THE BROWNS BOARD

From Draft Day to Disney World

Guest Aloysius

Guest Aloysius

After the Giants won the Super Bowl last year, people brought up how crucial their '05 draft was to the team's success. Despite being short a 1st and 5th Round pick because of the Eli Manning trade, the Giants were able to come out of the draft with starting cornerback Corey Webster (2nd Round), stud pass-rusher Justin Tuck (3rd Round), and bowling ball of a RB Brandon Jacobs (4th Round). All of those guys played pivotal roles in the Giants' Super Bowl run, and all of them (once Jacobs is re-signed) will have earned big contract extensions with the club.

If the Cardinals end up winning the Super Bowl, I suspect people will keep on talking about their incredible '04 draft haul. In that draft, they brought in #1 receiver Larry Fitzgerald (1st Round), stud linebacker Karlos Dansby (2nd Round), explosive DT Darnell Dockett (3rd Round), and emerging DE Antonio Smith (5th Round).

That's three guys who are better than anyone on the Browns roster (other than Shaun Rogers and Joe Thomas), and another guy who'd start for us at DE.

Of course, these kinds of drafts don't happen every year, and being that good requires a bit of luck. But it should give some hope to us Browns fans that a great draft could turn our beloved franchise around.

Hell, if a perennial loser like Arizona can make it to the Super Bowl because of some good drafting, surely a team with as dedicated a draft geek community as ours should be able to come up with a draft day yield that resembles a Pro Bowl roster.

So keep up the hope. And keep the draft geekery going.

Once Pittsburgh wins Super Bowl 43, you Brownies should lament your disasterous '04 draft in which you traded up for Kellen Winslow and allowed my team to acquire Ben Roethlisberger. After all you didn't need him because you had, who was it, Jeff Garcia mayhaps? Don't worry, I'll be sure to thank you sometime after our celebration party (something, sadly you likely will never experience).

Archived