THE BROWNS BOARD

Z might return Thursday

Guest Masters

Guest Masters

INDEPENDENCE, Ohio -- Cleveland Cavaliers starting center Zydrunas Ilgauskas says he hopes to play this week after practicing for the first time since breaking a bone in his left ankle.

Ilgauskas, sidelined since Jan. 2, made it through Monday's workout without any problems. He's hoping to play on Thursday night when the Cavaliers visit Orlando. Ilgauskas initially hurt his ankle during a Dec. 10 game at Philadelphia, and the 7-foot-3 big man tried to come back before it was completely healed.

He was cleared last week to begin on-court activities after tests showed his ankle had improved.

Ilgauskas is averaging 13.8 points and 7.1 rebounds for the Cavs, who are coming off a 3-1 trip out West and have the Eastern Conference's best record at 34-8.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3862256

Hal-a-freaking-lujah. Seriously. A post guy who can score.

The upside of these injuries: Pavlovic and Hickson are useful and Varajeo is part of the long-term plan again. He's expanded his game enough that he isn't just a Spanish Big Ben.

The Lakers are getting everybody back and looking freakishly scary and deep. When healed, the Cavs would have Boobie, Pavlovic, Hickson, and either Andy or Ben in the second unit, plus whomever we get for Wally.

I like Wally... but I think I like his expiring deal more. I just read that the buzz has the Cavs looking for a big man in case Z doesn't hold up. Logic says a big man who can make a hoop or two, unlike Ben. I'm thinking Joe Smith's looking pretty good right now.

Didnt we have Joe Smith last year?

Guest Masters

With the way Wally is playing and hitting shots, I don't move him unless there is some killer piece CLE can get. Even then, I am hesitant. Every team needs that guy you can bring off the bench that will drain the open 3 you need. Right now, Wally is that guy

With the way Wally is playing and hitting shots, I don't move him unless there is some killer piece CLE can get. Even then, I am hesitant. Every team needs that guy you can bring off the bench that will drain the open 3 you need. Right now, Wally is that guy

How does ben wallace make more than lebron?

Guest Masters
How does ben wallace make more than lebron?

Contract CLE inherited from the Bulls. Wallace signed his contract a year or two after CLE gave James his max deal the first time his contract was up. Bulls over payed and now CLE has to.

I still don't quite get Big Ben. To average no points a game, I think he has to do more than get 11 rebounds. He needs to ring up 15 boards a game and lots of blocks, too. Otherwise, why not start Andy and have Hickson and Smith off the bench?

I think they generally want Ben on the floor with Z. It's just balance with Z's offense and Ben's lack thereof (and possibly just the opposite with defense.) Ben's effect on the defensive end is hard to see sometimes, especially when you're looking at just the box score.

I still think the addition to be made, if any, is backup point guard. Boobie just doesn't get it done, he's very inept at running the offense and just starting plays He even struggles bringnig the ball up the court sometimes. He's a good spot up shooter but beyond that I'm starting to wonder about his playmaking/defense. Delonte is our starting shooting guard. Don't think he belongs doing PG either.

I hate to trade Wally right now with his play lately. Buy low sell high, I guess.

Agree with DT, Ben is much more than the box score shows. His stats are still pretty good on D (1 steal, 1.6 blocks per game), but it's all the other things. The handful of all-star games and defensive player of the year awards, and Championship experience for one. But he also just seems like the guy who, even when he's not blocking shots, he makes people think twice about driving the lane. He has the "swagger" that gives our team an identity and toughness. And when Varejao can go off for 18 on 9/9 shooting with 10 boards and a few blocks, he can still be too wild. Ben is a rock, smart defensively, grabbing the IMPORTANT rebounds even when he's not racking up his usual 12 or 13 a game.

But I guess that's just me. I like him. I'll take one more offensive guy off the bench and be set.

I've gotta believe Hickson is way ahead of where Ferry and co. wanted to see him at this point. He's progressed at such a fast pace it's scary. Like the Bynum comparison, though I wish he was a 7 footer like Bynum.

Didn't Andy sign a one year deal? I can't remember for some reason, but I thought he did. Given Hickson's play and the money Andy may want, he might not be a lock to stay.

I guess I could live with Delonte playing some PG while Mo is on the bench given that we'd still have Boobie/Sasha if we traded Wally and didn't get a PG in return. But, they don't even play Delonte there if I remember correctly from pre-injury. They have Boobie doing it more often. His ineptness leaves, once again, LeBron shouldering the load. Don't like that and haven't liked that.

They've even been relapsing to doing that when Mo is on the floor sometimes. I just want someone out there to run the show and tell LeBron no once in a while when he's calling for the ball 10 feet behind the three point line.

Archived