THE BROWNS BOARD

Why is Chud waiting to name a starter vs Bungles?

Browns149

HOYER>Weeden

because you don't lose your job in the nfl as a starting QB due to injury unless your name is Drew Bledsoe.

if he DOES name hoyer as the starter and weeden is 100% then we all the know the fate of weeden.

gonezo.

yeah but wasn't bledsoe out for the year with his injury? and after the season they decided not to bring him back?

yeah but wasn't bledsoe out for the year with his injury? and after the season they decided not to bring him back?

He was ready to go in the playoffs. They weren't switching at that point. Rightfully so. You play the guy that gives you the best chance to win every game, who cares how you lost the job.

well you can't say they made the wrong choice, that's for sure.

wouldn't it be a bitch if KC makes it to the playoffs and SF doesn't?

ouch.

Wouldn't be a bigger bitch to see KC go from garbage to playoffs when everyone knows its a 5 year plan.

well you can't say they made the wrong choice, that's for sure.

wouldn't it be a bitch if KC makes it to the playoffs and SF doesn't?

ouch.

It does look like RG3, Vick, and Colin will all be out this year. I think DC gonna regret that one for a long time and will spell Shanahan's downfall. Good kid but I don't see long term success with him.

This is Campbell's week... :o

No, seriously...

Chud said in pressers last week that:

1. Hoyer fit the Viking game plan.
  2. Wheezy's return to starter status was not a given.

Based on the above I think Chud will announce the starter Wednesday after the game plan is complete and Wheezy's status is accessed.

I think it should be Hoyer, but won't be surprised if it's Campbell.

No, seriously...

Based on the above I think Chud will announce the starter Wednesday after the game plan is complete and Wheezy's status is accessed.

hell, if that happens i might have to just drink and smoke and go tothis website and trance out:

http://www.zombo.com/

The safe thing to do would be to name Hoyer the starter due to Wheedons injury and hope that Hoyer either shows that he deserves it for the rest of the year or that Wheedon should take the snaps. If you start Hoyer infront of Wheedon you are basically saying Wheedon is done, if you start Wheedon over Hoyer after any mistake/3 and out the fans will be chanting for Hoyer.

No, seriously...

I highly doubt it.

It does look like RG3, Vick, and Colin will all be out this year. I think DC gonna regret that one for a long time and will spell Shanahan's downfall. Good kid but I don't see long term success with him.

I agree. RG3 will be lucky to last 5 years the way he's going.

No, seriously...

You wouldn't be surprised if Campbell was named starter??? I'll have what you're having.

It's Hoyer. Peter King's Offensive Player of the Week. Dilfer's Dime of the Week. Simms' comparisons to Luck, says he's watched Hoyer "50 times" in practice and knew he could seriously play. LaConfora called him "the best quarterback who hadn't had his shot yet." A lot of people seem to have known something about this kid, and I find that really interesting.

Not a chance in hell the Browns sit Hoyer after a comeback victory TD pass and 326 yards. Not a prayer. Zero. None. Zilch. Don't overthink it, and I'm talking to all the fans as well as Chud (he ain't actually overthinkin' it).

If Hoyer doesn't start, I'll drink domestic beer. I'm not kidding.

No, seriously...

The handwriting was on the wall 10 feet high when they traded Richardson for a 2014 pick- they have no confidence in Weeden as a long term solution. I don't know if Chud has time to read the glowing National reports about Hoyer's performance, but I'll bet Haslam and Banner do.

The "you don't lose your starting job due to injury" is one dated concept, if the other guy comes in and lights it up, if you have an ounce of intelligence a a head coach, you play the guy with the hot hand. Weeden has had 17 games to prove he's mediocre at best- Hoyer should get at least two.

I truly believe if Chud names Weeden the starter against the Bungles, they had better introduce the defense Sunday, because Weeden WILL get roundly booed. Not only then but after the first miscue, the chants "we want Hoyer" are going to be deafening.

Ever notice that when a hot starting quarterback like, oh, Tom Brady gets a little ding he plays in spite of it? Whenever a quarterback that the front office or coaching staff has little or no confidence in gets a little ding he seems to be on the injured reserve for weeks on end.

