THE BROWNS BOARD

Channing Crowder

Guest Aloysius

Guest Aloysius

Another scouting report for another FA option:

Strengths:

Great speed for the position...Surprisingly effective at stacking and shedding blocks...Makes a lot of plays near and behind the line of scrimmage...Always around the ball...Plays with a nasty demeanor, delivering hits to ball carriers falling to the ground...Kind of guy who blows up plays

Weaknesses:

Will sometimes gamble and get out of position...Hops instead of backpeddling when he drops into coverage...Not good at tracking the ball in the air, leading to missed interception opportunities...Isn't as quick moving laterally, resulting in running backs beating him around the corner...Chronic knee issues haven't caused him to miss a lot of games, but they may affect his long-term durability...Has a history of character issues that may not make him a "Patriot Way" type

Conclusions:

Crowder may be the FA option who'd have the biggest short-term impact on our defense. He'd probably be better in his first year as a Brown than a guy like Aaron Curry would be as a rookie. But the long-term questions are the major ones about Crowder: will his knee hold up for four to five more years? And over the long haul, will he be the good locker room citizen and leader that our young team needs?

I believe he would be an outstanding pickup if you think you can control him. He is a much better ILB if he is playing with a solid SS.

How does he compare with Bart Scott? Also anybody else out there who is in the elite class (not a Barton)

I think if we are going to make a splash in FA this season, it should be at Safety. I dont recall any FA safeties available that I'd be willing to give a Stallworth deal to though (edited: I would definitely give Brian Dawkins that kind of money, but I doubt he's leaving Philly).

Because of all the 3-4 LBs' available on Day 1, the two we should pick (Curry 1st absolutely, then Matthews/Sintim) should contribute immediately. Our corners I think are solid, and The Return of Robaire will have a significant impact up front.

On O, another area we could make a splash (or need one) is at center. But, we all remember how that turned out last time. Can't Hadnot snap it? He didn't seem to be getting it done at RG (which could be a result of Fraley getting bullied all season).

I say pass on Chowder. We have to go into this draft with the mindset that we will be drafting franchise LB'ers on Day 1, and not expecting to pick up stop gaps in FA. I'd love to have at least 1 offseason where we aren't the Yhhhaahhnkees (2007 was close).

Guest Aloysius

No matter how good Crowder looks, there's still the disconcerting question, "If Bill Parcells isn't willing to invest this guy, is it really smart for us to do so?"

I would love to know what's really holding the Dolphins back: his knee issues or character concerns. Reports were that the FO was very upset with Crowder when he got into that tussle with Matt Light during the second Pats game, so I'm guessing it's primarily the character stuff.

No matter how good Crowder looks, there's still the disconcerting question, "If Bill Parcells isn't willing to invest this guy, is it really smart for us to do so?"

I would love to know what's really holding the Dolphins back: his knee issues or character concerns. Reports were that the FO was very upset with Crowder when he got into that tussle with Matt Light during the second Pats game, so I'm guessing it's primarily the character stuff.

in the matt light incident, crowder was hit with a cheap shot and retaliated. should he have? the official line is that he shouldn't have, but hell yes he should have. he should have spiked matt light in the throat. light started that fight with a cheap shot while crowder was coming in to block a kick, then wrestled him to the turf after the play was over, then pulled his hair and hit him in the back of the head.

i'm not excusing it; it was a stupid play and a stupid thing to do. however, it's what i would expect an intense NFL player to in that situation. this is a game for 'roided up animals. there's no way i'd expect someone to back down in that situation, and i'd think less of someone who did.

aside from that incident, what other character concerns are there about crowder?

Guest Aloysius

He was arrested a couple times in college, but the main concern of the Dolphins seems to be that he's a goofy oddball who doesn't seem to care all that much. Kind of like the concerns about Maualuga.

i think the difference between crowder and maualuga is that channing's proven himself a productive NFL football player while rey, at this point, is pure potential.

it is interesting, and a bit concerning, that the dolphins would let him go after the impact he's had this past year, but it seems a bit more like a personal thing than anything about his performance. if it were based on his performance, then they'd definitely be bringing him back for the 2009 season.

it also seems that it might take a disciplinarian to keep him in line. though the dolphins' locker room, based on their performance, was far from fractured, it might take that tony-sparano-type guy to keep everyone in line and keep the team focused with crowder around.

it strikes me that he and winslow on the same team will either be best buddies who let their intensity and competitiveness on the field mesh together and motivate the rest of the team while bonding off the field, or they could kill each other.

however, like shep said, he hasn't been convicted of using a cell phone to broker a coke deal, hasn't smacked any women in nightclubs, hasn't killed anyone while driving drunk and hasn't been involved in any shootings that paralyzed strip club bouncers, so he's a model citizen by NFL standards.

