THE BROWNS BOARD

Global warming is real.

blowe

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it gets hot again does that mean its real?

This post says no, probably not.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2436710/Met-office-proof-global-warming-pause-climate-summit-confirms-global-temperature-stopped-rising.html

So does this one. It even suggests we may be headed to another major cool down.

http://www.longrangeweather.com/global_temperatures.htm

Were you here to argue a point or to make your cheap $.02 shot and then disappear?

We've been down the climate change hole enough on these boards...

... they always seem to end the same way and whatever conspiracy theories people have will stay... and whatever resistance towards actual scientific documents will stay...

it ain't worth it

And woody just bitches and bitches and bitches without having

anything of substance to add to the discussion.

There's a very serious trend there....

We've been down the climate change hole enough on these boards...

... they always seem to end the same way and whatever conspiracy theories people have will stay... and whatever resistance towards actual scientific documents will stay...

it ain't worth it

I believe certain politicians back the idea of global warming being an issue in order to appeal to people who feel the same way regardless to whether or not it's actually true. I don't think it's some grand conspiracy. We as humans tend to overreact because we forget how short our lifespans are in the grand scheme of Earth and the universe. Just because it has gotten warmer lately does not mean anything, and according to some we may be headed to a period of colder weather. The Earth's temperature fluctuates constantly and I say all this because I feel like the global warming alarmists are overreacting over what will end up being nothing at all.

Doesn't hurt to look into it, but I don't think we need so much focus on it. Thankfully the issue has taken a backseat lately

My original post was just supposed to be funny due to the fact that it's October and we saw up to 8 inches of snow in some places. Fucking Cleveland am I right?

You both are pretty much broken records. I just tend to agree with you sometimes; There's the difference.

You both are pretty much broken records. I just tend to agree with you sometimes; There's the difference.

He doesn't get it

And yeah, I'm in AA but I heard schools were closed in the area and I was like holy shit, that's crazy

I realize you were making a joke, but jokes like that are lost on a large portion of this board. Just saying

I would think because our lifespans are so small compared to the history of the earth we would do the opposite of overact. We won't see the true consequences of our actions.

I also do not think climate change is a thing because my political party does; I don't affiliate with a party. I tend to agree with the way the scientific community feels. I can't say I understand all of it, but I'm a smart guy. At the same time, if there was some revolutionary data that completely flipped everything on its head, I wouldn't ignore it.

Seriously, this is getting old. You are a hypocritical idiot... you are a gullible sap... you sit at your computer and I don't understand how you dress yourself each morning...

You political party, it doesn't even matter. You as a person, how you think, what you type... it is comical. You should just be a character embodying some ridiculous, exaggerated ideal... not a real person

This post says no, probably not.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2436710/Met-office-proof-global-warming-pause-climate-summit-confirms-global-temperature-stopped-rising.html

So does this one. It even suggests we may be headed to another major cool down.

http://www.longrangeweather.com/global_temperatures.htm

Were you here to argue a point or to make your cheap $.02 shot and then disappear?

If you're trying to make a valid point, please never ever reference the daily mail. Of all the fear-mongering, ultra conservative, xenophobic papers in this country, it is easily the worst. There's even a website with a script that generates its sensationalist headlines:

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/

Here are a few for reference:

WILL BRUSSELS INFECT THE MEMORY OF PRINCESS DIANA WITH AIDS?

ARE THE POLES KILLING YOUR PETS?

WILL THE NANNY STATE MAKE YOUR CHILDREN OBESE?

HAS FACEBOOK KILLED ENGLAND?

I believe certain politicians back the idea of global warming being an issue in order to appeal to people who feel the same way regardless to whether or not it's actually true. I don't think it's some grand conspiracy. We as humans tend to overreact because we forget how short our lifespans are in the grand scheme of Earth and the universe. Just because it has gotten warmer lately does not mean anything, and according to some we may be headed to a period of colder weather. The Earth's temperature fluctuates constantly and I say all this because I feel like the global warming alarmists are overreacting over what will end up being nothing at all.

Doesn't hurt to look into it, but I don't think we need so much focus on it. Thankfully the issue has taken a backseat lately

My original post was just supposed to be funny due to the fact that it's October and we saw up to 8 inches of snow in some places. Fucking Cleveland am I right?

Not only Cleveland, but anywhere in the Great Lakes where there is lake effect. I live in North Royalton and didn't see a flake. The east side saw the action.

