THE BROWNS BOARD

Cleveland Browns have two offers for Josh Gordon of a high pick and player, report says

JAFBF

I hope the FO has the same mindset as many of you... Gordon for a 1st and maybe more... I just think trading him does nothing to help this team, no matter what we get in return... But, if they are dead-set on trading him they will probably take a 2nd rounder which to me makes no sense at all...

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We're trading Gordon, we just picked up some scrub practice squad WR from the Dolphins named Brian Tyms.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/7993

Kid has had quite a rough upbringing. Nice blend of size and speed ... who knows?

http://www.sfgate.com/49ers/article/Rookie-wideout-Tyms-runs-toward-future-3791826.php

I loathed J-Fat. And I think just about anybody can miss. But the only sure way to NOT get a great quarterback is to stop trying. Really, the Browns haven't shopped from the top since Couch.

Stafford and Luck, like Peyton, were picked #1 overall. Ryan and RG3 were also top five.

The Browns will pick their guy in the top 5. It's a matter of whom.

Shep recent history makes it abundantly clear you do not have to draft top 5 to land your stud qb. So if we don't give up the ranch to move into the top 5 we're not trying?

About the worst thing you can do is reach for a quarterback if you need one, and the talent isn't there- Ponder\Gabbert. LOL, you think Weeden might possibly fall in that category too? It's going to be mighty crowded at the top this year with qb needy teams- and it's too early to speculate who will draft where. There's always surprise late risers, (and fallers) come the end of April.

And you happen to have a real bad tendency to seriously overrate damn near every college quarterback's pro potential.

we traded gordon?

or is this some misfit speculation?

I agree with Shep- we cut Gurley-man and signed this guy, churning the bottom of the roster. Now if we had kept Gurley, there might be some heat to the Twitterverse about trading Gordon. Seriously, we're going against an undefeated KC team on the road- Weeden has been playing like crap, so let's trade his #1 target so he can shit himself once again in the wost way possible.

man, i'm glad none of us our in banner and lombardi's shoes cuz we'd be the ragtime browns without one fucking good player on the team.

let's hope banner and lombardi don't know how to play the trombone, unless of course it's a rusty trombone.

Below is the Stats for WR this season so far by Yds per game. Gordon is in amongst what you would call all Elite recieves in this League, so why would anyone trade that assist away in the hope of getting another one anywhere like it. We took the risk on the kid with 2nd round pick in the supplemental draft and while he plays we have a WR we have not seen for many years, so suspension looming or not keep hold of him, and hope he stays clean for a couple of years so the Drug policy reverts back to as if he never been tested positive, and he will be starting with a clean slate, and hopefully by then he will realise what a oppurtunity he has been given to become a great WR in this league.

WRStats_zps6f82db8f.jpg

He has the highest first down percentage on that list, and he's probably the youngest guy on that list, and he probably has the biggest turd of a QB on that list

Size, speed, hands, ability, attitude ... Trade him!

Zombo

Hoorta, I'll skip the swipes because I know you're funnin', but I don't overrate every draftable QB. I think what you're reading is my clear commitment to the stone cold fact that the Browns won't be relevant until they have a legit "franchise quarterback."

Do you disagree? Do you think it's worked, going against the grain and trying to win with third round picks and castoffs? Are we as good as teams helmed by Rodgers, Stafford, Ryan, Wilson, Peyton, Brady, Brees, Flacco, Kaepernick, or even Alex Smith, truly a game manager but a very, very good one (with wheels)? Hell, we're not as good as teams with Cam Newton (heating up) or RG3 (rounding back into form).

No. Nobody is winning without a really good quarterback. Even Adrian Peterson can't carry a team without great quarterback play.

Where do most top QBs come from? The top 37 picks... and mostly the top 10 picks. When you're a doughnut team like we are, like last year's Chiefs, you do something dramatic. In a weak QB draft, the Chiefs went and got Alex Smith. The Bills got EJ Manuel and he looks for real. The Lions got Stafford and now they're contenders.

It's not about overrating QBs... it's about looking really, really hard to find one the classic way, at the top of the draft, and choose correctly. It's about knowing that we aren't likely to find a quality shortcut (this year, Mallett, Foles, or counting on Hoyer to become great). It's about NOT going the Frye-McCoy route and waiting to take McCarron or Murray later on. It's about recognizing that this IS an excellent QB draft with a handful of guys who would've gone ahead of Manuel last year.

The Browns are going to draft a quarterback very early. His name will be Bridgewater, Mariota, or Manziel. Possibly Carr, who just went 12th in USA Today's new mock, but I doubt it.

I say we use our top 5 picks on QBs. Were bound to find one that can play...We can even make a reality show about the competition. And we'll even have great trade bait for the future if more than 1 of em look competent.

Shit, if it lands us a franchise QB I'm ok with it.

Hoorta, I'll skip the swipes because I know you're funnin', but I don't overrate every draftable QB. I think what you're reading is my clear commitment to the stone cold fact that the Browns won't be relevant until they have a legit "franchise quarterback."

Do you disagree? Do you think it's worked, going against the grain and trying to win with third round picks and castoffs? Are we as good as teams helmed by Rodgers, Stafford, Ryan, Wilson, Peyton, Brady, Brees, Flacco, Kaepernick, or even Alex Smith, truly a game manager but a very, very good one (with wheels)? Hell, we're not as good as teams with Cam Newton (heating up) or RG3 (rounding back into form).

No. Nobody is winning without a really good quarterback. Even Adrian Peterson can't carry a team without great quarterback play.

Where do most top QBs come from? The top 37 picks... and mostly the top 10 picks. When you're a doughnut team like we are, like last year's Chiefs, you do something dramatic. In a weak QB draft, the Chiefs went and got Alex Smith. The Bills got EJ Manuel and he looks for real. The Lions got Stafford and now they're contenders.

