THE BROWNS BOARD

Hoyer named even though Weeden cleared to play...hmmmm

flyingfooldoug

2-0 with Hoyer. It has to suck to lose the starting job because of injury, however; you have to go with the hot hand. Hoyer has good command in the huddle, and makes good decisions. Weeden may be strong armed, but has no touch on the ball at all! Before anyone says that Weeden didn't have the benefit of Josh Gordon for the first 2 games, well... he had him all last year, and didn't do shit!

2-0 with Hoyer. It has to suck to lose the starting job because of injury, however; you have to go with the hot hand. Hoyer has good command in the huddle, and makes good decisions. Weeden may be strong armed, but has no touch on the ball at all! Before anyone says that Weeden didn't have the benefit of Josh Gordon for the first 2 games, well... he had him all last year, and didn't do shit!

Looks like the players are behind him as well:

“I call Hoyer the Hometown Hero. I’m going to start that campaign pretty soon here.” - Phil Taylor

Great story for Hoyer, but you have to wonder what's going through Weeden's head. Clearly a talented athlete, but failed at baseball, and now it looks like he's failing at football. I feel for the guy because he seems genuinely nice.

I'm hoping that with a little time that Weeden can progress at his game. Drafted and thrown to the wolves is not the best way to learn...at least in my book. Maybe he can learn and become a much better qb for some bench time.

Great story for Hoyer, but you have to wonder what's going through Weeden's head. Clearly a talented athlete, but failed at baseball, and now it looks like he's failing at football. I feel for the guy because he seems genuinely nice.

I can understand that. I don't hate Weeden as a person. I mean, he probably is a nice guy, but from a football perspective drafting him in the 1st round was a reach. It's probably a big reason as to why Jimmy Haslam punched Mike Holmgren and Tom Heckert's tickets out of town!

I can understand that. I don't hate Weeden as a person. I mean, he probably is a nice guy, but from a football perspective drafting him in the 1st round was a reach. It's probably a big reason as to why Jimmy Haslam punched Mike Holmgren and Tom Heckert's tickets out of town!

Yep, I doubt anyone would have taken him between out 22 and 37 last year, would could have waited to take him, no doubt. Then he's not a first rounder, not under instant pressure to rescue the franchise, Colt McCoy gets to play on etc. But then if we're redoing the draft, we take Russell Wilson (or Kirk Cousins) in the third, and then (someone else) with the second first. But hey, hindsight is perfect :)

U tellin me Jacksonville wouldn't pony up a 3rd or a 4th for him. My god gabbert may be the biggest bust all time

I think they have their eyes set firmly on the Bridgewater, or whoever they love in that draft. Maybe someone's desperate for Clowney and they actually pull off a huge trade and get a bunch of picks - either way, they're thinking what everyone else is, that this draft is loaded with potentially franchise QBs, they can pick one up wherever they end up, basically.

Right, and what's Weeden if not a 30-year-old work in progress? If they want someone to act as the starter for a year or two, maybe they should try a Matt Cassel, or Josh Freeman, or someone who's at least shown an ability to win games in the past.

Easy answer is front office and coaching ego's.

I thought weeds was a wasted pick. I supported him, but didn't like the selection. H&H's ego stood in the way and blew it.

The NFL wants its first RD. Selections to be game ready.

I don't know about you but I don't see the talent at a high level for this years QB class. Not trying to be pessimistic, just objective.

I like Weeden. I think he still can become a good NFL starter. Having said that I can't make a case to take the ball from Hoyer. He looks great, nice touch, good location on longer passes and we are winning. I hope he keeps it going. The drive home from the game is always much shorter when we win lol.

I would not be surprised if Weeden was a Titan or Jag by next week. He would probably a 3rd or 4th and he is not tied to the current regime.

I like Weeden. I think he still can become a good NFL starter. Having said that I can't make a case to take the ball from Hoyer. He looks great, nice touch, good location on longer passes and we are winning. I hope he keeps it going. The drive home from the game is always much shorter when we win lol.

