THE BROWNS BOARD

Being a Younger Cleveland fan

jrb12711

After the Indians crappy loss last night, I found myself staring at the wall and just thinking about Cleveland fandom. Specifically, I think of my dad who just recently turned 54. He has strong Cleveland roots as my grandfather (his dad) played in the MLB for the Indians for a few years. He tells me stories all the time growing up in Newark pitching and eventually playing tOSU how cool it'd be to be a part of a Cleveland championship team. Well, like most guys he made the minors but blew his knee out and settled for a good army life. His dream regressed into just seeing one Cleveland team win a championship. He was technically alive when the Browns won in '64 but obviously has no real memories from that.

Flash forward to me growing up. I have two older brothers but long story short I inherited the Cleveland fandom 'gene'. My first real sports memory is the Browns in the playoffs against the Steelers. I can remember man this is exciting I can't wait to the see Browns do this again! Funny thought now though. Same with the Indians in '07 and the Cavs during the LeBron era. At the end of the day all those teams did was disappoint. The fact remains though that I'm 23, born in 1989. Not to be blunt, but the best years of my dad's life are behind him and he hasn't been a part of ONE Cleveland championship. It's been our dream since I was a little boy to go to a Finals game or a Super Bowl. I never thought in a million years that was something we may not get to experience before the Good Lord takes him.

What really prompted me to write this was basically at the end of the Tribe game last night, they started panning to older people in the audience. The common theme wasn't anger, it was honest to God depression. The reason I'm writing this is because I want to genuinely hear from the older people here on what this drought has meant to you. I just can't believe it's possible for me 30 years from now to not have a championship banner in my fan cave.

It's not fun, nor has it been.

No great words of wisdom, but all I can say is that when it does happen, after waiting so long and going through so much, it's going to be special.

The hope, and expectation is that once we get back there, we're going to be back there for good.

There were lots of mistakes and turmoil from different Ownerships for one that caused a majority of our problems.

Hopefully that Demon's been put to rest for good.

That's my view on it anyways.

After the Indians crappy loss last night, I found myself staring at the wall and just thinking about Cleveland fandom. Specifically, I think of my dad who just recently turned 54. He has strong Cleveland roots as my grandfather (his dad) played in the MLB for the Indians for a few years. He tells me stories all the time growing up in Newark pitching and eventually playing tOSU how cool it'd be to be a part of a Cleveland championship team. Well, like most guys he made the minors but blew his knee out and settled for a good army life. His dream regressed into just seeing one Cleveland team win a championship. He was technically alive when the Browns won in '64 but obviously has no real memories from that.

Flash forward to me growing up. I have two older brothers but long story short I inherited the Cleveland fandom 'gene'. My first real sports memory is the Browns in the playoffs against the Steelers. I can remember man this is exciting I can't wait to the see Browns do this again! Funny thought now though. Same with the Indians in '07 and the Cavs during the LeBron era. At the end of the day all those teams did was disappoint. The fact remains though that I'm 23, born in 1989. Not to be blunt, but the best years of my dad's life are behind him and he hasn't been a part of ONE Cleveland championship. It's been our dream since I was a little boy to go to a Finals game or a Super Bowl. I never thought in a million years that was something we may not get to experience before the Good Lord takes him.

What really prompted me to write this was basically at the end of the Tribe game last night, they started panning to older people in the audience. The common theme wasn't anger, it was honest to God depression. The reason I'm writing this is because I want to genuinely hear from the older people here on what this drought has meant to you. I just can't believe it's possible for me 30 years from now to not have a championship banner in my fan cave.

I just turned 24 a week ago today so I know where you're coming from. My father passed away two years ago and he said that 2007 was probably the last decent year of Browns football he would see. Sadly, he was right.

My grandfather played for the Dodgers and my uncle was drafted by the Reds and later pitched the A's so my family's sports allegiances lie scattered throughout the country, but my dad was a Cleveland fan through and through.

It saddens me to think that he never saw a Browns Super Bowl but I always tell my customers that it's statistically impossible for us to be so bad for so long, so the odds are in my favor of seeing one before I die.

The only thing that will upset me is that the bandwagon fans will show up after that.

I can't begin to imagine being 50-60 years old and still not having a Browns championship to hang my hat on.

I don't want that to happen to me. I'm 31, probly halfway through my life - and I think's it's absolutely possible the Browns don't win a Super Bowl in the next 30 years. I certainly hope that's not the case obviously. We needthis FO to take this franchise out of the gutter, build a consistent winner. That will be the start we need.

I just turned 24 a week ago today so I know where you're coming from. My father passed away two years ago and he said that 2007 was probably the last decent year of Browns football he would see. Sadly, he was right.

It saddens me to think that he never saw a Browns Super Bowl but I always tell my customers that it's statistically impossible for us to be so bad for so long, so the odds are in my favor of seeing one before I die.

The crazy part about your last statement is I'm sure that's what people have been saying for the past 50 years. I remember your post about your dad and I too worry about that situation happening to mine. As stated dad is 54 but really doesn't keep great care of himself. I obviously care a lot more about spending as much time with him as God gives me, but the thought of not sharing a Cleveland championship with him is just truly saddening to consider.

Sorry guys i'm not trying to be a debbie downer here but I'm just curious to get some more perspectives.

while we're on the subject, my cousin plays for the Angels right now (Chris Ianetta) and my great Uncle was an All American for Ohio Sate and played for the Cleveland Browns and Baltimore Colts as a D end, he died having a heart attack while playing racket ball with Don Shula (they were good friends), his name is Joe Campanella. but oddly, i took the tribes loss very easily last night. i usually go into a deep depression and just blankly stare for hours like you said, but blocking out the indians and spending hours reading and watching videos on the cavs and browns after the game eased me. stoked for cavs season and for this game tonight

It's very possible, but you will survive. Now, that being said, hopefully that doesn't happen.

The crazy part about your last statement is I'm sure that's what people have been saying for the past 50 years. I remember your post about your dad and I too worry about that situation happening to mine. As stated dad is 54 but really doesn't keep great care of himself. I obviously care a lot more about spending as much time with him as God gives me, but the thought of not sharing a Cleveland championship with him is just truly saddening to consider.

Sorry guys i'm not trying to be a debbie downer here but I'm just curious to get some more perspectives.

I'll be 54 in a couple of weeks.

I totally understand your feelings, as we've been dealing with a lot of really bad fortune when it comes to the Browns.

I hate to say you kind of get used to it, but to a degree you do (it still hurts, but you do), and when things do start turning around it takes a little longer to realize/recognize it.

On the other hand, after years of crap, you start picking out bright spots when things start to turn (like I think they are now), so maybe there's a lesson in there somewhere.

My grandfather played for the Dodgers and my uncle was drafted by the Reds and later pitched the A's so my family's sports allegiances lie scattered throughout the country, but my dad was a Cleveland fan through and through.

The only thing that will upset me is that the bandwagon fans will show up after that.

I can't begin to imagine being 50-60 years old and still not having a Browns championship to hang my hat on.

Why?

As far as I'm concerned the more Browns support the better.

Let them come.

The downside is theirs.

For those of us that have been with and supported this Team through the years, when the victory comes, we'll have earned it.

Not to sound all mushy or anything, but the greater joy will be ours.

God created Arrakis to train the faithful.

Maybe this applies also to Browns fans ;)

Archived