THE BROWNS BOARD

Bart Scott

Guest Aloysius

Guest Aloysius

Here's a scouting report I put together on another LB we may be targeting in free agency:

Bart Scott, LB, Baltimore

Strengths:

Elite speed and acceleration...Great at covering TE's, even slot receivers...Subtly stout against the run, making plays behind the line of scrimmage and on goal line stands..Good at timing his blitzes for the snap...Possesses good agility and is able to avoid cut blocks...Solid wrap-up tackler...Versatile enough to play any linebacker spot

Weaknesses:

Very strong and sheds blocks well, but his lanky frame can work against him, especially when battling linemen in small areas...Repertoire of pass-rush moves is limited...Kind of guy who gets a lot of QB pressures but very few sacks...Doesn't always react quickly to RB cutbacks...Sometimes runs full-speed ahead and doesn't spot the ball carrier...Can get overemotional and draw personal foul penalties

Conclusions:

Talented and extremely versatile linebacker would be a fit on virtually any team, but he won't be as productive in a vanilla 3-4 defense. His success in Cleveland would be dependent on Rob Ryan deploying him a manner similar to how his brother used him in Baltimore, allowing Scott to cover TE's, rush off the edge, and be aggressive in the center of the field.

Also, Scott's wild personality may not make him the type of player Mankok covets. But it's hard to argue that bringing in Scott wouldn't amount to a significant upgrade of our LB core. He & Crowder would both be solid FA additions.

Here's a scouting report I put together on another LB we may be targeting in free agency:

Please please please NO! just watching him play i've seen him give up on plays and at times avoiding any contact whatsoever. He seems very soft to me and we don't have the defense to overcome his sometimes uninterested style. I see Rudd when I see him in a browns uniform, in a bad way.

Guest Aloysius

When I watched some film, I was actually surprised by how physical Scott was. He got pushed around a little bit in the Titans game but otherwise did a good job in the run game.

However, I do think he'd be better off playing 4-3 OLB. His personality/control issues may prevent it from happening, but I could see him being a perfect fit on a team like Kansas City. With Derrick Johnson playing well at MLB down the stretch (18 tackles & 3 TFL's in the last two games), Scott could come in and play one of the OLB spots. Demorrio Williams could battle a rookie for the other linebacker spot.

Arguably, the best thing about the Chiefs signing Scott would be that it'd make it less likely that they'd take Curry at 3. Perhaps that's motivating my analysis...

If we lost out on Curry... who do you like at ILB and OLB along with Wimbley and Jackson? Through f/a or the draft?

Trade down and get Cushing and Mathews and instant continuity in the LB corp.

Guest Aloysius

We'll have to decide before the draft whether to sign guys like Crowder and Scott, so the calculation is a little different: it's about whether we should go ahead & sign one of these guys or wait until the draft to add a ILB & hope Curry falls to us.

I'd rather have Curry over Scott & Crowder, and signing one of them would likely result in us passing on Curry (unless Mangini doesn't like DQ, which is a possibility). That's why the Barton idea made a lot of sense - get a veteran who could start or back up, depending on whether Curry's available at #5.

Unfortunately, it looks like Barton would be an adequate starter at best. We could still go that route, but we could end up having a terrible run defense if the Chiefs take Curry.

So I'm pretty much undecided at this point. A lot will depend on how expensive guys like Crowder, Scott, and Dansby would be.

Guest Aloysius

There aren't any great options. Then again, I don't particularly like the 1st Round OLB options either.

Bertrand Berry and Greg Ellis (expected to be cut) would be two veteran pass-rushers we could bring in. I like both, but I'd prefer Ellis.

Jason Hunter (RFA, Green Bay) would be a good developmental option. But with Green Bay switching to a 3-4, I expect they'll have the same idea.

