Hoyer at QB, Trent at RB, Gordon at WR and Cameron at TE. It could have been a top 3 offense in the league, but.. they muffed it just like Benjamin. :unsure:

Running backs are a nickel a dozen.

I keep hearing that but if it's so true, how come we haven't had any luck finding them. Not to many others either. Mack and Byner had a line. Brown did too as did the Pruitt's. That's only 5. Kelly and I need six more for that dozen. I would also give much more than a nickel for any one of them.

Running backs are a nickel a dozen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PH0C87tJgmg

Get out of here with that, if we EVER have the chance to take a special runningback again- we'd better do it.

The problem sure isn't fatigue related to time of possession. Miami had the ball only five minutes longer than Browns and the other two games were approx. even.

The problem sure isn't fatigue related to time of possession. Miami had the ball only five minutes longer than Browns and the other two games were approx. even.

Exactly... And in the Miami game...the time of possession was dead even before Miami went on an 85 yard drive, up 3, to essentially end the game.

Don't see this team in the playoffs with Hoyer at QB. It's a whole different story when teams have tape and can gameplan (ala Derek Anderson). He stared down his receivers the entire game, yes worse than Weeden ever did, and got frazzled when pressured. I'll be at the game this coming Sunday, so I hope I'm wrong, but the Bengals can exploit Hoyer pretty bad. Hate to say it, but this offense with the return of Gordon might look even better once Weeden comes back... UNLESS, Hoyer truly has what it takes to get better each week, and enhance his game at the same pace defenses will be gameplanning to shut him down. I'd rather see that than Weeden back at QB, but if Hoyer looks bad, welcome back Weeden...

Lets get to .500, preferably after 6 or so games, before we start talking playoffs. Yeah our front 7 looks good, we have two legit offensive weapons in Gordon and Cameron, and the Steelers look awful however, the Bengals look good and the Ravens seem like they're getting it together. Add in we have a running back who still hasn't spent a full week on the roster, another that was the 5th string before the season started (and only moved up due to injury) and another who's been spending his time at FB. Then there's the whole potential QB controversy brewing. I know just about everyone here has boarded the S.S Hoyer but lets see him play more then one game. Don't get me wrong it was a great win after a pretty tumultuous week and I know I'm coming across as a pessimistic patty but if being a Brown's fan has taught me anything, it's to keep my expectations in check.

Lets get to .500, preferably after 6 or so games, before we start talking playoffs. Yeah our front 7 looks good, we have two legit offensive weapons in Gordon and Cameron, and the Steelers look awful however, the Bengals look good and the Ravens seem like they're getting it together. Add in we have a running back who still hasn't spent a full week on the roster, another that was the 5th string before the season started (and only moved up due to injury) and another who's been spending his time at FB. Then there's the whole potential QB controversy brewing. I know just about everyone here has boarded the S.S Hoyer but lets see him play more then one game. Don't get me wrong it was a great win after a pretty tumultuous week and I know I'm coming across as a pessimistic patty but if being a Brown's fan has taught me anything, it's to keep my expectations in check.

Well you said ti right there. We have enough offensive threats in Gordon and Cameron (every team needs at least two, I guess you can say Bess is our third threat) and Hoyer just may be the game manager we need, and our defense definitely playoff caliber. I see no reason why we couldn't make it to the playoffs in this weak divion. None at all.

Archived