THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns Sign Player with Torn ACL

bonedawg

via Deadspin:

Last week, the Cleveland Browns found themselves with a roster spot to fill after quarterback Brian Hoyer was placed on injured reserve. So like any savvy franchise, they went looking for talent on other teams' practice squads. They found rookie wide receiver Charles Johnson and signed him away from the Green Bay Packers. There's just one problem:
#Browns discovered torn ACL in knee of new WR Charles Johnson during intro physical. Will be placed on non-football injury list.
— Scott Petrak ct (@ScottPetrak) October 16, 2013
Big deal, right? Obviously this physical was conducted before the signing became official, and Johnson can simply be dropped back into the free-agent pool.
#Browns WR Charles Johnson to stay on 53-man roster until after #Chiefs game 10/27. Players signed off prac squads must be on 53 for 3 games
— Nate Ulrich (@NateUlrichABJ) October 16, 2013
Dawwwww, crabapples!

This is to garner inside knowledge of the Greenbay Gameplan. Who else would know all and be able to prepare than a PRACTICE SQUAD PLAYER? Nice move Browns. Savvy.

uh, no.

i'm wondering what the prognosis is of the injury i.e. when will he be ready to play. i mean unless they think he could be a guy that could stick around, why not fill the roster spot with let's say a kicker? a QB?

if not PO you might be a genious.

Maybe they had their eye on him as a possible UFA and with the decision to go with 2 QBs decided he was a good, temporary use of the roster spot...

NFL.com draft comment:

Round 7, Pick 10 (216) (From Titans through 49ers) Charles Johnson WR 6'2" 215 Grand Valley St. 50.4 Pick Analysis: Though he was not at the NFL Scouting Combine, the receiver made his mark at his pro day. He's a top-notch athlete with great hands.

And here's his pro day summary from:

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=94218&draftyear=2013&genpos=WR

Dates: 3/11/2013@GVSU GLIAC Pro Day
Height: 6020
Weight: 215
40 Yrd Dash: 4.39
20 Yrd Dash: 2.51
10 Yrd Dash: 1.53 225 Lb. Bench Reps: 14
Vertical Jump: 39 1/2
Broad Jump: 11'01"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.31
3-Cone Drill: 7.04
40 Time Range: 4.39-4.42

LOL. really we signed someone who cannot play this year?

Yup...

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/228073381.html

And the Packer visitor has answered...

http://thebrownsboard.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=27060&page=2&do=findComment&comment=361429

Looking at this whole situation I don't see how the Browns couldn't file a grievance of some sort. That seems like an incredibly stupid rule to have to put a player on your team without him passing a physical. That'd be like me failing a background check and still being able to work. How can that not be part of the signing process?

Archived