THE BROWNS BOARD

NFL looking at SUH Hit

bermeck08

Dont remember which one... man, they are all over this punk.

Weeds must have suffered a concussion from the hit...why else toss the game away in the 4th qtr ?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9831174/nfl-reviewing-ndamukong-suh-hit-brandon-weeden

Bermeck (let me be the first to say it..."Suh didnt hit em hard enough"...yak yak yak)

They should review the penalites called by the bonehead referees, the NFL needs to fix the officiating consistency. I watched the stupid white haired ref throw the PI call on Haden at the start of the game. Even full speed, there was nothing even close to PI, he threw the flag, gives DET 7 points.

Officiating is ruining the integrity of the game. This was a perfect example of the Browns being negatively affected, theyre chances of winning being vastly diminished by horrid calls. Refs must maintain control of the game and its rules. Sunday at Cleveland they didnt do that. Unacceptable for pro officiating.

They should review the penalites called by the bonehead referees, the NFL needs to fix the officiating consistency. I watched the stupid white haired ref throw the PI call on Haden at the start of the game. Even full speed, there was nothing even close to PI, he threw the flag, gives DET 7 points.

Officiating is ruining the integrity of the game. This was a perfect example of the Browns being negatively affected, theyre chances of winning being vastly diminished by horrid calls. Refs must maintain control of the game and its rules. Sunday at Cleveland they didnt do that. Unacceptable for pro officiating.

i agree totally.

i know these guys go thru training and shit but some of the calls are just plain bad.

that's why CBs are going to be as important to the defense as the pass rusher. it's the hardest position to play right now behind, of course, the QB position. now you have to turn around and look for the ball while guarding a receiver tight or it's an automatic flag. you know what an advantage that gives the receiver? GTFO!

Suh fined $31,500 for hit on Weeden..

Great! ANOTHER fine for the dirtiest punk to ever hit the league. Totally "ball-less"! Between the incompetent refs & watered down handling of Suh over the last couple years, the NFL front office has lost their credibility with me. They need to quit worrying about overseas games & take care of business here. Just looking at some of the stuff Suh has done on a pretty consistent basis, are they going to wait until he paralyzes someone (or worse)? Suhs' ass should be out of the league. It's way past time to send a message & set an example that the NFL won't tolerate dirty play. IMHO, it's time to eliminate dirty players rather than throwing ridiculous rules out there that are penalizing players who simply play hard without cheap shotting.

Mike

Sorry, but if this was a dirty hit then there are no clean hits... at least not on the QB.

The ball was just out of Wheezy's hand... so was not a late hit...

The man's head is up...

He's not launched...

He did not wrap up and pull in...

Clearly this was a reputation fine.

suh-hit-weeden-nfl.jpg

Sorry, but if this was a dirty hit then there are no clean hits... at least not on the QB.

The man's head is up...

He's not launched...

suh-hit-weeden-nfl.jpg

i agree no dirty hit. maybe it was a little late, but that the only thing i could find wrong with this. puts his hands on him first, which means he was not leading with his helmet, and hits him in the chest. that's exactly what the league wants nowadays in the hit zone. hey he could have always gone after his knees which is totally legal now.

but he IS the dirtiest scumbag to play the game right behind lambert and butkus.

but he IS the dirtiest scumbag to play the game right behind lambert and butkus.

Agree that he's in a class by himself, but would compare him to Conrad Dobler... my gold standard for dirty players.

The man's head is up...

He's not launched...

suh-hit-weeden-nfl.jpg

LOL how F**king stupid can you be. You lead with your helmet and hit the QB its a penalty and your going to get fined its been that way for years. From the angle shown it doesn't look like the ref could have seen it. Whether or not you like the rule it is the rule.

LOL how F**king stupid can you be. You lead with your helmet and hit the QB its a penalty and your going to get fined its been that way for years. From the angle shown it doesn't look like the ref could have seen it. Whether or not you like the rule it is the rule.

Clearly not as stupid as you...

Or at least not as subjective.

That, my friend, is a picture perfect form tackle.

His head is up...

He is seeing what he is hitting...

No contact to Wheezy's head...

And clearly not below Wheezy's knees.

And where do you think his left shoulder is?

He is NOT leading with his helmet... period.

I guess the only solution left is to decapitate all defenders...

Problem solved!

Are you really this stupid

Clearly not as stupid as you...

Or at least not as subjective.

That, my friend, is a picture perfect form tackle.

His head is up...

He is seeing what he is hitting...

No contact to Wheezy's head...

And clearly not below Wheezy's knees.

And where do you think his left shoulder is?

He is NOT leading with his helmet... period.

I guess the only solution left is to decapitate all defenders...

Problem solved!

Are you really that fucking stupid he lead with his helmet and now he got fined plain and simple fucking moron.

Are you really that fucking stupid he lead with his helmet and now he got fined plain and simple fucking moron.

Maybe if you cuss and insult me a little more you'll persuade me...

Thanks for the link, Po...

Based upon the end zone shot and the way Wheezy was turing away, it looks to me like a pretty solid left shoulder shot...

Rick? Care to pull your head out of your ass and actually look at the play?

Or can try the cussing route again... your call Sparky...

I don't think that's the picture of the hit that he was fined for.

The one I saw on Yahoo, was the hit he had where he chased him out of the pocket, and rolled him over and slammed him into the ground and spun his helmet sideways. (I'd post a picture, but can't get to photobucket right now) Although if you read the article it talks about Suh spearing Weeden, but the picture is of the other play. Maybe they don't even know and just fine him randomly.

Here is the Yahoo link.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/report-lions-ndamukong-suh-fined-31-500-hit-213924834--nfl.html

(don't think that hit needed a fine either... just looked like there momentum carried them over like that)

I don't think that's the picture of the hit that he was fined for.