I would not be surprised if Weeden was a Titan or Jag by next week. He would probably a 3rd or 4th and he is not tied to the current regime.

What about a stealer? I see they are screaming for bens head there.

Bridgewater's the best, so technically yeah, there's a dropoff. That's true whenever there's a consensus #1 (which I believe there is this year)... but I also believe by the end of the year there could be 5 first round QBs who could be all be better prospects than E.J. Manuel: Bridgewater, Hundley, and Boyd for sure. If Mariota comes out, I'd say that's four. Manziel is right there. And then there's Fales, Carr, and Stephen Morris, who could all go in round 2. One might even rise to late round 1 (in the traditional trade-up).

So yeah, Bridgewater is #1 (overall)... but it's a really good year to draft a quarterback.

Oh, and I didn't even mention the SEC guys: McCarron, Murray, and Mettenberger. All should be gone by end of round 3.

If everybody comes out, 11 QBs are worthy of drafting no later than round 3. Someone's gonna get pushed down and be a steal, like Aaron Murray.

Stephen Morris might throw the best deep ball in the draft. There's just a ton of talent. At WR, too.

Give it a rest Shep... we don't need another QB Draft thread...

“I call Hoyer the Hometown Hero. I’m going to start that campaign pretty soon here.” - Phil Taylor

Great quote... leaders win locker rooms... easy to see the leader at QB on our roster...

.. or a close 2nd to drafting TR with the #3 overall...

H&H were in panic mode from the get-go... trading up one friggin' spot to draft a RB... grabbing a 27 yo college QB...

Still makes me ill to think of it....

Weeden may be strong armed, but has no touch on the ball at all!

Wheezy can put touch on the ball... we've seen him do it. But only when he is not under pressure.

The guy has to think on the field... has no instinct for the position. If he does not see an open receiver, he cannot pull the trigger.

Bridgewater's the best, so technically yeah, there's a dropoff. That's true whenever there's a consensus #1 (which I believe there is this year)... but I also believe by the end of the year there could be 5 first round QBs who could be all be better prospects than E.J. Manuel: Bridgewater, Hundley, and Boyd for sure. If Mariota comes out, I'd say that's four. Manziel is right there. And then there's Fales, Carr, and Stephen Morris, who could all go in round 2. One might even rise to late round 1 (in the traditional trade-up).

So yeah, Bridgewater is #1 (overall)... but it's a really good year to draft a quarterback.

I was watching the SJSU-Utah State game and texting my friend about how much I liked Fales. I don't follow college football as heavily since I finished school and hadn't heard anything about him.

I'm texting my buddy about his release and how he seems poised in the pocket and how I think he'd be a great late round prospect that could eventually start and my buddy is just texting back "yeah" and "yep".

Come to find out that he's a first round prospect.

Moral of the story: I need cable television so I don't sound like a jackass.

I don't think Fales is QUITE first round yet. But I think he's 2nd or 3rd with a possibility to be that guy who rises into late one.

Again, if Hoyer's really good, that's the kind of guy we have the draft ammunition to take early in two, before somebody else gets the bright idea. Might be him, might be someone else. But Nick Foles still looks like a player (mopping up) and Russell Wilson certainly is, so clearly there are more prospects than can be wedged into those first 37 picks (some magic number from a beat writer, can't remember who).

I think it's just a matter of SO many teams drafting their quarterback over the past 5-7 years and it being the "Golden Age" of quarterbacking, where fewer teams are looking.

It's a really, REALLY strong quarterback draft. Both at the top and in depth. "Works in progress?" You mean more than most guys who haven't played pro football? I'm gonna have to disagree. It's just a really good QB draft, period.

there's no 'given' in anything in life. no close but no cigar in anything but horseshoes and hand-grenades.

why even think about picking a QB (the biggest gamble of all in the poker game that is being a GM) if hoyer pans out?

why, just tell me?

i swear some people get a hardon for a player or a purpose and there is no reasoning with them.

sorta like right-wing republicans.

hell we gotta first out of indy for TR. can't we at least get a kicker for weeden?

Archived