THE BROWNS BOARD

Honest Recap of the Game?

jrb12711

I was driving back home during the game yesterday and basically had crappy audio to listen to only. I've seen highlights of the game and the stupid pass by Weeden to seal the loss. But I've been trying to read through the 14 Weeden sucks threads (which should be combined btw), and can't find answers so I'm hoping can fill in the gaps. Here's the questions I have in no particular order:

What went right in the first half to be up 10 exactly? I saw the first Weeden int and even though it sucks, it wasn't a 'bad' one IMO. He threw a jump ball and the defender made a pretty athletic play to get it. Seemed like the defense really shut down the Lions too.

Conversely, what went wrong in the 2nd half other than Weeden's terrible int? Through my broken audio I swear every time it was Reggie Bush on a dump down for a first down because we kept an LB on him. I think Weeden is garbage too but it really seems like the coaches made NO adjustments to stop the Lions. I'm just curious what you all saw out there.

Lastly, despite the God awful Int did Weeden really look that bad? I can't find the exact stats for the first half but it seems like he had a pretty decent first half and pathetic 2nd. Was it him or the play calling?

Bush had no targets in the first half. He had a bunch in the second half.

The Browns offense went 3-and-out 5 straight drives to start the second half.

We played nice, tight pass coverage in the first half, but the lack of a pass rush caught up with us in the second half, and Stafford got hot, and Bush was relentless.

You gotta give the Lions credit, they came after us in the second half, and were nearly flawless on offense.

Weeden had a couple nice scoring drives in the first half and made a few good throws, but held on to the ball too long and had no touch on short passes he drilled off of guys' fingertips. McGahee ran hard, Gordon was his usually fluid self all over the field, dropped one, but he is damn good. Cameron was catching short passes. Little made a great catch near the sideline, but they said he was out, looked like he got two feet down to me.

We gave up another big run to the side where Sheard would normally be, I think we really miss him. Mingo made some good, athletic plays, but still has a lot of rookie in him.

The defense got knifed in the second half, and the offense looks like a bunch of talented guys with a Tool leading them.

Zombo

Our Defensive secondary/LB coverage played poorly, particulary in the 2nd half. Detroits receivers are huge, the size difference really showed. Stafford made some great passes, showed what a real QB is.

We took some bad calls. Terrible PI's that were an abomination. Little completed a 2nd and 25, both feet were in. It got called OOB, was reviewed and htey didnt overturn it. We got screwed there, it was a huge possesion late in the 2nd half.

Dline played decent, stopped the run well enough for us to win.

Our line didnt lose the game for us, but got manhandled on more snaps than not.

Defense couldnt get off the field, O couldnt stay on.

Weeden is the worst QB in the NFL, his pathetic display cost us the game more than any other weakness we showed yesterday. Without some of his heinous pics they don't put up more than 17-24 points tops.

Weeden is an abomination.

We also had some shitty calls against us ... phantom pass interference against Haden and a roughing the passer against Groves when he 1) could not stop 2) did not wrap up the QB 3) did not put his head down or make helmet contact ... I guess you just can't touch a QB after he throws a pass anymore. Stafford laid there like he was inured, so that probably got the flag. Weeden got abused after some of his throws, but they didn't call it on them.

Zombo

--No excuse though, they beat us.

Yes, we got jobbed on the PI call that gave them 7pts when they should've had to settle for 3, but I counted 5 Lions dropped passes in the first half, and if they catch all of them it's a much different half time score.

Whatever the coaches said to the Lions at halftime worked because the dropped passes ended and the ass kicking began.............We went into halftime Superman and came out Clark Kent. Like usual.

I'm not sure on the Little play that was called out of Bounds, there just wasn't really a good vantage replay that I saw to make the call.

Someone posted this on another thread, this was on Bush's long run to the left (wasn't called) :

BWfhfMkCQAA2EIv.jpg

So, yeah, there were some really questionalble calls and non-calls.

Overall though, I'd say it was a Team loss - we just collapsed in the second half.

Thanks everyone, that really helps a lot. The biggest thing that frustrates me about the Browns is how much they freaking implode in the 2nd half of football games. I swear there has to be double digit examples of the Browns leading at half and losing over the past few seasons. I'm in no way a Weeden supporter but it's like the coaches say "holy crap! we're actually winning at halftime, just do the same crap and hope it keeps working!" It can't just fall on the QB position it seems.

Saw that hit on Groves and even though it's total bullshit any team in the NFL would get called for it. It's that stupid launching rule that's ruining the game of football.

Was Groves the roughing the passer call? As much as I don't like the call, I sit here all day on Sunday and watch every game and that gets called 10 times out of 10. It's not the hit that gets the penalty...its the fact that he drove him back like 5 yards and into the ground after the ball was gone.

It's a sissy league now. Can't hit anybody over the middle and can't touch the QB. If you saw the Jenkins hit on a Amendola yesterday that's exactly what I'm talking about. Goodell is ruining the fucking game. Not to mention 3 fucking games in London next year. WTF are they doing?

Seriously, you may as well make it flag football! As for London? Why? I can understand playing games in Toronto, or Mexico City, but why London?

Only two things to add:

• they wore our D down with long drives and our O could not put together any drives to allow them to recuperate; and
  • an undrafted, 6'7" rookie TE gave us match up problems... especially in the red zone.

Archived