While we can quantify our output measured in carbon or whatever gas is causing the problem this week, we really can't quantify it's effect on our earth because of the small window of time in the earth's 6bil some odd year life.

Does this mean we shouldn't look for alternatives to fossil fuels? No. But it also doesn't mean we should stop using FF completely tomorrow either. Just think about what grid you're plugging your Tesla into. Or the fact that producing the battery for your prius has more environmental impact than producing an entire conventional car. 75k miles is where I believe the break even point began in terms of net environmental impact (production + usage).

You will never convince a disbeliever that there is Global warming on a cold day, just like you will never convince a believer on a hot day.

It would be neat to see if we are actually on just a global cycle, though imo it is still best to invest in more green type energy and to keep up on preventing pollution saw this the other day http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/23/world/asia/china-beijing-smog-emergency-measures/index.html?hpt=ias_c2 and wonder how long till China creates an EPA like agency to start preventing this.

Beijing looks to be basically what London was like in the 19th century with the pea soupers. Get it cleaned up, get clean energy, everybody wins...

<cynicism>

...except those people whose sole means of making money is through fossil fuels...

</cynicism>

You both are pretty much broken records. I just tend to agree with you sometimes; There's the difference. Blowe

Well, sure, not even I can creatively come up with different ways to explain to woodypeckerhead that

he doesn't add much to the forum. It's fall, and I've been really busy.

Back to the funny about gw.... it's near the end of Oct., and Indian Summer will happen later on,

maybe in a few weeks or so...

Funnier, to me, is that we've been burning up firewood already - it's been in the mid thirties...and only

late Oct? Weather just changes. I remember I got my first real shotgun in the fifth grade. I followed the hints in

some small presents, and had to figure out it was in the back of my parent's car. so, I walked outside in jammies

and a tshirt - it was about 70 degrees. More and more, scientists are backing off being labled as mmgw supporters.

Weather cycles, regardless of the benefits of paying serious attention to pollution, or not.

But labeling CO2 as a poison really discredited the got nothin woody's of the ignorant support for mmgw movement.

But cold weather is really hitting early this year. Weather changes go in cycles.

Who say mmgw is no fact. Read up for the first time.

Meanwhile, Christmas is a-comin, and our favorite show folks,

Duck Dynasty - Robertsons... are coming out with a new Christmas album.

We're going to visit my Father-in-law in Texas, by way of where the Duck Dynasty

factory is, and families live. But I already have an Uncle Si duck call.

Real science is SI-entology. Jack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8Jhp73hPYk&feature=player_embedded

We've been over this... I'm not saying you can't find a handful that hand out on your side of the fence. I'm just standing with the vast majority.

Over/Under on how many "War on Christmas" threads you make?

Actually at one point in our history the round earth scientists were in the minority. Anyway Woodrow let's say you're right. We're all gonna die. And what are we gonna do about it? Nothing? I'm in...

WSS

I know I'm going to regret posting this, but more snow actually supports global warming theory.

Please go put a pot of water on the stove set on low , hold a piece of glass over it for ten minutes, and then stick it in the freezer.

Do the same with another piece of glass, but set the stove on high.

Guess which piece of glass will have more frost on it?

A warmer planet means more water evaporating into the atmosphere, which means more snow and earlier snowfall as our neck of the woods approaches winter.

He doesn't get it

And yeah, I'm in AA but I heard schools were closed in the area and I was like holy shit, that's crazy

I realize you were making a joke, but jokes like that are lost on a large portion of this board. Just saying

I would think because our lifespans are so small compared to the history of the earth we would do the opposite of overact. We won't see the true consequences of our actions.

I also do not think climate change is a thing because my political party does; I don't affiliate with a party. I tend to agree with the way the scientific community feels. I can't say I understand all of it, but I'm a smart guy. At the same time, if there was some revolutionary data that completely flipped everything on its head, I wouldn't ignore it.

I'm not referring to you thinking a certain way because of politics. I'm talking about politicians who choose a side or refuse to support another side because it doesn't suit their party's beliefs is just ridiculous and makes me think of our government as a hopeless bunch of idiots. I cannot think of specific examples but you would believe this happens often.

I believe we must remain vigilant in researching the climate we live in, and maybe you're right about us not realizing the consequences of our actions. Maybe we're all just overreacting. Time will tell

I know I'm going to regret posting this, but more snow actually supports global warming theory.