Anyway the game against the bung holes will go a lng way as far as providing insight as to everybody's opinion of Weeden.

WSS

Hoyer named starter today. Mark it down...

Cool! Hoyer has been a watch and learn guy for about 5 years now. In a way it is like having a veteran QB. I'm a fan of bringing a QB along slow and this throwing them to the wolves approach almost never pans out. That don't mean Hoyer will be great but this is pretty much his career on the line now and he's gonna lay it all out there.

I'm certainly curious about Hoyer because he's kind of a boutique favorite of NFL insider types... which made my daughter ask, "So why didn't somebody snatch him up and play him?" Well, hon, I wish you'd stop asking such logical questions.

But if you watched the 4th preseason game or last Sunday, you do see it. He seems to know what he's doing, which is pretty huge. He does have "spot accuracy," throwing the ball to the right side and height of the receiver for the right reasons. People always said McCoy was accurate but he really wasn't. It just meant he was short and weak-armed.

He made a few glaring gaffes but that's exactly what they were... gaffes. And Chud said Hoyer knew what he did wrong immediately. We have to remember, he's had two starts in his career and one in this offense. We can actually expect him to get better, to play like he did last Sunday but without the mistakes. I think that's the kind of QB he can be, someone who gives you a really clean game AND has enough arm to take a few shots downfield. Makes me think of Alex Smith in a way, just not as fast. Keep in mind that accounting for drops, Smith completed 82.6% of his passes, #1 in the NFL last year.

And now he's 3-0 and Kaep is 1-2. There's something to be said for just completing the passes that are there for completing on a consistent basis (!), and as small as that sounds, we haven't seen that much of it in Cleveland. It wins games, especially if you can run the ball pretty well and play some defense.

Does it make you a champion? That's where the discussion begins. At some point, a QB is going to need to carry you to a few really key wins. Throw for 400, put up 35 points, dominate. Clearly Harbaugh didn't think Alex Smith could do that. Can Hoyer? Can he carry a team a handful of times over the course of a 16-game season?

It's all between his ears. Manning is a big guy with no wheels and a good but not amazing arm... but he's the best QB of our generation, arguably. Maybe better right now than he's ever been. Brady came in with a so-so arm and got stronger but it's all about his pass after pass judgement and accuracy. Hoyer is way more mobile than either and his arm is in that general area (the middle 50% of the league with few extremes). Can he be a surgeon? Can he hit pass after pass after pass?

I'm kind of intrigued.

Wanted to put this separately: One of the beat writers wrote these two points without irony. Ouch.

1. I still think Weeden has the most upside and I'd like to see him with Gordon.

2. Wow, PFF says the Browns line played WAY better in week three than in the previous weeks, allowing only six pressures against a very good pass rush team!

He never once said that perhaps that's because one of Hoyer's best traits, learned while watching Brady, is getting the ball out fast. He never seemed to notice that the line personnel was the same... but the QB changed. Remember when the line sucked for Charlie Frye, always "running for his life," but seemed just fine for statue Derek Anderson?

I'm not going all Ghoolie and saying the wide bodies don't matter, but all lines look infinitely better when Aaron Rodgers is playing behind them.

Wanted to put this separately: One of the beat writers wrote these two points without irony. Ouch.

1. I still think Weeden has the most upside and I'd like to see him with Gordon.

2. Wow, PFF says the Browns line played WAY better in week three than in the previous weeks, allowing only six pressures against a very good pass rush team!

He never once said that perhaps that's because one of Hoyer's best traits, learned while watching Brady, is getting the ball out fast. He never seemed to notice that the line personnel was the same... but the QB changed. Remember when the line sucked for Charlie Frye, always "running for his life," but seemed just fine for statue Derek Anderson?

I'm not going all Ghoolie and saying the wide bodies don't matter, but all lines look infinitely better when Aaron Rodgers is playing behind them.

I haven't seen or heard about getting to the line quicker as well. Weeden seemed to have a lot of trouble and got way to many delay of games called against the team. I didn't see that at all with Hoyer in there.

Archived