THE BROWNS BOARD

Hoyer vs. Campbell

Adoug319

Hoyer or Campbell?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. After seeing each start 2 games, who would you choose?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After seeing both Hoyer and Campbell start 2 games...who would you take to be our qb if you had to pick one?

At this point I would go with Hoyer, although it is kind of splitting hairs. I know Campbell is more mobile than Hoyer, but Hoyer displays greater accuracy in my opinion. Campbell played outstanding today but I don't think he has the same kind of touch that Hoyer seemed to have. Hoyer also was able to get Cameron involved in the offense which no other QB on our roster seems to be able to do. But in fairness, I'm sure teams are gameplanning for him now that he has shown to have a big impact for our offense.

Bottom line, we should keep both for next year, draft a QB in the early rounds, and release Weeden.

I think that's what the Browns would like to do. Certainly not what's best for Campbell or Hoyer, who would like to be Day One starters somewhere (if Campbell keeps playing like this, he's a GREAT trade chip).

Amazing how good this team is with just competent or decent quarterbacking (although Campbell was more than just that today).

Hands down, Hoyer.

While Campbell is clearly not the "shot" QB I thought he was, he just does not provide the spark we need.... the spark that Hoyer provided in abundance. Let the quiet, competent QB be the back up. I want the spark to start.

bbb2 is dead on with his accuracy comment. Campbell got away with a couple more throws today. Made some pretty throws to be sure, but made some pretty bad ones as well.

Wow, I didn't expect it to be that lopsided. While I agree Hoyer did a great job bringing a spark to the team, I think Campbell is doing an amazing job! 5 Tds 0 pics in 2 games against the best D in the league and the defending Super Bowl champs. That's impressive. Teams feed off of the energy of the qb, and the browns seem so calm and relaxed, and confident. At least on the offensive side of the ball.

Campbell 45-71 63.3% 556 yards 5 TD 0 INT Rating 111.0

Hoyer 55-92 59.7% 590 yards 5 TD 3 INT Rating 86.2

The Chiefs have the 3rd best passing defense and 9th ranked team defense while the Ravens have the 15th best passing defense and12th ranked team defense.

The Bengals passing defense ranks in at 11th while their overall defense is 6th, while the Vikings come in at 29th passing and 29th overall.

Campbell is performing better against better defenses.

Honestly, I might rather have Campbell.

What this is showing is that Chorv's offense needs only a smart, experienced QB at the helm who understands the game. Not a raw, athletic freak that we'd have to trade up to get.

Neither Campbell nor Hoyer is overly athletic. They aren't physical specimens. They are smart, they are decisive, and they are mobile enough to evade pressure and extend a play. They don't run 4.4's, they don't have howitzers attached to their shoulders, they aren't 6'5, 230 LB workout warriors. They are QB's. They take the snap, find the open receiver, and deliver the ball on time and with precision. That's all we need.

We can easily get away with taking a QB either in the late first round, second round, or third round and letting them develop.

We have a team that is finally talented enough to compete and it coincides with having a coaching staff smart enough to know how to use them.

Barring injuries, this is a team capable of making the playoffs. This is a team that played good (not great, but good) football today.

We can ride with Hoyer or Campbell for a couple of years while we groom our Aaron Rodgers. And we can still be competitive in the meantime. We can still have our eyes on the Lombardi. It doesn't have to be one or the other. We can compete for the championship without our future franchise QB at the helm.

You have to expect a bit of homerism on this board, Adoug. Of course the guys will want as Cleveland born guy when the margin of difference is so razor thin.

Me, I tend to side with the guy that's actually performing better.

Either way, you can't go wrong. I love both guys and would relish either of them being our day 1 starters next season. It's not a bad predicament to be in.

The Chiefs have the 3rd best passing defense and 9th ranked team defense while the Ravens have the 15th best passing defense and12th ranked team defense.

The Bengals passing defense ranks in at 11th while their overall defense is 6th, while the Vikings come in at 29th passing and 29th overall.

What this is showing is that Chorv's offense needs only a smart, experienced QB at the helm who understands the game. Not a raw, athletic freak that we'd have to trade up to get.

Neither Campbell nor Hoyer is overly athletic. They aren't physical specimens. They are smart, they are decisive, and they are mobile enough to evade pressure and extend a play. They don't run 4.4's, they don't have howitzers attached to their shoulders, they aren't 6'5, 230 LB workout warriors. They are QB's. They take the snap, find the open receiver, and deliver the ball on time and with precision. That's all we need.

We can easily get away with taking a QB either in the late first round, second round, or third round and letting them develop.

We have a team that is finally talented enough to compete and it coincides with having a coaching staff smart enough to know how to use them.

Barring injuries, this is a team capable of making the playoffs. This is a team that played good (not great, but good) football today.

We can ride with Hoyer or Campbell for a couple of years while we groom our Aaron Rodgers. And we can still be competitive in the meantime. We can still have our eyes on the Lombardi. It doesn't have to be one or the other. We can compete for the championship without our future franchise QB at the helm.