Please go put a pot of water on the stove set on low , hold a piece of glass over it for ten minutes, and then stick it in the freezer.

Do the same with another piece of glass, but set the stove on high.

Guess which piece of glass will have more frost on it?

A warmer planet means more water evaporating into the atmosphere, which means more snow and earlier snowfall as our neck of the woods approaches winter.

Makes sense to me. Like I was saying though we may be just at another peak about to dip down into a global cool down. I'm not sure if there's any way of telling

If you're trying to make a valid point, please never ever reference the daily mail. Of all the fear-mongering, ultra conservative, xenophobic papers in this country, it is easily the worst. There's even a website with a script that generates its sensationalist headlines:

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/

Here are a few for reference:

WILL BRUSSELS INFECT THE MEMORY OF PRINCESS DIANA WITH AIDS?

ARE THE POLES KILLING YOUR PETS?

WILL THE NANNY STATE MAKE YOUR CHILDREN OBESE?

HAS FACEBOOK KILLED ENGLAND?

I didn't bother reading anything else on the website and was ignorant to that. It was a link somebody else sent me. Thank you

Actually at one point in our history the round earth scientists were in the minority. Anyway Woodrow let's say you're right. We're all gonna die. And what are we gonna do about it? Nothing? I'm in...

WSS

This is literally the same post you make on every global warming thread, and it doesn't get any more clever each time...

Science builds on itself over time. Sure, what we know now is way more than what we knew hundreds of years ago. And hundreds of years from now we'll know way more than what we know now. That doesn't mean we'll be making complete 180s on the scientific theories and beliefs of today. We'll just continue to build on them, and edit them one way or another to whatever supports the new findings.

and on the flat earth thing...

"During the early Middle Ages, virtually all scholars maintained the spherical viewpoint first expressed by the Ancient Greeks. From at least the 14th century, belief in a flat Earth among the educated was almost nonexisten"

"The paradigm of a spherical Earth was developed in Greek astronomy, beginning with Pythagoras (6th century BC), although most Pre-Socraticsretained the flat Earth model. Aristotle accepted the spherical shape of the Earth on empirical grounds around 330 BC, and knowledge of the spherical Earth gradually began to spread beyond the Hellenistic world from then on.[2][3][4][5]

The misconception that educated Europeans at the time of Columbus believed in a flat Earth, and that his voyages refuted that belief, has been referred to as the Myth of the Flat Earth.[6] In 1945, the misconception was listed by the Historical Association (of Britain) as the second of 20 in a pamphlet on common errors in history.[7]"

So back before science was actually a thing, yeah, people thought the Earth was flat. The same people that though a sun god ruled the day or that a magical being in the sky made everything (well, that still exists i guess...)

On your second "point", what do you mean I'm saying we're all gonna die? Eventually, yeah, we'll all die. Does that mean we should fuck the generations after us. I know the older folk here like to blame the gosh darn younger generation for everything, but I'd really like to not fuck the world up for them any more. As far as climate change goes, are you suggesting there is nothing we ca do, so fuck it? That's stupid. Obviously if we set this whole thing in motion we have the power to affect it. On an individual level, probably not a whole lot we can do. Make some sacrifices here and there, vote for congressman and policies that support protecting the environment, etc. Real changes come from the large policy changes are govt and the world would make to promote green energy, less pollution, etc etc. So saying we are all going to die so fuck doing anything is pathetic. We as a society would be better off working to improve the situation, and help out future generations.

Woody I post the same response because you guys post same opinion over and over. Cal puts up story stating that some scientist believe global warming is bullshit. Then some other guys squawk that global warming is real and circumstances are dire because, like, scientists are cool and stuff.

I don't know if you are old enough to remember Al Gore and his predictions for the end of the world which have by now come and gone. Those opinions came from scientists too.

Our old friend heck often told us stories about how we had merely a few years left unless something very substantial was done. Well nothing substantial was done and furthermore nothing substantial is likely to be done as deadlines come and go.

Frankly whether or not these predictions are accurate or consensus or whatever it's always a good idea to follow the money. Sure the oil companies are going to hire scientist to downplay the situation but the biggest amount of money goes to the pockets of the politicians in countries who stand to make a huge windfall if the United States of America is forced to hand over billions and billions for their environmental crises.

So keep in mind that I'll probably give same response to the next round of reports that the sky is indeed falling.

If there is still a planet in five more years then, well, somebody was at least exaggerating...

WSS

Archived