Guest Aloysius
FINS MIGHT LOSE CROWDER

Posted by Mike Florio

Free agency opens a month from today, and the Miami Dolphins are facing the potential loss of one of their up-and-coming defensive players.

Middle linebacker Channing Crowder has completed his rookie contract, and he’s eligible to hit the market.

Absent a contract extension or the application of the franchise tag, he will. A league source says that the Fins aren’t expected to apply the franchise tender to Crowder.

What’s unclear at this point is whether the two sides will be able to work out a deal.

One of the knocks against Crowder, a four-year pro who played college football at Florida, is that he had a couple of knee surgeries in college. But he has appeared in 58 of 64 games during his NFL career, and he racked up 113 tackles in 2008.

As we hear it, Crowder’s camp believes that the Dolphins are lowballing him, which could result in Crowder heading to another city.

The free agent I'd like to see them go after is: Dunta Robinson.

Sure, there's some risk there, coming off the ACL. But he came back to play the end of the season, and he's still one of the best young corners in the game, playing in virtual anonymity down there in Houston with Andre Johnson and Mario Williams.

Robinson, Wright, McDonald, and Daniels. That's not too bad.

I don't see any WRs worth going after except for TJ Housh, and I don't see us spending big money there when we already blew that chunk on Stallworth. But we're going to need help there too.

Having Crabtree get past the Seahawks would be a nice gift. Not sure how much I love the receivers beyond him.

The free agent I'd like to see them go after is: Dunta Robinson.

Sure, there's some risk there, coming off the ACL. But he came back to play the end of the season, and he's still one of the best young corners in the game, playing in virtual anonymity down there in Houston with Andre Johnson and Mario Williams.

Robinson, Wright, McDonald, and Daniels. That's not too bad.

I don't see any WRs worth going after except for TJ Housh, and I don't see us spending big money there when we already blew that chunk on Stallworth. But we're going to need help there too.

Having Crabtree get past the Seahawks would be a nice gift. Not sure how much I love the receivers beyond him.

robinson is a quality player, no doubt. he's a tenacious hitter with good ball skills who also had elite speed before his injury. i'd be interested to have him run a 40 for comparison if only for for curiosity's sake. either way, he's still gonna be fast, but, if he lost a step, he'd just be really fast as opposed to blazing.

stats: in eleven games in 2008 (eight starts), he picked off two passes, made 38 tackles and swatted three passes. before he was injured in 2007 (nine games), he had two picks, swatted seven passes and made 34 tackles.

his best year was by far his rookie campaign, 2004, during which he notched 87 tackles (73 solo), defensed 19 passes, had three sacks, forced three fumbles and had six picks. following that year, it seems teams decided to test him far less often, though he still racked up similar tackle numbers (88, 83) in the following two seasons, seasons in which he started all sixteen games. in those two seasons, he also knocked down ten and twelve passes but totaled only three picks.

like heck said, he falls prey to the houston syndrome, where guys play well but no one notices because they play in an underexposed market. it also didn't help him gain notoriety that he missed twelve games over the past two years.

he's definitely someone to look into, and may come cheaper than he should because of the injury, which, by all accounts, has healed properly.

cutting donte stallworth would give us the money to go after housh. if that's the call, the FO has until march to get it done, when stallworth is due a $4.75 million roster bonus. it's also possible that we could see a DA-type deal where we eat some or all of the bonus to recoup a draft pick, though it's anyone's guess what the mercurial stallworth's value would be (a 4th or 5th, i'd say). in our favor, the next two years of his deal have base salaries of 745k and 1.5 mil, and a team could cut him after that if he doesn't perform.

@ masters: holly's a free agent. he's coming back, but it might not be for us.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived