Which is the Better Linebacker

Solon16

Who is a better linebacker  

24 members have voted

1. 1. andra davis or Patrick Willis

• Patrick Willis
    • Andra Davis

Guest Masters

LMFAO.... Jesus dude. I feel honored that you'd go to this length. Of course if you had reading comprehension skills, you'd understand I never said Davis was better. Just that neither is truly an impact LB at the SILB in a 3-4.

But if you need to go to this length to feel better about yourself, have at it.

By the way, I voted for Willis :P

Guest Masters
Doesn't Willis play WILB? I thought Takeo Spikes played SILB.

He played SILB last year I think. This year he did indeed play WILB.

My only point w/ a previous comment was that Willis, Jackson, or Davis (not to mention I was comparing year 1 in the 3-4 vs. year 1 in the 3-4) all are making tackles 5 yards off the LOS. Willis last year and this didn't have many tackles for a loss. Which is hardly being an impact. player or that stuffer guy at SILB.

Guest Masters
Davis has always gotten deceptively high TFL numbers for a crummy linebacker. He had 6 this year.

I wouldn't ever say he is or was a crummy LB. To me he has just been asked or expected (mostly by CLE fans) to be more than he is. The only reason I compared him, Jackson, and Willis was in showing none of these guys are really that disruptive force at LB. They are all guys who get most of their tackles beyond the LOS. It isn't even a knock on any of them. They are doing their roll. Which is why they are all suited as WILB in a 3-4, or a WSLB in a 4-3. Obviously Willis has far more skills and less holes in his game than Davis. Of course Willis is also several years younger too.

Guest Masters
Davis has always gotten deceptively high TFL numbers for a crummy linebacker. He had 6 this year.

By the by, what site do you use to dig up the TFL? I have a bitch of a time finding a good sight to easily look it up.

Guest Aloysius

Well, how many NFL linebackers notch double digit TFL's? I can't find any.

In general, higher TFL totals mean that a 3-4 ILB is making plays near (and behind) the LOS. If you go through the top guys, they usually have around 5-7 TFL's.

For that reason, it's notable that DQ only had 2 TFL's this year.

Guest Masters
Well, how many NFL linebackers notch double digit TFL's? I can't find any.

In general, higher TFL totals mean that a 3-4 ILB is making plays near (and behind) the LOS. If you go through the top guys, they usually have around 5-7 TFL's.

For that reason, it's notable that DQ only had 2 TFL's this year.

Not many. But having watched SF (being on the west coast gets you a lot of their games), Willis is like Davis or Jackson, in that a good number of their tackles are coming down field. Which might also explain why there was little talk about Willis this year, after all the coverage he got last year as a rookie. He did have an unbelievably productive year as a rookie, as far as total tackles.

Jackson will never be a high TFL guy, I don't think. But I do think he fits the WILB roll very well.

Not many. But having watched SF (being on the west coast gets you a lot of their games), Willis is like Davis or Jackson, in that a good number of their tackles are coming down field. Which might also explain why there was little talk about Willis this year, after all the coverage he got last year as a rookie. He did have an unbelievably productive year as a rookie, as far as total tackles.

Jackson will never be a high TFL guy, I don't think. But I do think he fits the WILB roll very well.

I believe Jackson's TFL numbers would be a lot higher if he was playing behind a good pass rushing WSOLB. With McGinest, Jackson had to play back and try to string out runs. With a better SILB next to him and a solid pass rushing WILB he would be allowed to play a lot more agressively.

Jackson doesn't get to roam and move around like a Ray Lewis does. Because of his supporting cast, he has to stay a home.

Guest Masters
I believe Jackson's TFL numbers would be a lot higher if he was playing behind a good pass rushing WSOLB. With McGinest, Jackson had to play back and try to string out runs. With a better SILB next to him and a solid pass rushing WILB he would be allowed to play a lot more agressively.

Jackson doesn't get to roam and move around like a Ray Lewis does. Because of his supporting cast, he has to stay a home.

I guess I'd slightly agree with that. Though I'd say if CLE ever mixed up which LB was blitzing, his might have been higher.

You are right that he was asked to play more support behind Willie and Hall (when he was in).

Archived