THE BROWNS BOARD

Week 9 NFL MOCK

tampadawgs

brownsb_logo.gif Cleveland Browns: Tajh Boyd, QB, Clemson Clemson_logo.gif
The Browns obviously have to grab a quarterback with one of their two selections. Brandon Weeden is awful with his backhanded, underhanded and hook-shot passes. Brian Hoyer was decent in his two full games, but he's likely not the long-term answer. Cleveland's new regime has to find the quarterback it wants to roll with going forward.

Tajh Boyd struggled in a big game against Florida State and has some height issues, which is why I've moved him down in my mock draft. However, he's still worthy of being chosen in the middle of the first round.

(PLease NO I think this guy SUCKS)

brownsb_logo.gif Cleveland Browns: A.J. Johnson, ILB, Tennessee Tennessee_logo.gif

The Browns have a great front seven, but the one liability in the group is Craig Robertson, who has been abused in coverage this season. A.J. Johnson is the best player available and happens to fill a big need.

brownsb_logo.gif Cleveland Browns: Craig Loston, S, LSU LSU_logo.gif

Here's some secondary help for the Browns, who could use someone to challenge Tashaun Gipson at safety.

brownsb_logo.gif Cleveland Browns: Donte Moncrief, WR, Ole Miss Mississippi_logo.gif

Brad Nessler called Greg Little "Mr. Dependable." That's pretty accurate, but only if you're depending on Little dropping passes. The Browns need a new No. 2 wideout.

brownsb_logo.gif Cleveland Browns: Charles Sims, RB, West Virginia WestVirginia_logo.gif

The Browns apparently plan on courting Ben Tate in free agency, but what if he never hits the market or chooses to sign elsewhere?

Now this is all of Walterfootball.com I do not like any pick, but the last two IMO

brownsb_logo.gif Cleveland Browns: Tajh Boyd, QB, Clemson Clemson_logo.gif

The Browns obviously have to grab a quarterback with one of their two selections. Brandon Weeden is awful with his backhanded, underhanded and hook-shot passes. Brian Hoyer was decent in his two full games, but he's likely not the long-term answer. Cleveland's new regime has to find the quarterback it wants to roll with going forward.

Tajh Boyd struggled in a big game against Florida State and has some height issues, which is why I've moved him down in my mock draft. However, he's still worthy of being chosen in the middle of the first round.

(PLease NO I think this guy SUCKS)

brownsb_logo.gif Cleveland Browns: A.J. Johnson, ILB, Tennessee Tennessee_logo.gif

The Browns have a great front seven, but the one liability in the group is Craig Robertson, who has been abused in coverage this season. A.J. Johnson is the best player available and happens to fill a big need.

brownsb_logo.gif Cleveland Browns: Craig Loston, S, LSU LSU_logo.gif

Here's some secondary help for the Browns, who could use someone to challenge Tashaun Gipson at safety.

brownsb_logo.gif Cleveland Browns: Donte Moncrief, WR, Ole Miss Mississippi_logo.gif

Brad Nessler called Greg Little "Mr. Dependable." That's pretty accurate, but only if you're depending on Little dropping passes. The Browns need a new No. 2 wideout.

brownsb_logo.gif Cleveland Browns: Charles Sims, RB, West Virginia WestVirginia_logo.gif

The Browns apparently plan on courting Ben Tate in free agency, but what if he never hits the market or chooses to sign elsewhere?

Now this is all of Walterfootball.com I do not like any pick, but the last two IMO

I'm usually on board with Walter Football's choices, but wow... this is bad.

First, Boyd isn't hardly even considered a top 5 QB prospect anymore, let alone a top 12 overall pick. I'm not sure who the Browns will target in the first, but I can almost guarantee it's not Boyd.

Then, do they really believe that we would take a LB and S with our next two picks over our glaring need at a reliable WR2? I'd be pretty shocked if we didn't go for a WR with our second first (if we didn't trade it to move up) or our 2nd round pick. Not sure which WR have late first/early second round grades on them, but it seems like Lee, Watkins, and Evans could fall anywhere in the 15-40 range, depending on how the draft goes.

Overall, I think they got the positions right as far as which ones to draft, I'm just not a fan of the order in which they were picked. And definitely not a fan of the Boyd pick.

As much as I'd like to see us draft QB, WR and RB with the top 3 picks, I don't think this FO will go for the 'sexy' picks like that. We also have needs at ILB, OG, maybe a RT, maybe a DB.

unfortunately i think this FO is all about the sexy pick, but it wouldn't be boyd.

i agree with you in your assessment of what the top 3 picks should look like...CB, 2 OLmen, RB, WR, QB. mix an match and pick where they fall.

We fall to the #12 overall?

"Tajh Boyd struggled in a big game against Florida State and has some height issues..."

Sounds like our guy... LOL...

Waste of pixels...

As much as I'd like to see us draft QB, WR and RB with the top 3 picks, I don't think this FO will go for the 'sexy' picks like that. We also have needs at ILB, OG, maybe a RT, maybe a DB.

I don't see any major needs on the oline unless they want to let Mack go and replace him.

Pinkston should be eligible ... This week? May be the best run blocking guard we have, but I doubt he is going in there because Chud praised our pass blocking last week.

Z

I don't see any major needs on the oline unless they want to let Mack go and replace him.

Pinkston should be eligible ... This week? May be the best run blocking guard we have, but I doubt he is going in there because Chud praised our pass blocking last week.

Z

pinkston returning as our best blocking guard (the guy that's hurt all the time) shows just how weak our right side of the line is.

Our line is pretty good at pass-pro, when they don't have to do it for 5+ seconds like with Weeden. But they do appear to be pretty bad at run blocking. And mitchell schwartz looked very rookie-like in the first half of this season, so maybe they'll try to upgrade at RT.

It seems to me that the biggest need has shifted from DB to ILB. Partly because of the improved play of Skrine - who, let's forget, wasn't even a player until college, so is hopefully still on an upward curve. But also partly because of the way we've been exposed over the middle with TEs. The front seems to be doing their job, and the edge rushers, when all are healthy, are getting pressure, currently we're averaging 3.25 sacks per game.

After that, a real ball hawk DB would be next. We don't generate a lot of turnovers in general, but we seem really not to get any interceptions. Good at breaking up passes, the guys are always there when the pass isn't broken up to prevent YAC, the only thing that's missing to make this D elite (apart from that pesky third down thing) is takeaways.

I think Walter Football is way, way, way off-base on these picks. First of all, the FO already stated that last year's draft was about improving the defense. This year will be about improving the offense, starting with QB, and they are not going to use any of the first or second round picks on a defense that is already solid. They can address CB with free-agency, though the way Skrine has played that might not even be necessary. They may also address WR and RB in free agency, but if they don't, our top picks are going to be spent on QB, WR, OL and RB (I'm hoping in that order). If we do snag WR or RB in free-agency, I think we can spend a third rounder on a ILB or a second TE.

I would get more weapons for Hoyer and see what he can do with a full array of weapons.. There's a chance next years QB draft could be loaded depending on what the underclassmen do. Could have Bridgewater, Mariotta, Hundley, Miller and Winston in the draft..

Archived