THE BROWNS BOARD

Mike Petersen

Solon16

Guest Aloysius

That's something I'm actually planning on examining further.

But my guess is no: he has less than ideal size for the position (6'1", 238 lbs.) and is on the downward end of his career. He actually lost his job to Daryl Smith last year; he only started because Smith got hurt.

In addition to that, he's not the type of personality that Mangini would want to bring in. IIRC, Jack Del Rio banished him from the team for about a week of the '08 season - doesn't seem to be a solid locker room type.

Peterson doesn't really seem to be a good fit in a 3-4 defense. Also, there are character issues.

Mangini is high on guys with solid characters and team players. We have enough "me" guys on this team.

IIRC, Jack Del Rio banished him from the team for about a week of the '08 season - doesn't seem to be a solid locker room type.

You recall correctly, but this could be because Del Rio was losing this team, not because Peterson was a dick. Just speculation, of course.

But the dude is pretty long in the tooth, so to me it doesn't matter anyway.

Guest Aloysius
238 is plenty big for a linebacker to play at, it is more about the style of play than how big the guy is. Hell, there was an article in the Pittsburgh post gazette last month that reported Farrior Was down to 218 for the final few games.

True, and that was a very interesting article.

It's more of a correlation kind of thing: guys around 6'1", 250 lbs. are usually the guys with the strength & style of play necessary to play in a 3-4. My faint recollection is that Peterson's style of play doesn't fit, so the measuables kind of confirm it for me.

But as I said, I'd like to watch a little film of Peterson before giving a definite no.

Guest Aloysius

Watched some Jacksonville highlights...Peterson definitely isn't a fit for a 3-4 defense. Though he still runs well, he's got the strength of a safety (free, not strong).

Some team undeterred by his character issues will get a decent linebacker, but he's not at all a good fit for us.

Watched some Jacksonville highlights...Peterson definitely isn't a fit for a 3-4 defense. Though he still runs well, he's got the strength of a safety (free, not strong).

Some team undeterred by his character issues will get a decent linebacker, but he's not at all a good fit for us.

Dude is definitely on the backside of his career and not a LB many teams are going to want in my opinion. I felt the same way about Willie McGinest when the browns went out and signed him. However at least with Willie you are getting a high character defensive leader, you aren't getting that with peterson. The Browns need to stay away from the big name game or better stated players with name recognition but on the outside looking in skill wise. (on the decline) Stallworth is a prime example of this and even he is on the outside of the big name circle but certainly got paid like one. He did zero and Peterson has also had his fair share of injury concerns.

EDIT: As far as Farrior is concerned I think he's been playing at 218 most of the season but still excels because of his technique and football savvy.

Archived