I completely agree. I'm fine with picking a QB in round 1 since we have two picks anyways, but I'm not trading up for anybody. I'm fine with a 3 way competition next year between Campbell, Hoyer and whoever we draft going into next season. Other than the picks in the Minnesota game, I really wasn't worried when Hoyer threw most of his passes. Campbell still scares me from time to time but the guy has stepped up and played great.

Campbell isn't afraid to check down, and neither was Hoyer. Their internal clock is in tune with the offense. When options one and two (and sometimes three) are covered, they know to turn and hit the dump off. Weeds doesn't.

The biggest difference to me is timing and placement. Weeds would deliver the ball a little later on crossing routes, slants and ins, but he'd fire it in their faster to try and make up for it. Campbell and Hoyer deliver the ball on time and hit their receivers in stride.

man this thread is like an insult to injury. literally.

one guy is out, the other guy until 2 weeks ago was the third stringer.

if tom brady goes down and mallet comes in and plays lights out do you think there is some dumb schmuck on the pats board with a poll thread asking this question?

just fuckin stoopid.

man this thread is like an insult to injury. literally.

one guy is out, the other guy until 2 weeks ago was the third stringer.

if tom brady goes down and mallet comes in and plays lights out do you think there is some dumb schmuck on the pats board with a poll thread asking this question?

just fuckin stoopid.

You don't make sense. And it's a hypothetical question...

Also, I'm not a dumb shmuck, no need to take your internal hatred for yourself out on me.

Edit: so I think I deciphered you're inept drunken post... Are you seriously comparing Brian Hoyer to Tom Brady?

just fuckin stoopid.

I think I would go with Campbell. He has shown a lot of talent. I about shit myself when he went down and Weeden came back in, felt like I got hit by a car! Luckily, he came back or we would have lost without a doubt. Hoyer had moments of greatness, and then made some outright shitty interceptions. Hoyer would be my backup.

Neither know how or when to slide, but Campbell has shown that the shovel pass can be used for good, and not just evil, so he's my favorite this morning.

Just wondering how Turner and Chud watched all three all Summer long and said "Ya, the redhead ... he's way better than the other two."

Zombo

OK.

Because we are 4-1 when they start, and the only loss was to a 9-0 team.

And we beat Cincy with one and Balt with the other.

But, OK, they suck.

Zombo

Zombo I realize you are being sarcastic but 80 percent of the threads here talk about the new quarterback that the front office is going to draft.

So apparently they are thinking neither as well.

(whether or not I agree with that)

WSS

Zombo I realize you are being sarcastic but 80 percent of the threads here talk about the new quarterback that the front office is going to draft.

So apparently they are thinking neither as well.

(whether or not I agree with that)

WSS

Well, the reality is that this administration is going to draft a young QB and groom him.

But I'll worry about that after the season, I don't get into the speculation until I see where we stand after the season.

But I'm very happy that both Hoyer, and so far Campbell, stepped in and stepped up, and showed they can move this offense and provide leadership and win games.

By the way, both guys were brought in by this administration, so I don't know why they would be in a hurry to get rid of either of them.

It appears they were right about their ability.

The only guy that has let them down was the guy the past admin drafted.

We are in a good situation with two veterans who can win games and two first round draft picks.

Hoyer will be back, he's under contract, not sure if Camps signed a one-year or two-year deal ... anyone know?

Zombo

Well, the reality is that this administration is going to draft a young QB and groom him.

But I'll worry about that after the season, I don't get into the speculation until I see where we stand after the season.

But I'm very happy that both Hoyer, and so far Campbell, stepped in and stepped up, and showed they can move this offense and provide leadership and win games.

By the way, both guys were brought in by this administration, so I don't know why they would be in a hurry to get rid of either of them.

It appears they were right about their ability.

The only guy that has let them down was the guy the past admin drafted.

We are in a good situation with two veterans who can win games and two first round draft picks.

Hoyer will be back, he's under contract, not sure if Camps signed a one-year or two-year deal ... anyone know?

Zombo

Looked it up, Campbell signed a two year contract too ... good move again by these guys.

So both Campbell and Hoyer are under contract for next year, we can bring along a rookie the old school way and he can sit, especially if we are winning.

Zombo

I'll take Campbell all day... More experienced and makes better decisions with the football. How many INTs has he thrown??? That's right... 0.

Campbell has done everything we've needed to win... #1 protect the football.

When you look at the two head to head, Campbell pretty much wins in every area except he's not from Cleveland. Think about it...1st round talent, who's never gotten a full chance to shine. 4 different OCs in Washington, and breaking his collar bone after a 4-2 start in Oakland, getting signed to backup Cutler, then getting signed to backup Weeden... This guy is hungry and talented, and he probably has 2 or 3 more good years in him.

Hoyer... just not sure. Too small a sample size...

And by the way... I'm actually shocked I'm saying that^^ b/c I had no interest in watching Campbell play this year when I heard we signed him. I was glad we went to Hoyer when BW got hurt, and was very skeptical when we went to Campbell 2 weeks ago... but man... he looks good...

Not to metion Campbell is making more receivers relevant. Little has become a beast since Campbell has taken over. Barnage has a TD for god sakes. Hoyer will make a great backup for this team but Campbell is the man going forward. Next year too.

Archived