Here's my problem with Bart Scott: Baltimore got his best years. We gotta quit relying on other's sloppy seconds and grow our own. I'm not saying stay out of the free agent market, but delve in for mid-level complimentary players that fit our needs, not splashy high-priced guys.

If you watch Pittsburgh through the years, they have no problem letting a guy walk, maybe even a year or two before they should, if he's due for a big contract and they have already gotten their best years from them. Sure, Joey Porter had a great year in Miami, but Pittsburgh plugged somebody else in and is going to the Super bowl without him. Pittsburgh got Earl Holmes best years from him, and then we paid him. That's just stupid.

If we have to languish for a couple years as we try and fill needs through a draft that Savage punctured holes in, so be it, but there are good, quality, "no-name" free agents every year that can fill holes without overpaying and endangering your cap space. I actually think we are already an 8-8 team with a solid draft and a few role players ... so with a few lucky bounces, staying healthy and some good coaching we could be well on our way.

Bart Scott made his name in Baltimore, and now someone else is going to pay him for that. And yes he's a good player, but Baltimore got the best tread. I think the prudent thing is to see what we can come out of in the draft, and then fill the remaining holes with solid mid-level NFL players that fit the system. Not go into the draft thinking ... oh we can pass up the linebacker if we need to and then just sign Bart Scott

Zombo

Scott is still on the upside of his carreer as a 7 year veteran. He isn't the product of the players around him. When Ray Lewis was hurt last year (2007) Scott took over the middle of their defense and had his best year as a pro. So, please don't think this guys tank is half empty.

What I like also is that he plays mean, with a chip on his shoulder. Maybe he would inspire our vanilla defense to start kicking some butt. Team him with Everette Brown as a pass rushing OLB and you have a defense that teams would have to stand up and notice.

Scott has about the same physical build as Curry, is proven as a run stopper and can cover TEs and RBs out of the backfield. Sorry, to all the doubters, but the man can play. His presence as the SILB would make Jackson all that much better and might even help Wimbley. It certainly would change the attitude of our defense.

Can Curry come in and make the same impact that Scott would make?

Plus, you still have your #1 pick to get a pass rusher or take the best player available.

Guest Aloysius

Scott's a bit lankier than Curry, and I don't think he's as strong.

With Curry, you'd get a guy who'll be a little bit better battling with lineman in small spaces and possibly a better overall run-stuffer. However, I don't think Curry's quite as quick as Scott - very few linebackers are.

Scott's a bit lankier than Curry, and I don't think he's as strong.

With Curry, you'd get a guy who'll be a little bit better battling with lineman in small spaces and possibly a better overall run-stuffer. However, I don't think Curry's quite as quick as Scott - very few linebackers are.

I think Curry and Scott are both 6' 2" and about the same weight. Scott is very good at getting off blocks and has been very good against the run.

Do you think Curry would be worth Scott and Brown or Maybin. Because I believe Scott and Curry are very simular and if you get Scott you still have your draft pick to trade down or take that pass rusher or even Jenkins. Then you can take the best player available in round 2. Rashard Jennings or a Center.

Guest Aloysius

Scott's listed at 240, but I suspect he weighs less than that. Curry's listed at 246; we'll see what he weighs in at at the Combine.

They are somewhat similar players, but one of them is a little crazy. That may be something that scares away Mankok.

Here's my problem with Bart Scott: Baltimore got his best years. We gotta quit relying on other's sloppy seconds and grow our own. I'm not saying stay out of the free agent market, but delve in for mid-level complimentary players that fit our needs, not splashy high-priced guys.

If you watch Pittsburgh through the years, they have no problem letting a guy walk, maybe even a year or two before they should, if he's due for a big contract and they have already gotten their best years from them. Sure, Joey Porter had a great year in Miami, but Pittsburgh plugged somebody else in and is going to the Super bowl without him. Pittsburgh got Earl Holmes best years from him, and then we paid him. That's just stupid.