The one I saw on Yahoo, was the hit he had where he chased him out of the pocket, and rolled him over and slammed him into the ground and spun his helmet sideways. (I'd post a picture, but can't get to photobucket right now) Although if you read the article it talks about Suh spearing Weeden, but the picture is of the other play. Maybe they don't even know and just fine him randomly.

Here is the Yahoo link.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/report-lions-ndamukong-suh-fined-31-500-hit-213924834--nfl.html

(don't think that hit needed a fine either... just looked like there momentum carried them over like that)

i don't understand neither play was dirty. Neither got flagged. I'm still infuriated by tthe Groves flag at the end of the game. Complete and utter horseshit.

I normally just lurk, created an account just for this idiot. STFU and say something educated rather then throwing around insults.. It was a legal hit, the NFL won't be popular in 5-10 years, QB's will have on yellow jerseys and if you go within a five yard "buffer" zone of them you will be flagged. Such a joke

I normally just lurk, created an account just for this idiot. STFU before I find you and beat you senseless.. It was a legal hit, the NFL won't be popular in 5-10 years, QB's will have on yellow jerseys and if you go within a five yard "buffer" zone of them you will be flagged. Such a joke

It's too bad you didn't post earlier ... "Well Hung Smurf" would have looked good on the back of the Tailgate T-shirt.

Zombo

Firstly, everything Rich says is just wrong...so we know that it's not because he led with his helmet.

I can't recall specifically which hit it was, but any hit that takes Weeden to the ground after he releases the ball is technically considered illegal.

There is no longer a "buffer zone" of one or two steps.

If the ball is released and you take the QB to the ground, you can technically be called for roughing the passer.

It's a stupid rule, and it bit us in the ass with the Groves penalty, but the refs are within their rights to call it.

The NFL is becoming a joke. Sure, we need to eliminate as much risk as possible, but now they're messing with the integrity of the game.

Firstly, everything Rich says is just wrong...so we know that it's not because he led with his helmet.

I can't recall specifically which hit it was, but any hit that takes Weeden to the ground after he releases the ball is technically considered illegal.

There is no longer a "buffer zone" of one or two steps.

If the ball is released and you take the QB to the ground, you can technically be called for roughing the passer.

It's a stupid rule, and it bit us in the ass with the Groves penalty, but the refs are within their rights to call it.

The NFL is becoming a joke. Sure, we need to eliminate as much risk as possible, but now they're messing with the integrity of the game.

Ya know, I think truth be told the original intent of these rules weren't bad. Players who line themselves up like missiles to tackle was/is extremely dangerous and I'm fine with blatant occurrences being flagged. The problem is the NFL was put in a crappy situation with this concussion situation and are now forced to overreact to it in today's game. I don't ever blame the refs TBH on these borderline calls. The league is putting so much pressure on them to get those calls right throwing the flag and being wrong is better than the other way around. It's just unfortunate all the way around.

I agree if you hit someone like a "spear" and leave your feet that should be flagged. Suh hit with his hands, and hit to the chest. So how exactly is a defensive player supposed to hit a QB these days? Go low = flag, and now go for chest = flag. Maybe just grab their shoulders and gently "lay" them down. Another gripe is how many PI calls their are, whatever happened to let them battle for ball. But that's for another thread

Ya know, I think truth be told the original intent of these rules weren't bad. Players who line themselves up like missiles to tackle was/is extremely dangerous and I'm fine with blatant occurrences being flagged. The problem is the NFL was put in a crappy situation with this concussion situation and are now forced to overreact to it in today's game. I don't ever blame the refs TBH on these borderline calls. The league is putting so much pressure on them to get those calls right throwing the flag and being wrong is better than the other way around. It's just unfortunate all the way around.

The main problem is the fact that we keep adding padding to them.

What do you do when you feel like you're invincible? You take risks you normally wouldn't.

These guys fly around the field like projectiles because they can. It doesn't hurt to hit someone anymore. These pads and helmets are becoming luxury items. My shoulder pads in high school had a built in cooling system, for fucks sake.

I don't like Suh, but that wasn't a dirty hit. He has made so many however that he should be suspended or maybe banned by the NFL. Nothing wrong with a good hit, but purposely kicking someone in the nuts or slamming their head into the grass is dirty. The guy is a beast and probably won't make it till 40 years old.

I agree if you hit someone like a "spear" and leave your feet that should be flagged. Suh hit with his hands, and hit to the chest. So how exactly is a defensive player supposed to hit a QB these days? Go low = flag, and now go for chest = flag. Maybe just grab their shoulders and gently "lay" them down. Another gripe is how many PI calls their are, whatever happened to let them battle for ball. But that's for another thread

It's not so much about the initial hit as it is the continuation. In the picture posted previously, that was as clean a hit as you can really make. The problem (I'm assuming), was after the initial hit.

I posted the rule in another thread, but I don't feel like looking for it.

Essentially, it states that once a QB releases the ball and a defender takes him to the ground, it's illegal. If a defender makes contact after the ball is released, he must do everything possible to keep him and the QB upright. If he lands on him, flag. If he even takes him down and only part of him lands on the QB, flag. If he throws him down and doesn't land on him, flag.

It's a crap rule.

The main problem is the fact that we keep adding padding to them.

What do you do when you feel like you're invincible? You take risks you normally wouldn't.

These guys fly around the field like projectiles because they can. It doesn't hurt to hit someone anymore. These pads and helmets are becoming luxury items. My shoulder pads in high school had a built in cooling system, for fucks sake.

I won't argue with that either. Hell I didn't really disagree with JoePa when he get rid of facemasks. I guarantee a guy would think twice about launching himself when he might lose all his teeth in the process. Too bad that will never happen though.

Archived