It's not about overrating QBs... it's about looking really, really hard to find one the classic way, at the top of the draft, and choose correctly. It's about knowing that we aren't likely to find a quality shortcut (this year, Mallett, Foles, or counting on Hoyer to become great). It's about NOT going the Frye-McCoy route and waiting to take McCarron or Murray later on. It's about recognizing that this IS an excellent QB draft with a handful of guys who would've gone ahead of Manuel last year.

The Browns are going to draft a quarterback very early. His name will be Bridgewater, Mariota, or Manziel. Possibly Carr, who just went 12th in USA Today's new mock, but I doubt it.

Ya see that red Shep? That's exactly what I'm saying- so are a bunch of the other guys here. So I'm not disagreeing we need to find the stud qb somehow- I'm just disagreeing that you only find that guy in the top five. Can we agree on that? If we don't like what we see in Bridgewater (potential Vick II) or one of the others, you gonna blow a gasket because we sit at whatever spot we're at and take the QB there, instead of throwing away 3-4 picks moving up to take a question mark? Let's say we draft ninth. That's where Rothlisberger went- good enough for you? Not this ooh, ahh gotta be top 5 or we're screwed again. :)

BTW, I'm not averse to using one of the spare picks to move up if we deem it necessary- but no RG III sell the ranch move, thank you very much. We still don't totally know what we have in Hoyer either. he just might, possibly be good enough to start for a few years until we bring "the guy" along slowly ala Rodgers.

If we're offered a decent 1st round pick for him this is a no brainer, he's got to go. Anything less than that and we hold him for the season and see where things fall in FA next year. Niks is gonna be on the mkt next year so if we can land him, than Gordon becomes a very lucrative asset to shop around. Skinsfan can get out of here with that Cousins talk.....We saw Kirk Cousins light it up for what, 2-3 games. One of those teams was the browns were they not? Torching a shurmur team is not impressive....neither is anything that isn't a full season of teams specifically gaming for one guy. If we had seen that from Cousins, fine. If Wa wants to give up that 1st rounder for Gordon, fine...but they're not cause they're goin after Clowney in the draft.

Cincy is doing fine with the qb they have. They do have weapons. And the rbs. and the wr's...especially Green.

Shep, I just want the Browns, now that they have a staff that will draft the right guy.....

to draft the right guy where they think he should be drafted.

It isn't WHERE the qb is drafted, as much as who they draft. Maybe the right qb for the Browns is the

kid at Stanford. I personally think it might be Mariota. Maybe not. Maybe not even Bridgewater, definately not

Boyd or Hundley, in my goofy opinion. And Manziel? I still say NO in capital letters that I can't use on this board.

However, after watching Manziel play on a banged up shoulder, that kid is fast, tough as nails, has the fire to win,

smart, and decisive. But, he does make mistakes, and off the field... I still don't think he's the guy, either.

There isn't a Luck or Stafford in this draft. Bridgewater is very smart. But I don't see throwing

several picks into the wind in a trade up to get him. Personally, I'm pretty keen on Sean Mannion,

who will probly' stay in school.

This is a very, very smart staff. They will know the guy that is perfect for them to draft, and if they

trade up, it will be the right decision. Yes, chances are that the guy the Browns really want will also

be wanted early on, and they may make that trade up. But for the eh...first time? ...it won't be

just because some kid looked really good in college, and great on paper. Like Quinn and Weeden.

The # of qb's being in the limelight lessens the huge trade up price, I think.

Should be a fascinating draft next year.

That's about how I feel, Cal. I think Banner/Lombardi/Chud understand the NFL in 2013/14, unlike a brass that would trade up to draft a running back at #3 (ouch). I absolutely think they're set on getting a very serious quarterback in the draft and I don't think they'll shop in the discount aisle.

Will they stay put at 8 because they like Manziel or Mettenberger? Or will they do whatever it takes to get Mariota or Bridgewater? As they say in Moonrise Kingdom, "Who's to say?" But my gut says Chud wants a guy who can move, turn a broken play into a first down once in a while. I think we're going to get real horny for Mariota with a plan to let him watch Hoyer for a little while. If a Brees-Rivers sitch develops, that's what's known as a White People Problem.

Could change. Also might not be a possibility. Assuming Mariota comes out (he will), he and Bridgewater are top three with Clowney, almost a lock if they stay healthy.

Mettenberger isn't mobile but he does have something Weeden lacks: He's accurate all over the field.

That's about how I feel, Cal. I think Banner/Lombardi/Chud understand the NFL in 2013/14, unlike a brass that would trade up to draft a running back at #3 (ouch). I absolutely think they're set on getting a very serious quarterback in the draft and I don't think they'll shop in the discount aisle.

Will they stay put at 8 because they like Manziel or Mettenberger? Or will they do whatever it takes to get Mariota or Bridgewater? As they say in Moonrise Kingdom, "Who's to say?" But my gut says Chud wants a guy who can move, turn a broken play into a first down once in a while. I think we're going to get real horny for Mariota with a plan to let him watch Hoyer for a little while. If a Brees-Rivers sitch develops, that's what's known as a White People Problem.

Could change. Also might not be a possibility. Assuming Mariota comes out (he will), he and Bridgewater are top three with Clowney, almost a lock if they stay healthy.

Mettenberger isn't mobile but he does have something Weeden lacks: He's accurate all over the field.

Okay, and I'll ask you again:

What makes Mariota the best guy to turn a broken play into a big gain? He rarely faces pressure. He doesn't shake off hits and normally goes down at first contact. He doesn't stay behind the line of scrimmage once the play breaks down.

I'm sorry, I just don't get your infatuation and you've yet to even attempt to prove me wrong on this points.

Archived