THE BROWNS BOARD

Cleveland Browns Next RB

tampadawgs

When people are saying dime a dozen i think they mean you can find them later in the draft. So you named two "studs" out of 32 starting NFL running backs, which isn't a very high percentage. Remind me again was McCoy drafted in the first round?

Edit just to add some numbers for first round running backs

In the past 10 years, there have been 29 running backs selected in the first round. Since 1,000 yards is the benchmark total by which fans and media alike judge running backs, let's see how many of these first-round backs were able to eclipse the 1,000-yard mark more than once:

2003: Willis McGahee, Larry Johnson (both with multiple 1,000-yard seasons)

2004: Steven Jackson, Chris Perry, Kevin Jones (only Jackson with multiple 1,000-yard seasons)

2005: Ronnie Brown, Cedric Benson, Cadillac Williams (only Benson with multiple 1,000-yard seasons)

2006: Reggie Bush, Laurence Maroney, DeAngelo Williams, Joseph Addai (Williams and Addai with multiple 1,000-yard seasons)

2007: Adrian Peterson, Marshawn Lynch (both with multiple 1,000-yard seasons)

2008: Darren McFadden, Jonathan Stewart, Rashard Mendenhall, Felix Jones, Chris Johnson (only Mendenhall and Johnson with multiple 1,000-yard seasons)

2009: Knowshon Moreno, Donald Brown, Chris "Beanie" Wells (none with multiple 1,000-yard seasons)

2010: C.J. Spiller, Ryan Mathews, Jahvid Best (none with multiple 1,000-yard seasons)

2011: Mark Ingram (no 1,000-yard seasons)

Of course, we cannot use last year's first-round selections at running back: Trent Richardson, Doug Martin and David Wilson, as they only have one season under their belt, but for the sake of this exercise, let's assume that all three will be able to eclipse the 1,000-yard total on multiple occasions, as that scenario seems plausible, especially in the case of Martin.

Including the three 2012 first-rounders, that makes 11 out of a possible 29 running backs that have or will have broken the 1,000-yard barrier on multiple occasions.

oh I NEVER SAID Draft this guy in the First round. LOL read my post he is projected 2nd-3rd round...When did I say draft a Running back in the First round? Matter fact I am the one who is really against drafting a RB in the 1st. All I said is RB are not a dime a dozen. I just really like this guy at RB reminds me of Martin and in our Sceme he could but up Mccoy type numbers. He will be there in the 2nd ,maybe third LOL

Trouble is, having a 1,000 yard back isn't meaningful at all as far as wins. Prior to last year, we'd been on a long Super Bowl streak between having ANY 1,000 yard backs. It's literally predictive of nothing.

Browns want backs who can run or catch on any down, not just 3rd like it's 1978. That's why they love Dion Lewis. They'll look to draft another one of those in round 2 or 3. Obie does both well, too. Hope he gets more carries tomorrow.

I'd look for Lewis, Obie, and a draft pick next year. Remember: The best teams are the teams with the best quarterbacks. And the teams with the best quarterbacks don't run a lot and plug backs in and out like spare parts. If you have a "franchise back" with enough carries to get 1,400 yards or so, it's usually because your QB isn't very good.

my prediction is between mcgahee and obieone we'll have at least 150 yds yards rushing and catch and run from those 2 guys tomorrow, i mean today (hiccup).

and between cameron and gordon and little we'll have at least 300 yds passing.

so between all that and benjamin returning kicks i see us having over 500+ yards offense.

book it baby!

edit: oh yeah which means four wins in a row. browns 34 lions 21.

Archived