If we have to languish for a couple years as we try and fill needs through a draft that Savage punctured holes in, so be it, but there are good, quality, "no-name" free agents every year that can fill holes without overpaying and endangering your cap space. I actually think we are already an 8-8 team with a solid draft and a few role players ... so with a few lucky bounces, staying healthy and some good coaching we could be well on our way.

Bart Scott made his name in Baltimore, and now someone else is going to pay him for that. And yes he's a good player, but Baltimore got the best tread. I think the prudent thing is to see what we can come out of in the draft, and then fill the remaining holes with solid mid-level NFL players that fit the system. Not go into the draft thinking ... oh we can pass up the linebacker if we need to and then just sign Bart Scott

Zombo

You actually get it!! Why do ALL fans of every Team in the NFL think over-paying for some high priced FA is going to fix their Team's problems .Build through the draft and re-sign your own ,,,fill in with role players as needed via Free Agency.That's how you build consistancy and build a winner ..Bart Scott is going to get some serious cash ..his impact will not back up his contact IMO no matter where he goes ..Draft your Defense ..The Brown's are more than one or two players away on that side of the ball

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Aloysius

Here's PFW's scouting report on Scott:

Ravens ILB Bart Scott (UFA)

By Mike Wilkening

Feb. 16, 2009

Notes: The 6-2, 240-pound Scott played safety and linebacker at Southern Illinois, notching 352 tackles in three collegiate seasons. The Ravens signed him as an undrafted free agent in 2002, and he became an immediate special-teams contributor before working his way into the lineup on defense in '05. In four seasons as a defensive starter in Baltimore, Scott notched 370 tackles, 18 passes defensed and 16 sacks. His best season came in '06, when he made 103 tackles and registered 9½ sacks and two interceptions. Scott, who will turn 29 on Aug. 18, is entering his eighth NFL season.

Strengths: Scott has very good range for an inside linebacker and has been strong vs. the run and the pass in his time as a starter. He boasts sharp instincts and has benefited from starting four seasons in a defense known for its schematic flexibility and its ability to keep opposing offenses off balance. Scott spent the past seven seasons learning from Ray Lewis and would be a good mentor to a younger inside linebacker. He has not been much of a pass-rush threat the past two seasons, but he showed a real affinity for getting after the quarterback in '06 and also flashed the ability to even rush off the edge in certain packages. He was durable in his time as a starter on defense, playing every game from 2005-08.

Weaknesses: Scott has been more steady than spectacular in each of the past two seasons. What's more, his solo tackle numbers have dropped the past two seasons. His emotions can get the best of him: He was flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct after throwing an official's flag in a '07 loss to New England.

Risk factor: Moderate. A productive member of a sometimes-dominant Ravens defense, Scott could give the ILB corps of a 3-4 defense an immediate boost both as a player and a leader. The risk with Scott is that his production may be inflated from playing in such a strong defense for the last several seasons, but with more and more teams turning to the 3-4 front, he is likely to be paid handsomely in free agency.

Trade down and get Cushing and Mathews and instant continuity in the LB corp.

I like that one as well.

With as starved as our LBs are for talent I'd be willing to take 2 late first to second rounders in exchange for a top 5 and fill 2 of the 3 holes we've got there.

Guest Aloysius

Crowder may be a no because of character & durability concerns. Scott, on the other hand, simply may be too pricey.

And watch out for Ricky Brown. If Oakland doesn't give him a high tender, we could end up going with him instead.

To keep it simple... he's good. He's a player. He's a HUGE upgrade over Andra Davis, mostly because he can move, which was our problem in a boiled down nutshell. He has to be seen as a serious possibility, and with Kokinis, he makes sense.

Based on the leak that Mangini would like a veteran next to Jackson, you have to put Scott and Crowder high on the list... partially because I don't see a great pass rusher out there in f/a. But there are pass rushers in the draft.

I'd actually like to see someone on this defense with an attitude. A little nasty may be what we need.

Archived